**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jan 13, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #4,937 of 22,116
Mad lust...you gave $400 for the Annie's? How is the weight and comfort, say compared to the he400?

Comparing the comfort/weight of the Annie to the HE-400 is like comparing the HE-4 comfort to the HE-400...times 2.

The Annie is the most comfortable full size I have ever worn. It's light as hell too. The memory foam velour pads... best pads ever.

I paid $429 for mine, but they are going for just over $400 now. I don't mind the $30 difference. The Annie is worth it.

Jan 13, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #4,938 of 22,116
^^How do the mids and treble compare to the hd650. 
size]

Jan 13, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #4,941 of 22,116
^^How do the mids and treble compare to the hd650. 
size]

The mids are on par with the HD650, but due to the more open soundstage, it's not as intimate. They are very similar though. The treble, well it has some... lol. It's more energetic than the HD650, but still smooth. It's more engaging and fun, whereas the HD650 is more laid back and relaxing.

Jan 13, 2013 at 8:25 PM Post #4,943 of 22,116
You know I LOVE the HD650. My problem with it is that it's too laid back for my music tastes. The Annie has more energy. Also, the Annie is a lot better for gaming, which the HD650 was good in, but not great. The Annie is basically god tier for gaming. Gaming is number one priority for my headphones, then music/movies.

Jan 13, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #4,944 of 22,116
I see your point. But without hearing the Annie, yet 
size]
, I can tell you that the 650 is lighter, more comfortable, scales better, cost less and attracts more chicks. 
size]

Anyway, I digress. Back to the he400!!

All those coming to the Atlanta CanJam can hear my he400 on the lyr with some ridiculously good tubes. 
size]

Jan 13, 2013 at 8:30 PM Post #4,945 of 22,116
Quote:
By the way, I think I suddenly like how HE400 sound with stock pleathers now. It more or less cures the upper treble spike. Sure it muddles up the imaging and airiness a bit but that's a colouration that is not necessarily negative.

Me too.  That treble was a bit harsh with the velours, tried the pleathers yesterday to give my ears a break.  The soundstage isn't as wide or airy, but it helped with the treble.

That's what made me start thinking about EQ settings to tame the treble even more and bring the mids out.  That sounded really good but the bass was still lacking body like the LCD-2 and HD650 so I bumped up from 220 Hz down and now it sounds amazing to me.  Great mids, tamed treble, fantastic bass, a smoother laid back sound.  It's sounds sort of like a HD650/LCD-2 combo.

Jan 13, 2013 at 8:34 PM Post #4,946 of 22,116
I see your point. But without hearing the Annie, yet 
size]

, I can tell you that the 650 is lighter, more comfortable, scales better, cost less and attracts more chicks. 
size]

Anyway, I digress. Back to the he400!!

All those coming to the Atlanta CanJam can hear my he400 on the lyr with some ridiculously good tubes. 
size]

The cost is around the same! Lol.

The comfort on the Annie > HD650. Just saying. You put them on, you'll see... not much out there that can beat the Annie in comfort. The new pads and flat headband really did wonders for the AKGs. Self adjusting headphones have always been preferrable than those you manually have to extend/retract.

The HE-400 is more energetic than those two though.

As you can see, the Q701 and HD650 have a very similar curve. Not saying they sound alike. They don't. But you can literally boost up the Q701's bass line to HD650 level there (possibly more), as well as softening the peaks in the mid and upper ranges and making the signature darker, and you will have an idea as to why I say the HD650 and Annie have a lot in common.

Jan 13, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #4,948 of 22,116
Quote:
Comparing the comfort/weight of the Annie to the HE-400 is like comparing the HE-4 comfort to the HE-400...times 2.

The Annie is the most comfortable full size I have ever worn. It's light as hell too. The memory foam velour pads... best pads ever.

I paid $429 for mine, but they are going for just over $400 now. I don't mind the $30 difference. The Annie is worth it.

The only thing that gets me on the AKG and some of the Audio Technica models are the hoop-de-doos for the head band.  I do realize that the design is effective when it comes to comfort.  However, when I had my Audio Technicas and went to bed with them on, I put my hands above my head (so my cat wouldn't keep nudging me until I would pet her) and I thought my hands / arms would get tangled up in the hoop-de-doos.   

eek.gif

biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back