**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Sep 18, 2012 at 8:28 AM Post #751 of 22,116
DF was a great DAC, but no so much as an amp. for the Orthos.

As I was on a budget, I've preferred selling the DF, and downgrade the DAC to something simpler, but with a better AMP.
That way, I can better enjoy my 400's... should no more be lack of bass (and sub-bass), and, with less veiled lo-mid voice. 

During my experience with some DACs and AMPs, learned that AMPs can serve as an hardware equalizer, and "color" the HPs differently. While giving different current amounts from each other.

A good "Synergy" would occur when enough current is given to a specific HP (demands are usually higher on Orthos than with Dynamics).
Also, the "color" that is given by the AMP, should not be too much identical to that the DAC gives, because we don't want it "too bright" or "too dark". otherwise- flat.

Sep 18, 2012 at 9:45 PM Post #752 of 22,116
The He400 really intrigue me. I've been searching for darkish sounding headphones with a touch of upper treble sparkle, but I'm having a hard time finding exactly what I want. The D2000s are nice headphones; they certainly have a little shimmer up top, but the mid-range is way too recessed for my preferences. I also have the HD650; tonally speaking, they give me about 85 percent of what I'm looking for, but the treble is often (uh, how should I put this) lackluster. The DT880 (600ohm version) has a little sparkle up top too, but its midrange is also recessed--moreover, the DT880 lacks bass extension and slam. I even own the HD800, which are amazingly good. But the HD800's sound signature is too neutral, detailed and analytical for casual everyday listening, imho. From all I've read,  the He400 seems to have most of the attributes I desire, but I'm still just a little dubious.  Nevertheless, my check list is all but complete. I have only one burning question: Does the He400 have a more forward mid-range than the D2000 and DT880? Comparisons would be greatly appreciated. 

Sep 18, 2012 at 9:50 PM Post #753 of 22,116
I'd say it does. The HE-400 sounds like what you're looking for. Warm with treble sparkle is the name of the HE400's game. The mids aren't FORWARD, but natural sounding. I'd say it's more forward than the D7000's mids (and the D7000 has more mids than the D2000 FWIH). If I could compare it to anything, it'd definitely be the DT880 with a warmer tone, and less harshness up top.

Like a DT880 with meatier sound, fuller bass, and less treble peak.

Sep 18, 2012 at 10:15 PM Post #755 of 22,116
I can compare the HE-400 against the D2000 and HD650 for you.

Overall tonally, the HE-400 is darker than HD650 and D2000, I'd rank HD650 brightest, D2000 less bright and HE-400 even less bright.  (All relative to each other, of course-- HD650 is a warm headphone compared to a lot of others)

HE-400 reminds me a lot of the D2000 from the ground up.  It has a very flat bass and lower mid presentation.  While the D2000's bloated bass can often times make their lower mids too dark in tonality, the HE-400 does not have that problem.  The HD650 has more upper mids than HE-400, however the HE-400 has more than the D2000.  The highly present upper mids of the HD650 and its thinner bass than the D2000/HD650 makes it brighter overall in my book.  The D2000 has the most lower treble which can get harsh at times, the HE-400 has the least amount of lower treble of the bunch, making it a very warm sounding headphone overall.  It's not a serious fault, it just makes it laid-back; its lower treble is still highly detailed.  HE-400 has the most amount of upper treble of the group.  Take a song with lots of information above 10khz, and the HE-400 will truly dazzle, followed by the D2000 then the HD650.

Here's my subjective graph of them: 
Green = D2000
Red = HD650
Blue = HE-400

Sep 18, 2012 at 10:23 PM Post #756 of 22,116
Couldn't resist any longer-mainly because of the glowing reviews here. Ordered  HE-400's today along with those "must have" velour pads. They better be good or I'll demand my money back. TMRaven, I'm talking to you
wink.gif

Sep 18, 2012 at 10:42 PM Post #757 of 22,116
Your subjective graph really helps me to visualize, so to speak, the differences between these headphones--a genuinely wonderful and useful embellishment! If I hear things the way you hear them, then, I'm sure the He400 is going to hit the sweet spot for me. Once again, I'm beginning to feel that spine-tingling sensation that precedes a new headphone purchase. Thanks a million, TMRaven!

Sep 18, 2012 at 11:24 PM Post #758 of 22,116
I'mma do it guys! Imma pull the trigger on these boys! 

I just sold my DT880s, so I'll be trying out these He-400 along side with my HD650 :D 

If my valhalla isn't strong enough to drive them for now, I'll have to save up for the Lyr :frowning2: 

I'm debating if I should purchase the carrying case too for the He-400 lol (I would like something to store them in) 

Has anyone have any experience with the case?

Sep 18, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #759 of 22,116
Isn't the Valhalla optimized for high impedance loads? I don't think it'd be right for the HE-400.

Sep 18, 2012 at 11:30 PM Post #760 of 22,116
sigh.. I know lol 

I was just hoping it would somewhat work till I have the money for the lyr 

If not, I'll have to just play them from my computer or ipod for the time being. Unless you think it would be better for me to buy the Lyr first? 

Sep 18, 2012 at 11:31 PM Post #761 of 22,116
Quote:

I just sold my DT880s, so I'll be trying out these He-400 along side with my HD650 :D 

If my valhalla isn't strong enough to drive them for now, I'll have to save up for the Lyr :frowning2: 

I'm debating if I should purchase the carrying case too for the He-400 lol (I would like something to store them in) 

It's a solid case from what I've heard, but honestly the cans are pretty robust and unless you are travelling with it a lot on bumpy roads, the bag that the headphones come with should suffice.

Sep 18, 2012 at 11:54 PM Post #762 of 22,116
So much want. Next time I get some money I'm gonna have to pick up a pair of these. They sound like exactly what I'm looking for in a headphone.

Sep 19, 2012 at 12:16 AM Post #763 of 22,116
Quote:
Your subjective graph really helps me to visualize, so to speak, the differences between these headphones--a genuinely wonderful and useful embellishment! If I hear things the way you hear them, then, I'm sure the He400 is going to hit the sweet spot for me. Once again, I'm beginning to feel that spine-tingling sensation that precedes a new headphone purchase. Thanks a million, TMRaven!

Also note the HE-400's bass doesn't get in the way like D2000's so its mids stand out more than even my subjective graph depicts.

Sep 19, 2012 at 7:51 AM Post #764 of 22,116
I'm glad that these hp's have taken off now like they have. They are really just a great product a great price and it's hard to find much fault with them. They should come stock with the velour pads, but other than that they are a keeper for anyone looking at an open hp at this price point. 

Now if we could get a redesigned velour!! 
wink_face.gif

Sep 19, 2012 at 10:21 AM Post #765 of 22,116
Quote:
I can compare the HE-400 against the D2000 and HD650 for you.

Overall tonally, the HE-400 is darker than HD650 and D2000, I'd rank HD650 brightest, D2000 less bright and HE-400 even less bright.  (All relative to each other, of course-- HD650 is a warm headphone compared to a lot of others)

HE-400 reminds me a lot of the D2000 from the ground up.  It has a very flat bass and lower mid presentation.  While the D2000's bloated bass can often times make their lower mids too dark in tonality, the HE-400 does not have that problem.  The HD650 has more upper mids than HE-400, however the HE-400 has more than the D2000.  The highly present upper mids of the HD650 and its thinner bass than the D2000/HD650 makes it brighter overall in my book.  The D2000 has the most lower treble which can get harsh at times, the HE-400 has the least amount of lower treble of the bunch, making it a very warm sounding headphone overall.  It's not a serious fault, it just makes it laid-back; its lower treble is still highly detailed.  HE-400 has the most amount of upper treble of the group.  Take a song with lots of information above 10khz, and the HE-400 will truly dazzle, followed by the D2000 then the HD650.

Here's my subjective graph of them: 
Green = D2000
Red = HD650
Blue = HE-400

The HE-400 graph looks a bit too recessed in the mids....more like HE-400 with pleather pads.  With velour, I'd flatten those mids out a little more were it my graph.

Quote:

It'll be try and see with Valhalla.  On paper an OTL tube amp like Valhalla should be horrible for planars.  But since the HE-400 is a little more efficient than most planars it could still be the exception to the rule.  It's worth a try...but in either case...I see a Lyr in someone's future....with HE-400 and HD650, you just can't not have one....
wink.gif
   I'd still get the HE-400 before the Lyr.  Valhalla should be excellent with your HD650 already, and may drive the HE-400 as well.   Your opinion of Valhalla vs Lyr for HD650 would be interesting to a lot of people too if you find out you need one
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:
I'm glad that these hp's have taken off now like they have. They are really just a great product a great price and it's hard to find much fault with them. They should come stock with the velour pads, but other than that they are a keeper for anyone looking at an open hp at this price point. 

Now if we could get a redesigned velour!! 
wink_face.gif

+308234

I think Fang owes you, wje, and jerg some free pads or something for making it a popular thread early on
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back