**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Apr 16, 2015 at 10:05 PM Post #19,921 of 22,116

With all due respect (and I mean that), you are also the guy that doesn't hear much difference between the velours and pleathers on the HE400?  Correct me if I'm wrong please.  But, I must say that the velours first and now modded jergpads are the only reason I kept my HE400, so great was the difference to my ears, so be careful in appreciating that we hear things differently and some differences that my be subtle to one user are deal breakers for someone else. money4me247, please don't think I am being condescending or patronising in any way - your input on this forums is epic and I respect your contributions.

Nope, you are right and no worries I don't take any offense. I did some direct comparisons between pleather and velour on the HE-400 as well as one earcup pleather vs one earcup velour, and my personal conclusion was that there was no significantly large difference in sound. I do think the focuspad (or a jergpad mod) improves the sound quality subtly as when I did the a direct comparison with the focuspads against the velours, I did notice an improvement in the sound stage. My personal experience is that earpads may alter the sound, but usually more dependent on earpad size/depth and material directly above the driver. Leather/pleather earpads sometimes have more bass reverb, but very hard to notice imo. I did similar experiments with the three different Oppo PM-1 earpads as well, and personally concluded that earpad material generally will not contribute to a drastic change in sound signature. I generally just pick earpads based on comfort as I feel that has a greater impact on musical enjoyment rather than any the subtle 'difficult-to-detect-in-a-direct-comparison' type sonic changes (just my personal opinion/experiences)

ymmv may vary of course :) and feel free to offer a different pov if your experience is different.

Thank you for the honest and valid reply.  I like to think that dialogue in this manner discussing personal and subjective differences and experiences is what helps people coming to these forums. Cheeers to you 
beerchug.gif

Apr 23, 2015 at 12:43 AM Post #19,922 of 22,116
Hey! Anyone have suggestions for seller that has reasonable priced and build quality for silver cables? I would prefer to throw my money at a head-fier and when I looked on ebay, well, there are a gazillion of them. I have a pair of the Hifiman ones, but, honestly, not impressed with the build quality. They sound fine, but thinking I want a second backup pair, anyway.

Thank you.

Apr 23, 2015 at 12:53 AM Post #19,923 of 22,116
  Hey! Anyone have suggestions for seller that has reasonable priced and build quality for silver cables? I would prefer to throw my money at a head-fier and when I looked on ebay, well, there are a gazillion of them. I have a pair of the Hifiman ones, but, honestly, not impressed with the build quality. They sound fine, but thinking I want a second backup pair, anyway.

Thank you.

I've gotten a few from Venus Audio, cables are well built but not silver, I think they are much better than the one's HIFIMAN sells, got that one first and is fairly thin cables, the one from Venus is built well for the price.  Also ordered some cable from Forza AudioWorks and will be making my own, figured this was the way I can control the length, cable composition and connectors.

Apr 23, 2015 at 1:08 AM Post #19,924 of 22,116
I've used CablePro and Ted is great to work with. He realized there was a cheaper way to ship my cable (and faster!) and he refunded me the difference in less than a day. I had the cable within three days of my order. Raally love my Earcandy and it makes the stock cable feel like a toddler's toy. I also like that they offer longer cables much more affordably than a lot of other cable manufacturers.

I've also used BTG Audio to rewire my RE-600 IEMs, love my Midnight SPC on them. I'm sure his full sized HFM cables are great too. He does silver plated copper cables for full sized cables too.

Apr 23, 2015 at 1:08 AM Post #19,925 of 22,116
  I've gotten a few from Venus Audio, cables are well built but not silver, I think they are much better than the one's HIFIMAN sells, got that one first and is fairly thin cables, the one from Venus is built well for the price.  Also ordered some cable from Forza AudioWorks and will be making my own, figured this was the way I can control the length, cable composition and connectors.

I should just make my own, but just don't feel like I have the time. So many projects at work and home with completion dates months out. Still, it is an excellent idea. I will do some searches in the forums on cable making.

Thank you.

Apr 24, 2015 at 8:16 AM Post #19,927 of 22,116
Hey, what do you folks think about the Focuspad and Focuspad-A in terms of sound and comfort? What is better for the HE 400? Waiting for your inputs. :)
I just switched to the hifiman velour pads yesterday and it's seems the highs have tamed down a bit. Bass is still very good. The velour pads are much more comfortable and there was the sweat issue with the pleather pads. $10.00 is hard to pass up.

Apr 24, 2015 at 10:29 AM Post #19,928 of 22,116
I just switched to the hifiman velour pads yesterday and it's seems the highs have tamed down a bit. Bass is still very good. The velour pads are much more comfortable and there was the sweat issue with the pleather pads. $10.00 is hard to pass up.

Hey, what do you folks think about the Focuspad and Focuspad-A in terms of sound and comfort? What is better for the HE 400? Waiting for your inputs.
smily_headphones1.gif

I am Mister undecided on this one.

I have now the pleather, velour, Focus A and Focus pads. I don't like the pleather, that's relatively easy. Velour are good. The Focus A I used most of the time (also have the grill mod) - due to the larger perceived soundstage. Comfort wise, I like the Focus Pads the most, BUT have only used them for an hour so just early impressions....

But the velour are indeed the best bang for the buck ones to get.

cheers,
K

Apr 24, 2015 at 10:56 AM Post #19,929 of 22,116
Are the Focuspad-A and standard Focuspads on the same level of comfort?

I heard that the Focuspad is not stationary and rotates. Have you folks found a solution for this problem? And does the Focuspad-A do this too?

Sound-wise, which do you prefer overall? I heard that the Focuspads improves the HE-400 recessed mids, but slighty reduces the Soundstage. Do you like this effect?

Waiting again for your inputs. :)

Apr 24, 2015 at 11:25 AM Post #19,930 of 22,116
Didn't notice a drastic difference in sound when I switched from pleather to Focus As, I wasn't really looking for it either though so I'm not the best to ask about that. The Focus As are way more comfortable, they do rotate all the way around once attached.

Apr 24, 2015 at 11:38 AM Post #19,931 of 22,116

I heard that the Focuspad is not stationary and rotates. Have you folks found a solution for this problem? And does the Focuspad-A do this too?

Sound-wise, which do you prefer overall? I heard that the Focuspads improves the HE-400 recessed mids, but slighty reduces the Soundstage. Do you like this effect?

Waiting again for your inputs.
smily_headphones1.gif

I think you can say that the mids come a bit more forward with the focus pads. Bass might be a tad removed but could imagine that. 

On the HE-400 all pads rotate as there is nothing locking them in place. Unlike the HE-560 where the same pads do not rotate....

I think focus pads increase soundstage by a bit. And yes, they are VERY comfortable. Both of them. Th HE-560 comes with Focuspads. 

Didn't notice a drastic difference in sound when I switched from pleather to Focus As, I wasn't really looking for it either though so I'm not the best to ask about that. The Focus As are way more comfortable, they do rotate all the way around once attached.

Apr 24, 2015 at 11:56 AM Post #19,932 of 22,116

Waiting again for your inputs.
smily_headphones1.gif

If you don't want them to rotate you can install the metal ring that HIFIMAN sells for the HE-400i and HE-560.  These have notches on them to keep the pads from rotating.  Another benefit that I noticed is that the bass is better defined due to the better seal.  I had to fabricate a rubber sealing ring between the new metal ring and the existing part of the plastic ring that needed to be retained.
I haven't tried focus-a pads but between the velour and focus pads I prefer the velour on the HE-400, the velour helps to control the highs better IMO, YMMV.

Apr 24, 2015 at 12:03 PM Post #19,933 of 22,116
If you don't want them to rotate you can install the metal ring that HIFIMAN sells for the HE-400i and HE-560.  These have notches on them to keep the pads from rotating.  Another benefit that I noticed is that the bass is better defined due to the better seal.  I had to fabricate a rubber sealing ring between the new metal ring and the existing part of the plastic ring that needed to be retained.
I haven't tried focus-a pads but between the velour and focus pads I prefer the velour on the HE-400, the velour helps to control the highs better IMO, YMMV.

Wow. Good to know. Need to get that ring. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back