**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Aug 6, 2017 at 4:32 PM Post #21,901 of 22,116
I have heard both 400i and 400s. I feel like 400i is much more decent headphone. Clear and open.
Did the HE400 have any mods done to them? Mainly the sorbothane and grill mod is what makes a noticeable difference in the sound signature of the HE400. Also, the HE400i has some differences between the older model with SMC jacks and the back plate versus the newer model with the 2.5mm jacks and no back plate.

Aug 7, 2017 at 10:04 AM Post #21,902 of 22,116
I've used the Focus-A pads before ... any non-hifiman pads other than the Shures on these?

I've used the Focus (non-A) pads before, while they were fine sound & comfort wise, they did not serve well in terms of durability. Others have experienced the same too https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hifiman-focus-pads-durability-concerns.754207/

Most people would say to at least replace the stock ones with the hifiman velours, although they can be very stiff.

I've also used the Audeze vegan pads on the 400, the most comfortable ones I've felt, but they do cost quite a bit. They are larger than the driver housing though, and some people may not like how this looks. They can be mounted using the Hifiman rings but due to their size, the Audeze pads will shift around, which is probably not good for the earpad fabric in the long run. Instead you can use the included adhesive-rings but of course this means you can't easily remove pads.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2017 at 12:02 PM Post #21,903 of 22,116
Did the HE400 have any mods done to them? Mainly the sorbothane and grill mod is what makes a noticeable difference in the sound signature of the HE400. Also, the HE400i has some differences between the older model with SMC jacks and the back plate versus the newer model with the 2.5mm jacks and no back plate.

The HE400 that I have is stock, except for the velour pad (hifiman brand) swap and a cable swap from Best in the Univserse Cables. So this is definitely a good place to start.

I'm thinking of getting the Focus A pads and maybe a new cable, as the current one is showing signs of use. These sound great, however.

Aug 13, 2017 at 3:40 PM Post #21,904 of 22,116
The HE400 that I have is stock, except for the velour pad (hifiman brand) swap and a cable swap from Best in the Univserse Cables. So this is definitely a good place to start.

I'm thinking of getting the Focus A pads and maybe a new cable, as the current one is showing signs of use. These sound great, however.

I would be careful with the Focus-A pads since many in the HE560 thread have noted that they don't last very long due to the fabric ripping at the stiches. I have one set of Focus-A pads but I don't use them since I like the regular Focus pads better for both comfort and sound. While the hifiman velour pads are cheap they are also not very comfortable to me since the padding is stiff compared to most of the other pads. I haven't tried them yet but you might want to try the new round Brainwavz pads since they are both softer and cheaper than OEM pads and you can use the mounting ring from the velour pads so you don't have to purchase any.

If you go back in this thread to mid 2015 there is a lot of discussion on the sorbothane and grill mods to change the HE400 into a really good sounding headphone, in some ways better than the HE400i and LCD-2f to some of my friends.

To make the HE400 a bit more comfortable I modified the headband, this is what I did using leather and closed cell foam:
20150130_094620.jpg

Below is the hard rubber pad mounted in the grill to bring up the mids to get a better over all balanced sound
HE400-mod-2.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #21,906 of 22,116
What else sounds like these? I miss my old HE 400s, but I want to buy something new in box.
A TH-X00 is close but many like my self have issues with the fit of the ear pads, my TH-600 is even closer but I don't think you will find a new one these days and the newer TH-610 has less of a V shaped sound. If you can do a DIY build a modified Nhoord Red V2 gets close.

Sep 6, 2017 at 7:40 AM Post #21,908 of 22,116
A TH-X00 is close but many like my self have issues with the fit of the ear pads, my TH-600 is even closer but I don't think you will find a new one these days and the newer TH-610 has less of a V shaped sound. If you can do a DIY build a modified Nhoord Red V2 gets close.

Ive been looking at the TH-X00 Purpleheart the last few days. Very intrigued, but worried about comfort as well as if it has enough treble sparkle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back