**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jan 27, 2014 at 11:31 PM Post #16,247 of 22,116
Damn, $300 for a new pair is pretty sweet. I just spent that on a used set, but they come with the Jerg pads and are nice and burned in!

When I can drop the spare cash, I'm going to get some wood for 'em and a new cable.

Jan 28, 2014 at 10:03 AM Post #16,248 of 22,116
Has anyone made a video tutorial of how to make the Jergpads? The imgur album is great, but it would be nice to see it all happening - im just afraid that i might be misunderstanding some of the pictures/descriptions. 

Hoping to do the jergpad and grill mod to my HE400 to take it to the next level. 

Jan 28, 2014 at 10:48 AM Post #16,249 of 22,116
  Has anyone made a video tutorial of how to make the Jergpads? The imgur album is great, but it would be nice to see it all happening - im just afraid that i might be misunderstanding some of the pictures/descriptions. 

Hoping to do the jergpad and grill mod to my HE400 to take it to the next level. 

What step are you concerned about? Turning the pads inside-out is probably the strangest step. You can be fairly aggressive, you won't hurt them. Just remember to do the spacers first. You can pinch and pull them right out. Once you get them turned inside out, gently try to get them back into a sort of 'round shape' - the memory foam will eventually settle out a little. Also, use the seam and the existing holes as a guide - you can cut little holes right up to the seam and it will be fine.

Remember, these things are put together by people.

If you are too intimidated, just buy the $10 velours and enjoy the best possible sound for no risk and no labor lol.

Jan 28, 2014 at 11:29 AM Post #16,251 of 22,116
  Hey everyone,

I have been looking at these headphones for electronic and hip hop primarily. Do these do the job?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Silent.

They more than do the job, especially for electronic. These are the headphones for edm. Hip hop is also awesome because of the bass and lower mids (male vocals).

Jan 28, 2014 at 11:31 AM Post #16,252 of 22,116

They more than do the job, especially for electronic. These are the headphones for edm. Hip hop is also awesome because of the bass and lower mids (male vocals).

Great, thank you! I just might pull the trigger on these!
regular_smile .gif

Jan 28, 2014 at 11:35 AM Post #16,253 of 22,116
  Great, thank you! I just might pull the trigger on these!
regular_smile%20.gif

Keep in mind the headphone does have a treble spike which can be annoying on some EDM and hip hop recordings. With a little EQ on certain recordings they are literally perfect for those genres (imo)

Jan 28, 2014 at 12:03 PM Post #16,255 of 22,116

What step are you concerned about? Turning the pads inside-out is probably the strangest step. You can be fairly aggressive, you won't hurt them. Just remember to do the spacers first. You can pinch and pull them right out. Once you get them turned inside out, gently try to get them back into a sort of 'round shape' - the memory foam will eventually settle out a little. Also, use the seam and the existing holes as a guide - you can cut little holes right up to the seam and it will be fine.

Remember, these things are put together by people.

If you are too intimidated, just buy the $10 velours and enjoy the best possible sound for no risk and no labor lol.

When i bought my HE400 used, it came with both the pleather and velour pads (prev owner ~1hr of head use, but ive lightly washed anyways) - would the Jergpad give me much improvement? I figure since i have both pads anyways..might as well try.

1. When prepping the velour pads, basically you want to cut out all the vinyl - aka keep only the velour intact AND the plastic that hooks into the rings? 
2. With the pleather, the damping holes are cut once it is turned inside out? And attaching the velour, basically means covering the pleather with the velour shell? Both are inside out when placing the velour on top of the pleather?

I think everything after that is pretty straight forward, im thinking of just prepping the pleather pads cuz they wont really see the light of day anyways - see how that goes - then do the velour if i feel i didnt mess up :) 

Looking to increase the bass response, not that its bad, its very good - but compared to my "Basshead can" UE600s its just not as head bopping (in a way). I guess i wanna make it more fun when it comes to action games/pop music. 

The grill mod looks easy, but im having trouble figuring out how to pop the retention rings - its like i would need to use a flat head but i dont wanna scratch the rings/outer cup. 

Jan 28, 2014 at 1:46 PM Post #16,256 of 22,116
Originally Posted by q2klepto /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I figure since i have both pads anyways..might as well try.

1. When prepping the velour pads, basically you want to cut out all the vinyl - aka keep only the velour intact AND the plastic that hooks into the rings? 
2. With the pleather, the damping holes are cut once it is turned inside out? And attaching the velour, basically means covering the pleather with the velour shell? Both are inside out when placing the velour on top of the pleather?

I think everything after that is pretty straight forward, im thinking of just prepping the pleather pads cuz they wont really see the light of day anyways - see how that goes - then do the velour if i feel i didnt mess up :) 

Looking to increase the bass response, not that its bad, its very good - but compared to my "Basshead can" UE600s its just not as head bopping (in a way). I guess i wanna make it more fun when it comes to action games/pop music. 

The grill mod looks easy, but im having trouble figuring out how to pop the retention rings - its like i would need to use a flat head but i dont wanna scratch the rings/outer cup. 

DON"T mod the velours. Yikes. Some people cannabolize them to put a velour 'donut' on top of the pleather, but I've never really seen the point in that and I don't like the look anyhow. I am pretty sure it was tried, and found ineffective. The velours are apparently better damped stock than the pleathers.

1. Leave the velours alone. I Highly recommend just doing the damping hole mode to the pleathers first and giving them a listen. The velour cap on top likely has NO audible benefit - just a comfort one. Same with the "Bass vents". They create a small bump around 50 hz, but a simple EQ bump can do the same thing without ruining bass extension / putting pressure on the plastic retaining clips.
2. YES - damping holes are cut when they are inside-out. You'll see 4 small holes already in place. They can help guide you. Use a marker to select places to cut. Remember to leave adequate space between holes - you are weakening the fabric after all. It would be best to have something small and very sharp to cut with. I used scissors and was OK with just diamond or square-shapes. Try to be exact insofar as getting the same cutout on both pads. Wouldn't want one sounding noticeably better than the other!
You don't need the whole velour skin if you are going to do that step, just the round part that could be taped / stiched to the top of the pleather. Again, I just wouldn't personally do that unless you decide you want the feel of velour.

This is not a miracle mod. I don't think it 'adds' more bass. What it seems to do is reduce resonances that are present in the midrange frequencies that are a bit fatiguing and which create a sense of distortion. I personally think the HE-400 seemed a bit warmer, weightier, and more balanced following the simple mod. But some resonance remained with mine, and going back to the velours, I really think they bring out the best in the HE-400.

I haven't tried the grill mod yet - not sure if I want to yet. I would encourage you to try one step at a time and listen carefully to changes. I literally gave myself weeks to get used to the pleathers, then the modded pleathers, before switching back to the velours. The changes are subtle and you don't want to do permanant mods for nothing - make sure the changes are audible to you and preferred.

Jan 28, 2014 at 2:20 PM Post #16,257 of 22,116
Awesome, so i can do this while leaving the pleathers alone - add the vents and the padding and all that without touching the velour pads? I suppose if you wanted to you can always stick some kind of fabric with an adhesive. 

Jan 28, 2014 at 3:38 PM Post #16,258 of 22,116
Hey everyone,

I am thinking about getting the HE-400s. I was wondering if a fiio e11 is enough to run these cans? My source will always be a CD player. I want a open, all around can and this seems like a great pair of headphones; please tell me that I will have enough power to run these cans! Also, how do these cans handle Daft Punk?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Silent.

Jan 28, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #16,259 of 22,116
The e11 should be more than adequate in running a he400, but will not be ideal. A lesser amp, the e6, can produce enough power to be more than loud enough, for me at least. I don't have an e11 to test personally, so sorry if my information isn't accurate, but I figure given the e6 I can assume.

Jan 28, 2014 at 4:01 PM Post #16,260 of 22,116
The e11 should be more than adequate in running a he400, but will not be ideal. A lesser amp, the e6, can produce enough power to be more than loud enough, for me at least. I don't have an e11 to test personally, so sorry if my information isn't accurate, but I figure given the e6 I can assume.

Thanks for the reply, I will be ordering these soon; can't wait.
happy_face1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back