**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jan 20, 2013 at 7:52 PM Post #5,716 of 22,116
I always thought the Lyr was a bit V-shaped. The mids were quite recessed compared to all SS amps I have used. That was with two sets of tubes. That's probably why I didn't care for it at all. I liked V-shaped headphones, and paired with a V-shaped amp, it exaggerated what I like of the headphones.

I'm sure there are tubes to offset that, but I didn't care to hunt for some magical tubes. Gladly stay away from that headache.

Jan 20, 2013 at 8:18 PM Post #5,718 of 22,116
Quote:

Which part? That i'm hearing Bob Marley?

And no, i'm not smoking anything, if that's what you're thinking
tongue.gif
  just eating some hashish pie. Maybe that's why i'm not hearing sibilance anymore

No.  The part about what was happening inside your pants was T.M.I.  
size]

Jan 20, 2013 at 8:42 PM Post #5,720 of 22,116
So since I only got one vote, the HE-300 were shipped off and will be disassembled and painted this week. The color? Pink.

I'm going to build my fiancee's introductory system out of the HE-300, and I may as well make it pink for her. Will be switching her music library to flac and giving her my Fiio E17.

But yes. Get ready to see some pink HE-300 as a proof of concept that my buddy won't break headphones taking them apart lol. After that: HE-400.

Jan 20, 2013 at 8:51 PM Post #5,722 of 22,116
Quote:
I'm sure there are tubes to offset that, but I didn't care to hunt for some magical tubes. Gladly stay away from that headache.

Amen to that
Quote:
So since I only got one vote, the HE-300 were shipped off and will be disassembled and painted this week. The color? Pink.

I'm going to build my fiancee's introductory system out of the HE-300, and I may as well make it pink for her. Will be switching her music library to flac and giving her my Fiio E17.

But yes. Get ready to see some pink HE-300 as a proof of concept that my buddy won't break headphones taking them apart lol. After that: HE-400.

Would love to see that. Never got around to getting red spray paint for the HE-400s.

Jan 20, 2013 at 8:53 PM Post #5,723 of 22,116
Quote:
Just dont make the mistake of making it glossy.

Well once he has it disassembled, trying one and then sanding and trying another won't be a huge deal. Glossy pink might just pop on the HE-300! I told him to take a ton of pictures during disassembly, painting and re-assembly so I can share them here.

Quote:

Amen to that
Would love to see that. Never got around to getting red spray paint for the HE-400s.

Yeah I was thinking red for my HE-400 but I'm not necessarily hating where they're at right now. I might go for a gunmetal. I'm not sure. I gotta see how HE-300 turns out. I'm excited :]

Jan 20, 2013 at 8:59 PM Post #5,724 of 22,116
Okay, so I've had these for a couple of days and I have pretty much listened to stuff on them continuously for these past days. If there's anything I could say about them, if I were to kind of make up descriptive words as I go along to describe what I'm hearing, I would say that the sounds are kind of dark. Indeed I do hear things very clearly, and different sounds really seem to stand out on their own, where as with my old headphones perhaps they would meld together with all of the sounds, and for lack of better words not creating as immersive an experience. With these headphones I think I am starting to feel a burn in, of my mind if you will. Back peddling to what I said about "Dark sound." It's not a completely lush and colorful sound. If there's a song with guitar and bass, I don't hear how they would otherwise be audible. I kind of feel like I'm almost having to strain myself sometimes to hear these instruments when they are lower in the mix. However I try to be completely honest and open minded, I am still learning and more or less picking up more noticeable differences between these headphones and my old ones. One thing that is more audible than the acoustics are the percussions. I'm wondering if this is because of my lack of an amplifier. I am using nothing but a DAC (I hooked the headphones in through an RCA adapter), and I have been told that when I plug it into an amplifier the sound will "come alive." Yet some have told me it won't make much of a difference at all. I guess I'll have to wait and see. I'd still like some inputs though. Thanks.

Jan 20, 2013 at 10:56 PM Post #5,728 of 22,116
Quote:
Okay, so I've had these for a couple of days and I have pretty much listened to stuff on them continuously for these past days. If there's anything I could say about them, if I were to kind of make up descriptive words as I go along to describe what I'm hearing, I would say that the sounds are kind of dark. Indeed I do hear things very clearly, and different sounds really seem to stand out on their own, where as with my old headphones perhaps they would meld together with all of the sounds, and for lack of better words not creating as immersive an experience. With these headphones I think I am starting to feel a burn in, of my mind if you will. Back peddling to what I said about "Dark sound." It's not a completely lush and colorful sound. If there's a song with guitar and bass, I don't hear how they would otherwise be audible. I kind of feel like I'm almost having to strain myself sometimes to hear these instruments when they are lower in the mix. However I try to be completely honest and open minded, I am still learning and more or less picking up more noticeable differences between these headphones and my old ones. One thing that is more audible than the acoustics are the percussions. I'm wondering if this is because of my lack of an amplifier. I am using nothing but a DAC (I hooked the headphones in through an RCA adapter), and I have been told that when I plug it into an amplifier the sound will "come alive." Yet some have told me it won't make much of a difference at all. I guess I'll have to wait and see. I'd still like some inputs though. Thanks.

I can't say for sure how much of an improvement you'll get with an amp with the dac, but a dac by itself is in no appropriate way to amplify something.  It delivers a line source with very high impedance.

Jan 20, 2013 at 11:04 PM Post #5,729 of 22,116
Quote:

I can't say for sure how much of an improvement you'll get with an amp with the dac, but a dac by itself is in no appropriate way to amplify something.  It delivers a line source with very high impedance.

So, if the dac by itself is no way of amplifying something, are you saying that the amplifier is necessary, or do you mean that if I were to need to amplify something that a dac alone wouldn't cut it? I'm not sure what line source or impedance is btw.

im·ped·ance  
/imˈpēdns/
Noun
The effective resistance of an electric circuit or component to alternating current, arising from the combined effects of ohmic resistan...

Yeah, I still don't understand.

Jan 20, 2013 at 11:10 PM Post #5,730 of 22,116
The line out signal is a constant level of power.  It's a 100Ω impedance, meaning it's very high for the HE-400.  I'm not saying it'll sound horribly wrong because of this, but you should at least want the amp for volume control.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back