**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Mar 17, 2014 at 6:22 PM Post #16,772 of 22,116
  oof, this is a helluva long thread.

I'm looking to upgrade from the ATH-M50. I'm considering these since Amazon has them for $300, which is apparently a good deal. I was also considering the AT-AD900X as my first open-back headphones. Driving them off my computer at least for now with a Fiio E17. I listen to a lot of rock, metal, and electronic music. This wouldn't be for super-critical symphonic listening, but I want something accurate. I like powerful, accurate, fast bass. Something that will work with the super lows of Drum & Bass, but also rock and metal.

I'm a little confused, because the reviews of these headphones are all over the place. Some say they have no sound stage. Some say they are super sibilant and painful to use. Some say they're the best thing you can get for $300. 

Any advice?

I love my ATH-M50's and couldnt possible consider the HE-400's a replacement. They will be an upgrade in some ways, but those will depend on how you like to listen to and experience your music. Its really something only you can answer for yourself. Buy the HE-400's from Amazon as they have a great return policy, give them a try and send them back if you dont love them. Simple as that. Dont ask or listen to anyone on the net telling you what you need to hear for yourself.

Mar 17, 2014 at 6:25 PM Post #16,773 of 22,116

Isn't the A900x a closed-back? 

I see that the HD650 is significantly more expensive - HE-400 is at the top of my range right now. I'm a little surprised at how fiddly these seem to be. Maybe I'd be in over my head.

Yes, a900x is closed back but sound stage is deeper and wider than both the HE-400 and HD650 from memory. I think the a900x has angled drivers which helps with this. Also, my Beyer DT770 is closed back with a port and has a bigger sound stage than the HE-400. I think when people say open backs always have a bigger sound stage it's not always true. Then again we all hear differently and our brains 'make up' acoustic space in our heads.

The thing about the a900x is there are these moments where you hear instruments and vocals zip back and forth and off into the depths around your head. I've had no other headphone that startled me this way. I'm no expert, but if anyone else has experience with the a900x and the HE-400 I'd love to hear their thoughts.

Mar 17, 2014 at 6:35 PM Post #16,774 of 22,116

I love my ATH-M50's and couldnt possible consider the HE-400's a replacement. They will be an upgrade in some ways, but those will depend on how you like to listen to and experience your music. Its really something only you can answer for yourself. Buy the HE-400's from Amazon as they have a great return policy, give them a try and send them back if you dont love them. Simple as that. Dont ask or listen to anyone on the net telling you what you need to hear for yourself.

I like my M50s as well - they were my first "good" headphone, but after hours they can feel like I'm wearing a helmet, a little isolated. I feel like i'm ready try out an open headphone, for something a little more atmospheric.

Are you ok with trying them from Amazon? There is no restocking fee so you have nothing to lose but I know some people don't want the hassle of returning anything. I don't think you can go terribly 'wrong' with the HE-400.

One thing though, what amp?

My only real reservation about doing a Try-Buy from amazon is that these things apparently require a lot of burn-in...I suppose I'd get a general sense of them in the first few minutes, but I wouldn't feel right doing the full burn-in cycle and then returning.

Amp - right now, a Fiio E17. I use it both with my portable and home setup. I have read that they can drive this well enough. I could upgrade down the road if need be. 

Mar 17, 2014 at 6:41 PM Post #16,775 of 22,116
oof, this is a helluva long thread.

I'm looking to upgrade from the ATH-M50. I'm considering these since Amazon has them for $300, which is apparently a good deal. I was also considering the AT-AD900X as my first open-back headphones. Driving them off my computer at least for now with a Fiio E17. I listen to a lot of rock, metal, and electronic music. This wouldn't be for super-critical symphonic listening, but I want something accurate. I like powerful, accurate, fast bass. Something that will work with the super lows of Drum & Bass, but also rock and metal.

I'm a little confused, because the reviews of these headphones are all over the place. Some say they have no sound stage. Some say they are super sibilant and painful to use. Some say they're the best thing you can get for $300. 

Any advice?
It really comes down to personal taste. It can be a love or hate thing. I've grown to really love mine, but it took some time and pad modding. They were always impressive and spectacular cans, I just couldn't abide the treble issues that came with certain recordings. Coming from the M50s and given what you say you want out of these things, I have no doubt that you'll be blown away by them. I would go for it mate.

Mar 17, 2014 at 6:50 PM Post #16,776 of 22,116
I haven't noticed any burn in changes with these.

Mar 17, 2014 at 7:17 PM Post #16,777 of 22,116
  My first impressions were similar.
Not sure If i got used to them or if they burned in but now I dont feel like they are laid back or distant.

Are you using any amp? These HP do benefit from a amp that can output about 660-900 mW power.

Yep, I've got an Audinst HUD-MX1 going to a Headroom Micro Amp.  I decided to return them to Amazon.  Just couldn't get over the perceived veil.  On the other hand, if anybody's looking for a pair of HiFiMAN velour pads which just came in this afternoon, I've got an unopened package:).  Next up:  Beyer Custom One Pro.

Mar 18, 2014 at 11:11 AM Post #16,779 of 22,116
I have ATH-M50s that I use at work and those were the first real cans that I ever owned. I then bought the HE-400 for use at home and I really enjoy listening to music on those. As others as have said the treble can be a bit harsh and I have noticed this as well compared to the M50. That is the only real downside I have noticed so far. However I do find myself just sitting in my desk chair and enjoying the music from my HE400. I did EQ them a bit to tone down the treble (6k-10k) range and they sound great. I listen to rock (classic, alt, indie) and R&B and they do well. 

I have my HE400 being driving by the Schiit Magni/Modi stack.

Mar 18, 2014 at 11:20 AM Post #16,780 of 22,116
I have ATH-M50s that I use at work and those were the first real cans that I ever owned. I then bought the HE-400 for use at home and I really enjoy listening to music on those. As others as have said the treble can be a bit harsh and I have noticed this as well compared to the M50. That is the only real downside I have noticed so far. However I do find myself just sitting in my desk chair and enjoying the music from my HE400. I did EQ them a bit to tone down the treble (6k-10k) range and they sound great. I listen to rock (classic, alt, indie) and R&B and they do well. 

I have my HE400 being driving by the Schiit Magni/Modi stack.

How do You find the Schiit stack with He-400? I'm interested in purchasing an amp For my Hifiman :)

Inviato da Teo iPhone 5 Tapatalk

Mar 18, 2014 at 11:51 AM Post #16,781 of 22,116
I like it so far. The only other dac/amp that I have used is the E17 for my M50 so may be hard for me to give a proper comparison. I mainly got the Schiit stack on recommendations from others on this thread.. It was either the Schiit stack or the O2+Odac..

Mar 21, 2014 at 6:06 AM Post #16,782 of 22,116
How do You find the Schiit stack with He-400? I'm interested in purchasing an amp For my Hifiman :)

Inviato da Teo iPhone 5 Tapatalk

To jump in here, I find the magni to do well with the HE400. However when it's combined with the modi the treble becomes a bit harsh. It also seems to close down the sound stage as well.

But then, that's just my opinion and I'll admit I'm a bit treble sensitive. My step up schiit stack (uber bifrost and lyr) is great with these but that's also a substantial step up in cost as well. The magni is a surprising amp for the cost, I just didn't find the modi to offer the same bang per buck.

Mar 21, 2014 at 10:49 AM Post #16,783 of 22,116
Does anyone know if this site is off a lot on measurements ?
I was surprised where the 400's sat in bass measurements vs the other cans....

Mar 21, 2014 at 10:51 AM Post #16,784 of 22,116
Interesting that you say that the modi adds more treble. I am not sure if I noticed it more with or without the modi in-line. I think the harsh treble was always there. I do find that I have to EQ to tone it down but they sound great once I do that. 

Mar 21, 2014 at 10:57 AM Post #16,785 of 22,116
  Does anyone know if this site is off a lot on measurements ?
I was surprised where the 400's sat in bass measurements vs the other cans....

The HE-400 is not level matched there to take into consideration an entire DB reading.  All the graphs are level matched based off a 1khz signal.  If you raise the HE-400 measurement up so that its bass aligns with the LCD2 you'll get a better idea of what it looks like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back