**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jan 20, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #5,701 of 22,116
Frequency response isn't the only issue with higher impedance.  There's also the argument for better control in general, and 1/3 impedance ratio isn't the best.  However that argument is usually overstated.  

Jan 20, 2013 at 5:23 PM Post #5,702 of 22,116
Well, here i am back to the starting line again.

Now i don't know if the E17+E09 was the best choice.

There must be better options for a Desktop DAC/Amp under $400~$500 that includes a spdif input, or am i wrong?

What do you guys think about this one? http://www.head-fi.org/t/499562/review-yulong-d100-dac-amp-reference-quality-with-a-reasonable-price

Jan 20, 2013 at 5:37 PM Post #5,703 of 22,116
Thats more a dac than an amp.

Youre overthinking it. The Fiio setup is great for the HE-400. The output impedance is not a factor with the HE400.

If you are ocd about technicalities, then look into a Compass 2, which has analog, usb, spdif optical and coaxial inputs. For less the NFB11.32 has the same, without the analog input, and costs quite a bit less. It's also much more amp than the Yulong. Both the Audio gds use the Sabre Es9018 dac chip which is used by TOTL dacs costing thousands.

Jan 20, 2013 at 5:57 PM Post #5,704 of 22,116
Quote:
Thats more a dac than an amp.

Youre overthinking it. The Fiio setup is great for the HE-400. The output impedance is not a factor with the HE400.

If you are ocd about technicalities, then look into a Compass 2, which has analog, usb, spdif optical and coaxial inputs. For less the NFB11.32 has the same, without the analog input, and costs quite a bit less. It's also much more amp than the Yulong. Both the Audio gds use the Sabre Es9018 dac chip which is used by TOTL dacs costing thousands.

I'll take a look on those.

Thanks for the recommendations.

Jan 20, 2013 at 6:20 PM Post #5,705 of 22,116
Hey all,

Weighing back in on the sibilance issue after spending some time with these and getting to experience them at proper volume.  I hate to say it, but its still very prominent.  I have an o2/odac on the way, but I have got to try them with a few different combinations.  I've used as sources my work hp probook6460b, my friends old macbook, an iphone4, galaxy nexus in combination with my friend's amp (I believe a pioneer, cheap nothing too special), and a vintage marantz 2270.  So yes I have been double amping.

Right now I'm using my friend's astro mixamp as both a dac and amping solution.  Despite all these various combinations I am still experiencing significant sibliance.  Yes at times the treble can be a little bright, but  for the most part I'm enjoying it.  I'm talking about the vocals.  It ranges from mildly distracting to piercing and harsh and is present in nearly every song.  While I don't know that I would consider the mids the strong point there are times when I felt the vocals sounded very good extremely natural and often times I can make out lyrics that I never heard clearly before.  But I am always bearing with the sibliance.  

Here are some offenders.  Avenge Sevenfold's, self entitled album is piercing.  Snow Patrol's 'Run' was equally bad.  The chorus of Killer's 'All the Things I've Done' where they sing "I've got soul" was very sibliant.  Coldplay 'Square One' and Deathcab's 'Soul Meets Body', also are affected.  As I stated in my earlier post, Chris Cornell's album Song Book is riddled with sibliance on my pair.  On the song 'Like a Stone' I can clearly hear his voice and its sounds great, but it seems like it is wrapped in a layer of tizziness, and his 's' 'c', etc. are just harsh. Matt had given the Song Book album a listen and did not experience this issue with his setup.

Is this a matter of me just being midcentric and unwilling to accept the flaws of this headphone, am I sensative to sibliance, or is this perhaps an issue with my particular pair of he-400.  I am using MOG 320 kbs files for music.  Though I have tried cds and still experience this issue.

Also, one other question.  Does anyone feel some give on the grill on the outside of their headphone.  My right grill is very flush with the cup; however, my left grill sticks out slightly and when I press lightly on it there is some give.  It doesn't seem to affect sound at all, but I was just wondering.

With the exception of the sibliance, I am falling in love with these headphones; however, I just can't stomach this issue.  And now unfortunately that my awareness is raised I'm always attending for it rather than immersing myself in the music. Help!! I want to love these!

Jan 20, 2013 at 6:39 PM Post #5,707 of 22,116
Jan 20, 2013 at 6:57 PM Post #5,709 of 22,116
I don't know if it's just my ears, but i'm starting to hear less sibilance on the songs. Burn in effect?(Or maybe it's just placebo effect, who knows)

I also found out that most of the sibilant tracks i heard were record related issues. I came to that conclusion when i started comparing it to my HD558.

Sleeping Village from Black sabbath, for example. It's "unhearable", very sibilant. The cymbals are very annoying.

At first i thought it was a headphone related issue, but then i switched to the HD558 and it was as almost as annoying.

It just seems that HE-400 is more unforgiving to poorly recorded songs.

Good thing i'm not a "metalhead". Looks like metal bands aren't very fond of good studios.

Jan 20, 2013 at 7:03 PM Post #5,710 of 22,116
Excellent track for the HE-400s Infected Mushroom – Becoming Insane [spotify link]

I'm not a basshead by any means, so the bass I'm getting is enough.  The HE-400's separate things nicely on this track.  Also, I'm running em through an Aune T1, stock tube and things are sounding very smooth and fun.  

My impressions vs. Fiio E17 and Schiit M&M, from the Aune T1 thread:

Got my Aune T1 yesterday, so I will offer my very humble impressions vs. the Fiio E17 and the Schiit Magni & Modi stack.

Fiio E17 - offers the most value but the least performance.  Upside is that it is portable and has hardware EQ. 
The Schiit Magni and Modi - a touch too bright for my taste, and over resolving with some tracks.  Doesn't play well with my indie music.  The stack, while sexy looking, is sort of a hassle (I don't think I'm cut out for separate amps/dacs).
The Aune T1 is "just right".  I've only had it for a day and I'm loving the stock tube right out of the box!  So smooth.  When the tube fully warms up, the tracks melt into my ears like butter.  I haven't even got into tube rolling but if the sound can get better than what I got right now, then I'd say the Aune is a steal.

So in short, Aune > Schiit Magni and Modi > Fiio E17, in terms of performance
Fiio > Aune > Schiit stack in terms of value.

Jan 20, 2013 at 7:25 PM Post #5,712 of 22,116
Quote:
By the way, i just found out that the HE-400's are stellar with reggae.

I'm jizzin' on my pants hearing some bob marley here.

Ah, I bit Too Much Information.  
size]

Jan 20, 2013 at 7:50 PM Post #5,715 of 22,116
Quote:
Excellent track for the HE-400s Infected Mushroom – Becoming Insane [spotify link]

That's an fantastic track, thanks! 

Quote:
Well, I've read that the Lyr is V-shaped too, I don't know if it's right though, I never tried it. But anyway some tubes could change that sound signature I guess.

Have yet to hear a V-shape on a Lyr, or to hear anyone describing it as such. A bit sparkly at times. 

Quote:

Is this a matter of me just being midcentric and unwilling to accept the flaws of this headphone, am I sensative to sibliance, or is this perhaps an issue with my particular pair of he-400.  I am using MOG 320 kbs files for music.  Though I have tried cds and still experience this issue.

Also, one other question.  Does anyone feel some give on the grill on the outside of their headphone.  My right grill is very flush with the cup; however, my left grill sticks out slightly and when I press lightly on it there is some give.  It doesn't seem to affect sound at all, but I was just wondering.

With the exception of the sibliance, I am falling in love with these headphones; however, I just can't stomach this issue.  And now unfortunately that my awareness is raised I'm always attending for it rather than immersing myself in the music. Help!! I want to love these!

Rev 3? Might explain the sibliance. What colour are the driver housings?

Grills always sort of do that on these. Makes it easier to pull out for re-grilling mod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back