**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Dec 19, 2013 at 5:49 PM Post #15,346 of 22,116
Doing the math I guess I was a little conservative, it is more like 8.5x.

Because power is proportional to resistance, 300 ohm resister / 35 ohm he-400 = 8.57

the LD says they put out 350mW @ ~300Ohms so if you just assume we are at that maximum output number, 350mW / 8.57 = only about 40mW of power going to the headphones at max output which you probably needed in order get them to a reasonable volume.

LD says there would be 150mW @ 32 ohms, which should have gotten them a fair bit louder before clipping

Also, I haven't done electronics in a while so anyone feel free to correct me if I am wrong about this.

In the speaker amps thread, I used that ratiometric relationship to try to figure out how much power I was getting from speaker amps, and they told me it didn't work that way. I'm too rusty on my circuits to really explain what's wrong with that approach, but it seems like the better way is to use the formula (((max voltage)*35)/((resistor impedance)+35))^2 /35. I don't know what the max voltage of the Little Dot is though. 

I guess I could use 350 mw @ 300 ohms and P= V^2 /R to get V = (P*R)^0.5 = 10.2 V, in which case I would be getting 32 mw with the resistor adapter. But the problem is that I get V = 14.5 using 350 mw @ 600 ohms, and V = 2.2 using 150 mw @ 32 ohms. IDK which voltage value is most appropriate to use. 

In any case, without the resistor adapter, I only got clipping on low gain. I got clipping on high gain with the resistor adapter, so I imagine I was getting less than 150 mw with the adapter. I was mostly just curious to see if it would sound any different. The real kicker is that when I use the 300 ohm adapter on my speaker amp, I get even less power at 120 mw, but there is absolutely no clipping. Not sure what's going on there. 

Dec 19, 2013 at 6:05 PM Post #15,347 of 22,116
Note for people looking into headband cushion mods:

Contrary to what was said earlier in this thread, the product: "NEW! Replacement Upgrade Headband Comfort Cushion Pad in Leatherette with snap locks" from amazon does NOT fit the wide headband of the HE-400.

Here is an image of the product (has 6 buttons) I am talking about.

If anyone has other headband mod suggestions besides the HD800 + velcro, I would love to hear it :) cheers

Dec 19, 2013 at 6:09 PM Post #15,348 of 22,116
As I'm catching up on these last few pages of posts I'm listening to Arne Domnerus - Jazz At The Pawnshop 24.88 via the HE-400's (driven by Lyr) and it sounds terrific, relaxing and most importantly fun. 

Manbear, what do you think of that Emotiva Mini-X A-100? Its one of a few amps I'm thinking about picking up for my oldest son for a smallish room/office system. Thanks.

Dec 19, 2013 at 6:21 PM Post #15,349 of 22,116

Manbear, what do you think of that Emotiva Mini-X A-100? Its one of a few amps I'm thinking about picking up for my oldest son for a smallish room/office system. Thanks.

I'm pretty happy with it. I'm guessing you are thinking of using it for speakers? I can't really compare it to other speaker amps, but it's a great headphone amp. It's pretty close to neutral, maybe a touch on the lean side but not bright in a harsh way either. Very transparent. The bass is tight and it does a good job of separation/ imaging in the soundstage, as well as resolving low-level details. Build quality is solid too. I don't have any real complaints about it, but the only SS amps I have to compare to are a CMOY and a cruddy Sony receiver. 

Dec 19, 2013 at 6:41 PM Post #15,350 of 22,116
I guess I could use 350 mw @ 300 ohms and P= V^2 /R to get V = (P*R)^0.5 = 10.2 V, in which case I would be getting 32 mw with the resistor adapter. But the problem is that I get V = 14.5 using 350 mw @ 600 ohms, and V = 2.2 using 150 mw @ 32 ohms. IDK which voltage value is most appropriate to use. 

Yeah I don't know enough to un-simplify that formula they came up with. I won't derail this thread anymore, but like you noticed the maximum voltage will go up and down depending on the load. That is why I kept voltage out of the equation and just used the power spec they give:

350 mW @ 300/600 ohm
300 mW @ 120 oh
100 mW @ 32 ohm

Anyway, thanks for your input :)

Dec 19, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #15,351 of 22,116

I'm pretty happy with it. I'm guessing you are thinking of using it for speakers? I can't really compare it to other speaker amps, but it's a great headphone amp. It's pretty close to neutral, maybe a touch on the lean side but not bright in a harsh way either. Very transparent. The bass is tight and it does a good job of separation/ imaging in the soundstage, as well as resolving low-level details. Build quality is solid too. I don't have any real complaints about it, but the only SS amps I have to compare to are a CMOY and a cruddy Sony receiver. 

Thank you.
I like that it'll work as an integrated amp which will take up less space, and I've only heard good things about the design and build quality of their gear. That's cool that its serving you well as a headphone amp. Enjoy those HE-400's!

Dec 19, 2013 at 7:09 PM Post #15,352 of 22,116
Yeah I don't know enough to un-simplify that formula they came up with. I won't derail this thread anymore, but like you noticed the maximum voltage will go up and down depending on the load. That is why I kept voltage out of the equation and just used the power spec they give:

350 mW @ 300/600 ohm
300 mW @ 120 oh
100 mW @ 32 ohm

Anyway, thanks for your input
smily_headphones1.gif

The formula applies the voltage division ratio (headphone impedance + resistor impedance) / (headphone impedance) to the maximum voltage of the amp, using P = V^2 / R.

I don't have mastery of the subject by any means, but it's fun to try to learn. I should just sit myself down with a physics textbook one of these days... 

Dec 19, 2013 at 8:47 PM Post #15,353 of 22,116
I've had these for about a year now and I fall deeper in love with them each time I listen. I love them so much that I'm wondering if upgrading to even better orthos will make a big difference. For those of you who have compared the HE-400s to more expensive offerings from Hifiman or Audeze, what did you think?

Have any of you purchased higher end orthos after living with the HE-400s for a while?

I am hesitant to upgrade because I hear more expensive orthos have less impact, and what I love most about the HE-400s is that "wow" factor. Thoughts?

Dec 19, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #15,355 of 22,116
I've had these for about a year now and I fall deeper in love with them each time I listen. I love them so much that I'm wondering if upgrading to even better orthos will make a big difference. For those of you who have compared the HE-400s to more expensive offerings from Hifiman or Audeze, what did you think?

Have any of you purchased higher end orthos after living with the HE-400s for a while?

I am hesitant to upgrade because I hear more expensive orthos have less impact, and what I love most about the HE-400s is that "wow" factor. Thoughts?
I own both the hifiman he-400, and sennheiser hd650, and I feel I'm deeply in love with the he-400....so much, I never use my hd650 anymore...I agree with you that the hifiman he-400 definitely impresses with more detail, accuracy, and the music is fluid like, not being like so much impact like hd650....I thought of getting the he-500, but can't imagine a huge difference, but being more neutral...300 dollars doesn't justify more neutral. I'm happy with my babies, he-400 :)

Dec 19, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #15,356 of 22,116
If you've got the amp or thinking of getting one, the he4 is a great option. For the same price of an he500 you can have an he4 AND an emotiva mini-x amp.

I would love to hear an he500 but the he4 are very neutral to me. Just had them for a day though and I listened last night for 5hrs straight lol

Dec 19, 2013 at 9:14 PM Post #15,357 of 22,116

I'm on the same boat and am wondering the same thing!

Dec 19, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #15,358 of 22,116
The HE4 is neutral. Only downside really is the power they need. If you can supply at least 4w into 32ohms you should be good. It's easier to justify $600 on a HP and amp, which would be the HE4 and an Emotiva mini-x.

I own both the hifiman he-400, and sennheiser hd650, and I feel I'm deeply in love with the he-400....so much, I never use my hd650 anymore...I agree with you that the hifiman he-400 definitely impresses with more detail, accuracy, and the music is fluid like, not being like so much impact like hd650....I thought of getting the he-500, but can't imagine a huge difference, but being more neutral...300 dollars doesn't justify more neutral. I'm happy with my babies, he-400 :)

Dec 19, 2013 at 9:32 PM Post #15,359 of 22,116
I own both the hifiman he-400, and sennheiser hd650, and I feel I'm deeply in love with the he-400....so much, I never use my hd650 anymore...I agree with you that the hifiman he-400 definitely impresses with more detail, accuracy, and the music is fluid like, not being like so much impact like hd650....I thought of getting the he-500, but can't imagine a huge difference, but being more neutral...300 dollars doesn't justify more neutral. I'm happy with my babies, he-400
smily_headphones1.gif

+1 - I am also really loving my HE-400. adding the Sennheiser HD600 headband cushion mod onto it soon.

Dec 19, 2013 at 9:36 PM Post #15,360 of 22,116
  If you love them why upgrade at all?

LOL I've been asking myself the same thing. The fact that the HE-400 sounds so good makes me wonder if I'll be even happier if I splurge on something higher end. So I'm just trying to get a sense of how fellow HE-400 fans have reacted to more expensive orthos.

After reading this thread (http://www.head-fi.org/t/692229/he-400-vs-he-500-vs-he-4-comparison) and based on what people have said here, it seems like the HE-4 may have something to offer. Anyone have thoughts about owning the HE-4 in addition to the HE-400? Have any of you HE-400 fans bought an LCD-2 or compared the HE-400 to an Audeze?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back