**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Dec 18, 2013 at 9:28 PM Post #15,316 of 22,116
Well, I had no idea that you could derive frequency response from impulse responses, which is pretty interesting.

Then at the end, "measurements lie" and, "if you don't like the speaker [everyone else was wrong about it because you and only you are hearing a problem]".

So after all the ingenious measurement approaches, the guy is willing to say they don't really matter. He should do one on global warming then as well. lol.

Dec 18, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #15,317 of 22,116
  and what is resonance
Another type of temporal distortion is resonance. This one is critical. Let's call it time dilation

This is some Pseudo-Headphone ****. I came here to talk about headphones not time machines. 
popcorn.gif

Dec 18, 2013 at 9:51 PM Post #15,318 of 22,116
I'm listening to the Pink Floyd album dark side of the moon, and can't get enough of this album through the he-400's! I'm extremely impressed also with the micro details that my hd650's don't reveal. Totally impressive!

The low end extension... I needed new pants. So much lower than the DT990's. I think it's a great album to showcase the HE-400. The Vocals don't necessarily fall into it's slight recession in the mids. It's a great album for them.

Dec 18, 2013 at 9:52 PM Post #15,319 of 22,116
This is some Pseudo-Headphone ****. I came here to talk about headphones not time machines. 
popcorn.gif

whattt? you never traveled back in time using your headphones? obviously, notta true audiophileee. =P

edit: upgrade your dac/amp set-up & get some silver cables bro, and you'll experience some dope time dilation.

Dec 18, 2013 at 10:55 PM Post #15,322 of 22,116

I had the same issue with driver touching the ears with it removed.. but doesn't putting the spacer back cover the holes cut out and defeat the purpose?  As yet I haven't done this mod but want to do it soon, still not convinced it will help the he400. What they should do is have spacers made of the same foam material that is inside the pads.

On another matter.. managed to get this working with sinegen. Its possible to use sinegen and EQ in realtime to get the FR even. It has only 10 bands but the are settable to any frequency, at this stage I have been working on the 1kHz-4kHz area. You can use the slider in sinegen to sweep and then adjust the EQ and then retest and adjust again. There are so many variations in the FR its still not that easy though. Must be some kind of microphone setup that can do this automatically.

I found it better to make a slight curve on the midrange and then lower the treble, (instead of increasing the midrange) it is up to you but try both, personally I preferred it when the treble is lowered and the midrange has a slight curve on it, it has a similar effect of increasing the upper midrange and lowering the treble. I just found it is better to lower frequencies around the area you want to be increased instead...

Dec 18, 2013 at 11:19 PM Post #15,323 of 22,116
  you don't understand how amplifying a planar magnetic headphone works and are making yourself sound like an idiot. 

If that was aimed at me.... I would say it is the other way around to be completely honest. I have used high quality NAD and Marantz stereo amplifiers with good headphone jacks with various headphones and even the cheap Xonar STX headphone amp works better most of the time.... Stereo amps are usually better out of the headphone jack compared to AV receivers.

As I already said your AV receiver is expensive and may be decent with headphones, but it is not exactly an optimal recommendation for a well priced headphone amplifier is it.... Basically all you are trying to do is confirm your AV receiver as being a good headphone amplifier, you are not trying to help anyone to find a good amplifier for the HE400, so your posts are pointless....

Why are you recommending a £700 AV receiver as a headphone amplifier? Because you want to prove that it is as good as a dedicated headphone amplifier? ... If this is what you want to do, then go and buy one and compare it yourself, instead of making misleading / pointless comments... Obviously a £200-£300 headphone amp or probably a £150 emotiva mini X is a far better option for a headphone amplifier than a £700 AV receiver. Probably a cheap Schiit / 02 / Xonar STX works as well or better than a £700 AV receiver for HE400.... Unless you are using headphones that need a lot of power and you connect them up to the speaker taps... But again this has nothing to do with the HE400.

Dec 19, 2013 at 12:14 AM Post #15,325 of 22,116
Originally Posted by nicholars /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I found it better to make a slight curve on the midrange and then lower the treble, (instead of increasing the midrange) it is up to you but try both, personally I preferred it when the treble is lowered and the midrange has a slight curve on it, it has a similar effect of increasing the upper midrange and lowering the treble. I just found it is better to lower frequencies around the area you want to be increased instead... Sounds a bit "wrong" to me when just increasing the upper midrange, but you might prefer it because everyone hears differently.

At this stage all I am trying to do is to even out the entire frequency response so when I do a sweep in sinegen there are not any obvious dips/peaks. I am just starting with the 1kHz-4kHz area because I only have 10 bands to play with at a time. So I will be doing the whole range eventually. The aim is to get a totally flat sweep in sinegen. How this will actually sound at the end, I am not sure, maybe it will be a waste of time. I found the more I listen the more variations I hear. There is probably about 20 variations in the 1kHz-4kHz region. With this method, as I listen to sinegen I can move the EQ and it effects the output of sinegen in realtime so it makes it easier to even things out. My headphones seem to have quite a large dip in the 1.5kHz area that I found if I bump that portion it does improve a little bit, but bumping up other areas doesn't seem to help that much. There are also some imbalances around 2kHz where I can hear the sound drop off on one side and swap over from side to side. This only happens for very small range. I have been doing this for the past few hours and trialing the result while playing some music and its not sounding all that great so far. I get the feeling that EqualizerAPO doesn't do as good a job as Electri-Q so I will need to transfer the final result into that.

This is my current EQ settings below which is based on a slight modification of one of your treble EQ's that I am quite liking so far. The problem is that I tend to like things for a week or 2 and then not so much later. The HE400 is quite a roller coaster ride. At one stage I forgot to switch on the EQ and listened to it like that for a whole day and thought, gee I really like these EQ settings, they have a lot more treble sparkle. I might have to join you in the EQ mad house soon.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/7zu1wo

Dec 19, 2013 at 12:50 AM Post #15,326 of 22,116
I found that if you try and EQ every tiny little bump or dip it just ends up sounding worse, best thing to do is  keep it as flat as possible but remove the big peaks / dips. The 2 main offenders are 7.5khz and 12.5khz for the treble and also a small one at 5khz.... I found it works quite well to have a curve so everything from approx 200hz-3000hz is higher than everything else above that, this makes the lower mids sound thicker and also raises the 1000-3000 area relative to everything else, but depends what result you are trying to get.

Dec 19, 2013 at 12:59 AM Post #15,328 of 22,116
  I found that if you try and EQ every tiny little bump or dip it just ends up sounding worse, best thing to do is  keep it as flat as possible but remove the big peaks / dips. The 2 main offenders are 7.5khz and 12.5khz for the treble and also a small one at 5khz.... I found it works quite well to have a curve so everything from approx 200hz-3000hz is higher than everything else above that, this makes the lower mids sound thicker and also raises the 1000-3000 area relative to everything else, but depends what result you are trying to get...

how didja find that the peaks were at 7.5khz & 12.5khz exactly?

Dec 19, 2013 at 1:29 AM Post #15,330 of 22,116
  Program called Sinegen.

but the program is on your computer right? how would it know what frequency response the he400 is outputting?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back