**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
May 2, 2013 at 11:28 AM Post #10,306 of 22,116
Quote:
I've read your comments - and in short I get it.
biggrin.gif

Even as a staunch supporter of "non-audiophile" electronics (like good laptops), I have no question that maximum performance of the HE-400 is somewhat source dependent/recording/amp dependent. There are still people that hype too much <cough earpads and 10 watt amps>, but the HE-400 definitely have scaled for me. They do need a little more power than the typical headphone (not much more), and a great source to sound their best.

As for soundstaging arguments, I am listening to that with interest. For me, the headphone 'sound' has in general been a little too L/Channel R/Channel sounding lately. It is occasionally preventing me from getting lost in my tunes, but this is more a headphone problem than an HE-400 problem. 

Do you use crossfeed? That helps a lot for me. In terms of a realistic soundstage from headphones, the HD598 has the best so far for me. The Audio Technicas are the most dramatic, but not necessarily realistic. The HE-400 is... Adequate as I've said before. But also tends to remind me more of a closed headphone than an open one.

May 2, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #10,309 of 22,116
Quote:

I'm using the velours with some of the jergpad mods... namely, I have them back vented/angled, taped for coupling and trimmed so the ring holes are fully open.

Just so you know, I tried to convert a pair of my velour pads via the same procedures too, and it sounded nasty (to me). 
triportsad.gif

Namely, it sounded way too thin and bright, probably because it was over-damped.

May 2, 2013 at 11:46 AM Post #10,310 of 22,116
Quote:
Just so you know, I tried to convert a pair of my velour pads via the same procedures too, and it sounded nasty (to me). 
triportsad.gif

Namely, it sounded way too thin and bright, probably because it was over-damped.

We're probably hearing similar but with different conclusions/preferences. Remember my preference is a signature much more like the AD700 but with a little "oomph" as well. So I'd like my HE-400 a little more "open and airy" than I have them now. One man's ceiling is another man's floor...

May 2, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #10,311 of 22,116
Quote:
triportsad.gif

Just looked at your regrilling mod. May have to go for that "naked" version now that I'm falling in love with the HE-400 so get even more of that sound that I think you call nasty. :wink:

May 2, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #10,315 of 22,116
Quote:
Just wanted to throw it out there that Headphone.com has apparently updated their frequency response charts!

I would prefer + or - 15 dB, rather than + or - 30 dB to get a better sense of differences in response, but they are nicer looking for sure.

Just wanted to let you know, we've been listening to you have now added an additional control to decide the amount of amplitude you'd like to see.

It only works for frequency response right now but we're working on rolling the concept out to other specs. Would love your feedback or any other suggestions for improvement.

http://www.headphone.com/learning-center/build-a-graph.php

May 2, 2013 at 3:16 PM Post #10,316 of 22,116
Just wanted to let you know, we've been listening to you have now added an additional control to decide the amount of amplitude you'd like to see.

It only works for frequency response right now but we're working on rolling the concept out to other specs. Would love your feedback or any other suggestions for improvement.

http://www.headphone.com/learning-center/build-a-graph.php

Very nice visual confirmation of what I hear. How often do you update? I'm looking for the AD900x and MA900.

May 2, 2013 at 3:29 PM Post #10,317 of 22,116
Thanks,

For actual headphone measurements, we usually only measure those we carry and even then, we sometimes draw the line with the cheap stuff.

As for updates to the tool, we don't have any established time frame but recently have had the opportunity to make a few improvements and so we did.

May 2, 2013 at 4:18 PM Post #10,319 of 22,116
Quote:
Can you guys raise the FR graphs of the HE-400 and D7000 so they're level matched with the rest of the headphones?

I'll look into this further. All of our graphs should be referenced at 1kHz but it looks like these two measurements are off by about 1dB. I think this might be an limitation in the graph tool. I believe the actual data is referenced to 0dB at 1kHz but that the line is drawn below 0 because of the slightly downward curve of the frequency response right before 1kHz. I'll investigate more but from my perspective they're pretty darn close to level matched with the rest. The audio precision validates reference level before making the measurements.

May 2, 2013 at 4:36 PM Post #10,320 of 22,116
That graph on the D7000 really bothers me. The sub bass in particular. It's nothing like how it sounds like. I wonder why the TH900 has a big mountain in the sub bass, while the D7000 rolls off completely, when the D7000 is known for it's whopping sub bass?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back