**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Sep 14, 2012 at 2:29 PM Post #721 of 22,116
Quote:

Telefunkens [size=13.31px]tubes got them from [/size]Upscale Audio [size=x-small]as suggest by @IEMCrazy (not Upscale Audio he suggest only tubes)[/size][size=13.31px],[/size] [size=13.31px]they [/size][size=13.31px]have better control over bass and are a bit faster with the treble sparkle.....these [/size][size=13.31px]are excellent tubes for detailed sound also....with just a hint of tubeyness to keep it more euphonically pleasing than SS![/size]

[size=13.31px]first when I got Lyr with stock GE tubes, it did not impressed me much....PM'ed [size=x-small]@IEMCrazy[/size] he was very helpfull....with his detailed suggestion I got these tubes.[/size]

Yeah I like them as well, my favorite so far is the Miniwatt 6B7Z and the Siemens& Halske CCa 6922s (expensive but plush) with the HE-400s.

Sep 14, 2012 at 2:35 PM Post #722 of 22,116
My HE400s turned up today!

So far so good. I think that jumps out at me most is the smoothness of them, plus the excellent bass response. I will post more when I have had a chance to listen to them properly...

Sep 14, 2012 at 4:54 PM Post #725 of 22,116
I need some help choosing an amp. I will be buying the ultrasone signature pro some time, so I need a portable amp for it, I currently own a fiio e11 amp. These are my options:

-keep the fiio e11 and buy the HRT MusicStreamer, so I will use the e11 with the SigPro (the e11's amp is a bit better than the e17's amp) for portable use and both the e11 and the HRT MS with the HE400 at home.

-Buy a fiio e17 and use it with both the HE400 and the SigPro. The e11+hrt musicstreamer is obviously better for the he400, as for the SigPro, the amp in the e17's amp is a bit worse but it has a DAC as well which should be a bit better.

Which of these do you think would the best option. Will the e17 be a lot better than the e11 for the SigPro when using my iphone and will the e11+HRT MusicStreamer be a lot better than the e17 when using my he400?

Note that if I buy the e17, I will use it with the iphone a lot. Someone said somewhere on these forums regarding an amp for a headphone that to use with an iphone, the e11 would be better than the e17. Is that true? Does the DAC not work in an iphone or something like that?

Sep 14, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #726 of 22,116
With the Iphone's you cannot bypass the internal DAC, so basically you are using the E17 for an amp only.  However, the Iphones internal DAC is very good so you really don't need to fret much about it.

Sep 14, 2012 at 5:06 PM Post #727 of 22,116
Quote:
With the Iphone's you cannot bypass the internal DAC, so basically you are using the E17 for an amp only.  However, the Iphones internal DAC is very good so you really don't need to fret much about it.

HRT MusicStreamer it is then :)

EDIT: do you think it would be worth to upgrade my e11 to an O2 or an Asgard in the future? Is there a huge change? If so, can anyone tell me if the Asgard is worth the extra money over the O2 for the HE400? I have a feeling that the O2 and the HE400 don't go well together...

Sep 14, 2012 at 5:12 PM Post #728 of 22,116
I think some people have reported the odac + O2 combo to work fine, maybe a bit bland.  I know it's a bit more money but I would just keep saving for the Lyr, tube rolling can be very rewarding to fine tune your final sound too.

Sep 14, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #729 of 22,116
Quote:
I think some people have reported the odac + O2 combo to work fine, maybe a bit bland.  I know it's a bit more money but I would just keep saving for the Lyr, tube rolling can be very rewarding to fine tune your final sound too.

I'm just afraid that I won't know how to properly use and take care of a tube amp. People say it requires tuning and switching tubes to get the right sound, and that they require a lot of maintanance. Im just afraid I won't be able to do all of that. A solid state amp seems great cause I can just use it without having to do anything to it. Does a tube amp require all of that?

Sep 14, 2012 at 5:35 PM Post #731 of 22,116
Quote:
Not at all, you could buy a stock Lyr and not have to touch a thing for 5 years.  I like to tinker, so I've got a box full of tubes to try new things.  For me it's great, I can change the sound according to what kind of sound I like.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/549508/schiit-lyr-the-tube-rolling-thread

at 450, I could also buy a different headphone... would the asgard be a good choice if I don't want to spend that much, or is there not that much difference between it and the e11?

Sep 15, 2012 at 8:57 AM Post #732 of 22,116
OK some 'second' first thoughts after a few hours of listening times...

Design etc - 9/10
These are very nice headphones! I love the weight of them, yes they are heavier than my other cans but not too heavy. So far I am finding them very comfortable. They seem well built and I like the design and the blue colour.

Bass - 10/10
Bass response is excellent. It sounds tight/clean and the sub-bass is excellent. I don't think it could be better for myself. I like the bass part of music (not sure if I am a basshead or not?) and these deliver.

Mids - 9/10
Mids are, hmm I'm not sure how to describe it other than I like it. Apart from the HE400s I also have Grado 225s and Sony XB700s and the mids on the HE400s are so much better. Some songs are sounding different, in a good way, on others I can pick out more detail etc. I guess they would be described as forward, they are certainly not recessed.

Highs - 8/10
Having had the Grados I wanted something less bright and easier to listen to and these are, almost to the extent that I may EQ the higher frequencies up slightly! I definitley prefer it this way though.

Overall - 9/10
I am impressed with these at the moment. They seem to be pretty much exactly what I wanted from some headphones. Maybe the only aspect which could be better is the soundstage. It may be me but this doesnt seem too big?

The other thing i have noticed so far is that electronic music is made for these cans!

Sep 15, 2012 at 9:12 AM Post #733 of 22,116
small but perfect soundstage with great separation think of it this way... as someone said in AKG thread that K701 would be like watching a 720p broadcast on a 100" projector screen, the HE-400 would be like watching a 1080p 3-D Blu-ray on a 60-inch 3D HDTV.  Smaller screen but better details, dimensionality, and objects are more clearly defined.

Sep 15, 2012 at 9:19 AM Post #734 of 22,116
Quote:
OK some 'second' first thoughts after a few hours of listening times...

Design etc - 9/10
These are very nice headphones! I love the weight of them, yes they are heavier than my other cans but not too heavy. So far I am finding them very comfortable. They seem well built and I like the design and the blue colour.

Bass - 10/10
Bass response is excellent. It sounds tight/clean and the sub-bass is excellent. I don't think it could be better for myself. I like the bass part of music (not sure if I am a basshead or not?) and these deliver.

Mids - 9/10
Mids are, hmm I'm not sure how to describe it other than I like it. Apart from the HE400s I also have Grado 225s and Sony XB700s and the mids on the HE400s are so much better. Some songs are sounding different, in a good way, on others I can pick out more detail etc. I guess they would be described as forward, they are certainly not recessed.

Highs - 8/10
Having had the Grados I wanted something less bright and easier to listen to and these are, almost to the extent that I may EQ the higher frequencies up slightly! I definitley prefer it this way though.

Overall - 9/10
I am impressed with these at the moment. They seem to be pretty much exactly what I wanted from some headphones. Maybe the only aspect which could be better is the soundstage. It may be me but this doesnt seem too big?

The other thing i have noticed so far is that electronic music is made for these cans!

Welcome to the club and glad that you are liking them!! I think that what you are finding is that the he400 is a whole lot of hp for the money and a good all rounder. Now, if you haven't got the velours pads for them...run don't walk and order them. You can thank me later. 
biggrin.gif

Sep 15, 2012 at 10:01 AM Post #735 of 22,116
Hey guys, I need some help (again)...

I will be buying two headphones in the future, one open and one closed, I will be spending 700 dollars in one and 400 on the other. This is what Im thinking about:

I will either spend 400 dollars on a closed can (m100 or momentum) and 700 dollars on the HE500 so I will basically get a good closed can and a excellent open can. The other option it to spend 700-800 on a used ultrasone signature pro and 400 on the he400 so I will have an ultimate closed can which I can take everywhere and a mid-fi open can. To sum it all up: ultimate open can and good closed can VS ultimate closed can and good open can (Momentum + HE500 VS SigPro + HE400)

My question is: Is there a big amount of difference between the HE500 and the HE400? Is it worth not getting the signature pro and getting the momentum? How much difference is there between the HE400 and HE500. I always like the idea of having an "ultimate" closed can, so if there is not much difference between the he400 and the he500, I'll get the signature pro. I mainly listen to rock, pop rock, metal, and a little bit of electronic. The main thing I want is good mids (I love mids!) and a good, non fatiguing treble. Can anyone help me out? Money doesn't necessarily mean something is better, so do you think the HE400 might suit me better than the HE500 according to my music taste (good mids too)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back