**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jan 12, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #15,916 of 22,116
While some might say otherwise, the difference between those amp/DAC setups is marginal. I think you'll be pretty happy with the 400's alone and either amp/DAC will improve that experience. The Magni supplies a lot of power, but I just like how the M/M stack neatly whereas the O2 is sort of a mess with all in ins/outs and ac adapter on the front. And personally I like the Vali more than my Magni, though I hate to complicate this even further for you lol

I also really like the look of the schiit stack, rather than the O2 . And yes it is really complicating, I have changed my mind on what amp i will get like a million times. There are so many different opinions out there.

Jan 12, 2014 at 7:40 PM Post #15,917 of 22,116
I wanted to post my experiences with regrilling these cans. If you haven't tried it, carefully take off the plastic rings and grills and see just how much wider the soundstage is and how much clearer the cans are.

I decided to use this desktop file organizer instead of a trash can so that my grills would come out flat instead of curved.

As you can see, each panel is easily big enough to make cuts for both grills. For this step I used a dremel with a #409 cutoff wheel. Then to smooth out the edges and remove the burrs I used a 1"/30" belt sander.  

The process took a little over an hour. My friend and I made four grills since we each own a pair.

Here is the final result.  I still have 4 panels left from the desktop organizer, enough to make 8 grills. If someone is interested in duplicating this and would like to pay shipping and handling I would be more than happy to mail you an uncut panel.

Jan 12, 2014 at 7:58 PM Post #15,918 of 22,116
  I wanted to post my experiences with regrilling these cans. If you haven't tried it, carefully take off the plastic rings and grills and see just how much wider the soundstage is and how much clearer the cans are.

I decided to use this desktop file organizer instead of a trash can so that my grills would come out flat instead of curved.

As you can see, each panel is easily big enough to make cuts for both grills. For this step I used a dremel with a #409 cutoff wheel. Then to smooth out the edges and remove the burrs I used a 1"/30" belt sander.  

The process took a little over an hour. My friend and I made four grills since we each own a pair.

Here is the final result.  I still have 4 panels left from the desktop organizer, enough to make 8 grills. If someone is interested in duplicating this and would like to pay shipping and handling I would be more than happy to mail you a panel.

Wow, amazing job!

Jan 12, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #15,919 of 22,116
That's really nice, but my first thought when considering doing it myself is "no way, too much dust." Do you find that you have to blow dust out of the drivers every now and then? Is dust a problem at all?

Jan 12, 2014 at 8:06 PM Post #15,920 of 22,116
That's really nice, but my first thought when considering doing it myself is "no way, too much dust." Do you find that you have to blow dust out of the drivers every now and then? Is dust a problem at all?

This is going far (cant find actual quote) but I remember Jerg quoting Fang saying that as long as you don't go outside, the inside dust shouldn't really cause problems :). What I might end up doing in spray gluing a circle of stretched leggings or something on the grill .

Jan 12, 2014 at 8:09 PM Post #15,921 of 22,116

If there's one thing I learned from my DT880s, its that those screens provide as good as a place to trap hairs and particles as they do repelling dust. I disassemble my cans periodically regardless of what state of modification I have them in so for me its worth it.  I could see it as a reason for someone not to do it, but the increase in SQ is too tempting for me to resist haha! (or just glue some women's nylons to the inside of the grill)

Jan 12, 2014 at 8:11 PM Post #15,922 of 22,116

Here is the final result.  I still have 4 panels left from the desktop organizer, enough to make 8 grills. If someone is interested in duplicating this and would like to pay shipping and handling I would be more than happy to mail you a panel.

Very kind of you to offer. After re-reading it, as I should do most things before commenting, I think your offering the panel uncut. Which is still very kind, but in my hands there is no way I could do even if I could find the tools. Cut yes please....uncut they are better of with someone who take advantage of your generosity.

Jan 12, 2014 at 8:21 PM Post #15,924 of 22,116
Yeah, the panel that had the pattern I wanted was $19 bucks but it has much more than I really need so I want it to go to good use. I could probably whip up a couple pairs of finished ones for like $20 bucks each plus a couple bucks to ship them. The problem is they took me somewhere between 60-90 minutes (wasn't timing myself) and pharmacy school is very time consuming. 

Jan 12, 2014 at 8:28 PM Post #15,925 of 22,116
Yeah, the panel that had the pattern I wanted was $19 bucks but it has much more than I really need so I want it to go to good use. I could probably whip up a couple pairs of finished ones for like $20 bucks each plus a couple bucks to ship them. The problem is they took me somewhere between 60-90 minutes (wasn't timing myself) and pharmacy school is very time consuming. 

Any chance of including some samples of what you are majoring in along with the grills? :D

I'm in for $20. for your labor, thanks.
PM me when your ready to ship.

Jan 12, 2014 at 8:33 PM Post #15,926 of 22,116
Any chance of including some samples of what you are majoring in along with the grills?
biggrin.gif

Unfortunately, doing that with the stuff I'm majoring in comes with side effects including but not limited to headache, dizziness, and prison.... we live in a cruel world! hah X-D

Jan 12, 2014 at 9:32 PM Post #15,927 of 22,116
Any chance of including some samples of what you are majoring in along with the grills?
biggrin.gif

Unfortunately, doing that with the stuff I'm majoring in comes with side effects including but not limited to headache, dizziness, and prison.... we live in a cruel world! hah X-D

LOL.....probably not a good idea then to ship samples.

Jan 12, 2014 at 9:39 PM Post #15,928 of 22,116
So. I bought a O2+ODAC combo from someone who ordered a few of them to build them and sell off for fun. It's been used for a month. Let's see if it'll work, I've saved some 60 euros if it does. I'm just a bit sad that it's hideous and someone had a brainfart and set the power plug on the front. A Magni/Vali/Asgard/Lyr + Modi/Bifrost stack would've looked great on the table...

Jan 12, 2014 at 10:28 PM Post #15,929 of 22,116
I think the schiit amp is more powerful, but does it really make that much of a difference? And apparently the odac is the better of the dacs, but mainly I'm going for the schiit magni/modi over the O2/odac is because it's slightly cheaper.

The main issue with the Schiit gear, IMO, is the fixed Gain (5x). That's too much for a lot of listening scenarios. While it should be great for less-efficient headphones, you'll need to cut source volume to use it with more efficient phones and common music. Anyway, the extra power will be great if you end up going with some power-hungry orthos or high impedance phones in the future. But for most low-impedance phones, its likely a bit of overkill sorta like the O2.

I was interested in the Schiit until I realized that the O2/ODAC wins with its selectable gain, 3.5mm jacks (instead of RCAs), and stellar sound quality was overall a better fit for my typical listening needs.

Jan 12, 2014 at 11:04 PM Post #15,930 of 22,116
Can anyone who has heard the Fiio E12 comment on how they sound with these headphones? Especially compared to vali or O2. Do these two sound like a lot better or just a little for someone who probably doesn't have the "audiophile" ear?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back