**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Dec 9, 2013 at 8:53 PM Post #15,076 of 22,116
  GoSh~, i ordered the HE400 from head-direct. Received them yesterday.
To my horror one side of it does not play any sound!
WHAT IS WRONG with them!? I had expect better quality control~!
Not trying to bust CHINA Product but come ON,! i had expect better for the price paid. Geeez~!
My brother was cursing why buy china branded product when u can get sennheiser/denon Zzzz

Tried switching the cable leads to the cups? Also tried tightening the cable connections? Lots of people mess up with screwing in the cables and imagine that the drivers are DOA even though it's just loose connections.

Dec 9, 2013 at 9:30 PM Post #15,077 of 22,116
  Tried switching the cable leads to the cups? Also tried tightening the cable connections? Lots of people mess up with screwing in the cables and imagine that the drivers are DOA even though it's just loose connections.

ok, something new i found: this is what i did.
LEFT cable to LEFT CUP - WORKING(left)
RIGHT cable to RIGHT CUP - NO SOUND(right)

LEFT cable to RIGHT CUP - WORKING(left)
RIGHT cable to LEFT CUP - NO SOUND(right)

So, what can we conclude?
Cables are all tightened.

Dec 9, 2013 at 9:32 PM Post #15,078 of 22,116
FWIW, the cable is Japanese.
wink.gif
It seems to be the culprit. You can contact Head-Direct and surely they'll take care of you. No need to ship the entire thing back IMO, just get a new cable from them.

Dec 9, 2013 at 10:14 PM Post #15,079 of 22,116

ok, something new i found: this is what i did.
LEFT cable to LEFT CUP - WORKING(left)
RIGHT cable to RIGHT CUP - NO SOUND(right)

LEFT cable to RIGHT CUP - WORKING(left)
RIGHT cable to LEFT CUP - NO SOUND(right)

So, what can we conclude?
Cables are all tightened.

What about the amplifier end, are you 100% sure you plugged the stereo jack in completely?

Also, test another headphone out of the same source/amp and see if the channel cut-out persists or not.

Dec 10, 2013 at 12:00 AM Post #15,081 of 22,116
  What about the amplifier end, are you 100% sure you plugged the stereo jack in completely?

Also, test another headphone out of the same source/amp and see if the channel cut-out persists or not.

yea, plugged them in completely, and tried out diff source ip5, ipod, laptop

Oh yes the the jack. And also the 1/8 to 1/4 adapter. 2 of the 6 I got this year were detective with one channel shorted or not working

AH! the JACK, after a few series of test in diff source ip5, ipod, laptop. At times i get buzzing/breaking sound on one of the channel. At times they were totally no sound on one side.
I have emailed head-direct last night, still awaiting their reply. Then again, will they send me a new cable? Or cover shipping of the faulty cable back
Getting very impatient.

Dec 10, 2013 at 2:48 AM Post #15,083 of 22,116
  yea, plugged them in completely, and tried out diff source ip5, ipod, laptop

AH! the JACK, after a few series of test in diff source ip5, ipod, laptop. At times i get buzzing/breaking sound on one of the channel. At times they were totally no sound on one side.
I have emailed head-direct last night, still awaiting their reply. Then again, will they send me a new cable? Or cover shipping of the faulty cable back
Getting very impatient.

They'll replace your cable for sure, not sure if they'll cover your shipping cost but they'll ship you one for free. Sending a cable back won't cost more than $5 via USPS Small Flat Rate box and will be tracked. I take it you got the discounted Black Friday price, which more than covers your return cable shipping. I know, not really a good way to think of it but you saved $100 on a headphone that's already at a great value on regular pricing.

Sucks you got bad cord, which I think aren't even made by Hifiman.

Dec 10, 2013 at 4:13 AM Post #15,084 of 22,116
Personally i think you need to check the conectors to the headphone. They are rather delicate (personally i treated them like they were made to break at the first move), so there is a chance if you pluged the cable badly that you damaged the connector.

If not, probably just a cable issue, nothing to worry about.

Dec 10, 2013 at 9:25 AM Post #15,087 of 22,116
  How do you compare the difference between LCD-2 and HE-400 .............?? Well, How about over twice the price.
Come-On-Man!

There actually isn't that much of a difference, asides from the colorations of the two.  Around 300-400 dollars is the sweet spot for headphones right now, because you start getting into past flagship models from the audiophile companies.  Anything beyond that and you hit severe diminishing returns.

Dec 10, 2013 at 11:30 AM Post #15,090 of 22,116
Personally, I don't think the prices of these headphones should be taken into consideration. You have an American company (IIRC) and a Chinese company. It would be no surprise to me that the LCD2 would be on par with the HE-400 despite their difference in coloration and difference in price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back