**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Dec 26, 2013 at 2:26 AM Post #15,467 of 22,116
  It is in fact the 6 button! Required four hands to pull it around but it's on firmly.

weirdd... i tried pretty hard, but i found the he400 headband too wide to fasten all the buttons of the cushion. it does look niice the way you got it set-up. i'm hoping for the sennheiser cushion mod wld work better for me.

Dec 26, 2013 at 7:22 AM Post #15,468 of 22,116
  @dracojcs, another HE400 headband mod would be the sennheiser HD600 headband + velcro: http://www.head-fi.org/t/635480/simple-but-successful-mod-on-he-400s

@Mdraluck23, is that the 4 button headband cushion? I've tried a 6 button headband cushion & I found it does not fit :frowning2:

Thanks for enlighten me!

I've seen that other mod with Senn headband, it's easier and looks nice.

The question now is about what Senn headband should I buy, the HD600 headband has some bumps in it, and the HD650 has only two big bumps on the sides.

I'll probably buy both headbands and test it. This replacement parts are cheaper.

Dec 26, 2013 at 7:27 AM Post #15,469 of 22,116
Thanks for enlighten me! I've seen that other mod with Senn headband, it's easier and looks nice. The question now is about what Senn headband should I buy, the HD600 headband has some bumps in it, and the HD650 has only two big bumps on the sides. I'll probably buy both headbands and test it. This replacement parts are cheaper.

if you do get a chance to do that, please post pictures & impressions!! when I was searching, the HD650 headband was a lot more expensive. if you find a cheap hd650, please link it! :)

Dec 26, 2013 at 8:01 AM Post #15,470 of 22,116
  if you do get a chance to do that, please post pictures & impressions!! when I was searching, the HD650 headband was a lot more expensive. if you find a cheap hd650, please link it! :)

I'm going to buy it from this website, I live in Europe, so the shipping costs are reasonable for me.

http://headphonespares.sennheiser.co.uk/hifi-tv-headphones/hd-650

As you can see, the HD650 is cheaper (I don't know why)

£ 7.88 HD600 Headband padding

£ 6.91 HD650 Headband padding

Dec 26, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #15,471 of 22,116
I opened a pair for Christmas and I am in love with them.  The only thing that makes these less than perfect is when the track gets complicated - i.e. Gladiator - "The Battle".  Things started to sound a bit bloated.  My dad described it as congested.  I am pretty sure it is just power - my Dragonfly is only running on USB power and I know the HE-400's take a ton of power. I am thinking about picking up a Schiit Vali to try out and see if it clears things up.  I got lots of Amazon gift cards and Schiit sells it on Amazon for $10 over their website's price - which I am fine with as I can use the gift cards on it and I get Amazon's stunning support (no restocking fee, $4 Prime 1 Day Shipping, and they will basically let me return it for any reason under the sun).

Dec 26, 2013 at 3:35 PM Post #15,472 of 22,116
  I opened a pair for Christmas and I am in love with them.  The only thing that makes these less than perfect is when the track gets complicated - i.e. Gladiator - "The Battle".  Things started to sound a bit bloated.  My dad described it as congested.  I am pretty sure it is just power - my Dragonfly is only running on USB power and I know the HE-400's take a ton of power. I am thinking about picking up a Schiit Vali to try out and see if it clears things up.  I got lots of Amazon gift cards and Schiit sells it on Amazon for $10 over their website's price - which I am fine with as I can use the gift cards on it and I get Amazon's stunning support (no restocking fee, $4 Prime 1 Day Shipping, and they will basically let me return it for any reason under the sun).

You'll enjoy the 400's more when they're fed more juice, they sound great with the Schiit Lyr, and I'd imagine that any of Schiit Audio's amps would supply more current than the Dragonfly (I could be wrong). Their Vali FAQ's say that the Vali is "less suitable to orthodynamics and other hard-to-drive headphones" yet the 400's are not the most difficult planar magnetic's to drive. Like you said, Amazon makes it very easy to make returns so if the Vali doesn't drive them to your satisfaction all you need do is return the amp. You may be able to find a used Asgard 2 here on the forums and I know that amp will drive the HE-400's and most other headphones very well plus it gives you preamp outputs for added system flexibility.

Best of luck! 

Dec 26, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #15,473 of 22,116
  You'll enjoy the 400's more when they're feed more juice, they sound great with the Schiit Lyr, and I'd imagine that any of Schiit Audio's amps would supply more current than the Dragonfly (I could be wrong). Their Vali FAQ's say that the Vali is "less suitable to orthodynamics and other hard-to-drive headphones" yet the 400's are not the most difficult planar magnetic's to drive. Like you said, Amazon makes it very easy to make returns so if the Vali doesn't drive them to your satisfaction all you need do is return the amp. You may be able to find a used Asgard 2 here on the forums and I know that amp will drive the HE-400's and most other headphones very well plus it gives you preamp outputs for added system flexibility.

Best of luck! 

If I only had the cash... 
wink.gif

Thanks for the quick reply.  I have been doing a lot of reading and the Vali is supposed to pair quite well with the HE-400's.  If the Vali isn't enough I may save my dough and go for an Asgard.  

Dec 26, 2013 at 3:44 PM Post #15,474 of 22,116
Keep us posted. I am still debating whether I go for an He-400 or an He-500. It isn't really the headphone that is the debate, but what amp I need to get the most out of the He-500's if I get them. Spending more on an amp/dac combo than 1 pair of headphones just seems wrong to me, but so be it. Since the He-400 is easier to drive, I might get it for that reason even though I could theoretically afford the He-500 and the amp needed.

Dec 26, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #15,475 of 22,116
sooooooooo, i'm an idiot.  My receivers headphone amplifier sounds like ****.  got my asgard back from warranty today and about pissed myself. pure class A providing that current to the large / micro dynamics and spreading that stuff everywhere in a very timely manner.  These headphones are ALIVE!  definitely liking the velours more.  I don't think i like the closed in of the leather mixed with the openness of the back of all hifimans. 
Anyone wants an apology i will give them one.  Nicolarus  (something like that)

Dec 26, 2013 at 3:55 PM Post #15,476 of 22,116
  Keep us posted. I am still debating whether I go for an He-400 or an He-500. It isn't really the headphone that is the debate, but what amp I need to get the most out of the He-500's if I get them. Spending more on an amp/dac combo than 1 pair of headphones just seems wrong to me, but so be it. Since the He-400 is easier to drive, I might get it for that reason even though I could theoretically afford the He-500 and the amp needed.

Have you thought about the Emotiva Min-x? It is a popular amp for the HE-500 and it costs $169 right now. I use it with the HE-400s because I wanted to experiment. 

Dec 26, 2013 at 3:55 PM Post #15,477 of 22,116

Yep, must be the Dragonfly causing that. The HE-400 is commonly described as having great instrument separation.

Dec 26, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #15,478 of 22,116
raxx,
Some that spend more on a headphone amp and the DAC are using them in a full blown system with a preamp, stereo amp and speakers. So the price of the DAC may seem high when compared to the headphones used but not when compared to the speakers and sub used in the entire system. The Lyr is a tad bit more expensive than the HE-400's, but I personally find it to be a great match for the 400's and you get the added benefit of it being able to drive most any headphone out there. The guys at Schiit Audio know what they're doing, and I'm sure that several of their amps will do the HE-400's or 500's justice. Though I don't own one at the moment the Asgard 2 at $249 is hard to beat and works as a preamp as well (plus it has the gain adjustment).

Best of luck with your decision!

Dec 26, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #15,479 of 22,116

Have you thought about the Emotiva Min-x? It is a popular amp for the HE-500 and it costs $169 right now. I use it with the HE-400s because I wanted to experiment. 

Emotiva is kicking out some real interesting gear, I'm not a huge fan of the look of some of their stuff (maybe it will grow on me), but their is no denying that their gear is well engineered and extremely well built. I may pick up that Mini-X A-100 integrated amp for my son, and I'm very interested in trying out their Stealth DC-1 (DAC/HP Amp/Preamp).

Emotiva kind of reminds me of Adcom back in the day, building really solid gear at lower prices than you'd expect. I hope that they succeed big time, we need more audio gear companies doing what they're doing. 

Dec 26, 2013 at 4:31 PM Post #15,480 of 22,116
  raxx,
Some that spend more on a headphone amp and the DAC are using them in a full blown system with a preamp, stereo amp and speakers. So the price of the DAC may seem high when compared to the headphones used but not when compared to the speakers and sub used in the entire system. The Lyr is a tad bit more expensive than the HE-400's, but I personally find it to be a great match for the 400's and you get the added benefit of it being able to drive most any headphone out there. The guys at Schiit Audio know what they're doing, and I'm sure that several of their amps will do the HE-400's or 500's justice. Though I don't own one at the moment the Asgard 2 at $249 is hard to beat and works as a preamp as well (plus it has the gain adjustment).

Best of luck with your decision!

Yea the Emotiva and Lyr sound like great amps but the thing is, these cans are for my computer and I have limited space on my table. I don't have a big living room for a multi-headphone and speaker set up. I just want something simple. If the Asgard 2 is enough to drive the He-400, then that is all I need. Btw is there a significant difference in DAC's? Like the Modi vs the Bifrost? Thanks for any help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back