**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Apr 15, 2015 at 7:17 PM Post #19,906 of 22,116
stole them off my lcd-2f's. Considering that I find them all but equal (just diff sound sig) to he-500 and lcd-2f, 80 dollar pads are justifiable on a 250 headphone (making it 330). but it is a lot for pads, no doubt. But yea I was careful to keep the double sided tape on the pad side when they were removed and it still had enough adhesive to bond strongly to the he-400, without mounting rings.

Apr 15, 2015 at 7:20 PM Post #19,907 of 22,116
but I feel that the ones I have are not as peaky in the treble, even though they are revision 4 drivers. I've owned 4 pairs through my head fi journey, and 2 in particular I felt were quite sharp. These don't seem to be, although my source is different this time. Running iphone 6 with accudio. I use either the lcd-2 with treble tuned down 2 db's, or he-500 presets. Was using the he-4 preset but its too dark and muffled. LOD to hifi m8 with the iem diy mod.

Apr 15, 2015 at 8:21 PM Post #19,908 of 22,116
  but I feel that the ones I have are not as peaky in the treble, even though they are revision 4 drivers. I've owned 4 pairs through my head fi journey, and 2 in particular I felt were quite sharp. These don't seem to be, although my source is different this time. Running iphone 6 with accudio. I use either the lcd-2 with treble tuned down 2 db's, or he-500 presets. Was using the he-4 preset but its too dark and muffled. LOD to hifi m8 with the iem diy mod.

Have you tried any tube amps with the HE-400?  I started with a modi/magni stack for the HE-400 and didn't care for the sound signature.  Finally got a Project Ember and playing with different tubes it made the HE-400 much better behaved, the bass was there but the highs were nicely smoothed out.

Apr 15, 2015 at 8:22 PM Post #19,909 of 22,116
  Have you tried any tube amps with the HE-400?  I started with a modi/magni stack for the HE-400 and didn't care for the sound signature.  Finally got a Project Ember and playing with different tubes it made the HE-400 much better behaved, the bass was there but the highs were nicely smoothed out.

exactly the same experience here
L3000.gif

Apr 15, 2015 at 9:54 PM Post #19,911 of 22,116

How do you like using 6ns7 tubes vs 12au7?  I got my ember without the supercharger so i'll have to mod it if I want to use 6ns7

i prefer the 6ns7 family to all my others tube including amperex and bugle boy.......the difference is big enough to discard other tubes for me.....But between the 6ns7 family members and for exemple between two sylvanias the difference exist very much..... but i prefer all my 6ns7 to all my others tubes i dont listen others tubes now.....
biggrin.gif

Apr 15, 2015 at 10:53 PM Post #19,912 of 22,116

i prefer the 6ns7 family to all my others tube including amperex and bugle boy.......the difference is big enough to discard other tubes for me.....But between the 6ns7 family members and for exemple between two sylvanias the difference exist very much..... but i prefer all my 6ns7 to all my others tubes i dont listen others tubes now.....
biggrin.gif

Dam, you had to say that, looks like my wallet is going to hide again and my soldering iron is getting hot

Apr 15, 2015 at 11:14 PM Post #19,913 of 22,116

Dam, you had to say that, looks like my wallet is going to hide again and my soldering iron is getting hot

beerchug.gif
oups! wrong emoticon.......
devil_face.gif
better this one...
deadhorse.gif

Apr 16, 2015 at 7:56 AM Post #19,914 of 22,116
  stole them off my lcd-2f's. Considering that I find them all but equal (just diff sound sig) to he-500 and lcd-2f, 80 dollar pads are justifiable on a 250 headphone (making it 330). but it is a lot for pads, no doubt. But yea I was careful to keep the double sided tape on the pad side when they were removed and it still had enough adhesive to bond strongly to the he-400, without mounting rings.

Awesome I was wandering if that would work, could you upload a picture of how they look with the LCD2 pads.
I kinda wanted to do that with the LCD leather pad but wasn't sure if it was going to fit and sound nice, and didn't want to risk $80, thanks a ton for sharing.
Do you think the  leather pads would mess with the sound compared to the vegan pads? I was originally planning on the focus pads but this seems like they would be way comfier. Thanks.

Apr 16, 2015 at 1:37 PM Post #19,915 of 22,116
Awesome I was wandering if that would work, could you upload a picture of how they look with the LCD2 pads.
I kinda wanted to do that with the LCD leather pad but wasn't sure if it was going to fit and sound nice, and didn't want to risk $80, thanks a ton for sharing.
Do you think the  leather pads would mess with the sound compared to the vegan pads? I was originally planning on the focus pads but this seems like they would be way comfier. Thanks.

differences between the leather and vegan pads wld be subtle from my experience of comparing the two. i did not notice any big differences personally. the velours are much more comfortable and breathable (most ppl who say they hear sonic differences prefer the velours). the leather pads look nicer, but can a bit hot & stuffy after extended usage. hope this is helpful :)

Apr 16, 2015 at 7:32 PM Post #19,918 of 22,116
ok, got the metal/aluminum rings from HIFIMAN, yes they fit.  The existing ring is two plastic pieces that are keyed together, need to remove the top ring from the bottom, be careful as they are quite well fitted.  The other thing to watch for is that there is a left and right ring, found this out only when I tried to install the focus pads, the seam ended up on the top, looks ugly.  Had to take it all apart and switch sides and the notches on the ring orient the focus pads correctly.  Since the new ring is thinner and has recessed holes you need to put some sort of spacer between the bottom plastic ring and the new one, I used some thin rubber padding I had which provides a good seal and helps to tighten up the bass.

Apr 16, 2015 at 8:56 PM Post #19,919 of 22,116

Thanks for the impressions.  Can you point me to the best place to buy these pads if I wanted to try them?  EDIT - I'm in the UK.

differences between the leather and vegan pads wld be subtle from my experience of comparing the two. i did not notice any big differences personally. the velours are much more comfortable and breathable (most ppl who say they hear sonic differences prefer the velours). the leather pads look nicer, but can a bit hot & stuffy after extended usage. hope this is helpful
smily_headphones1.gif

With all due respect (and I mean that), you are also the guy that doesn't hear much difference between the velours and pleathers on the HE400?  Correct me if I'm wrong please.  But, I must say that the velours first and now modded jergpads are the only reason I kept my HE400, so great was the difference to my ears, so be careful in appreciating that we hear things differently and some differences that my be subtle to one user are deal breakers for someone else. money4me247, please don't think I am being condescending or patronising in any way - your input on this forums is epic and I respect your contributions.

Apr 16, 2015 at 9:08 PM Post #19,920 of 22,116
  With all due respect (and I mean that), you are also the guy that doesn't hear much difference between the velours and pleathers on the HE400?  Correct me if I'm wrong please.  But, I must say that the velours first and now modded jergpads are the only reason I kept my HE400, so great was the difference to my ears, so be careful in appreciating that we hear things differently and some differences that my be subtle to one user are deal breakers for someone else. money4me247, please don't think I am being condescending or patronising in any way - your input on this forums is epic and I respect your contributions.

Nope, you are right and no worries I don't take any offense. I did some direct comparisons between pleather and velour on the HE-400 as well as one earcup pleather vs one earcup velour, and my personal conclusion was that there was no significantly large difference in sound. I do think the focuspad (or a jergpad mod) improves the sound quality subtly as when I did the a direct comparison with the focuspads against the velours, I did notice an improvement in the sound stage. My personal experience is that earpads may alter the sound, but usually more dependent on earpad size/depth and material directly above the driver. Leather/pleather earpads sometimes have more bass reverb, but very hard to notice imo. I did similar experiments with the three different Oppo PM-1 earpads as well, and personally concluded that earpad material generally will not contribute to a drastic change in sound signature. I generally just pick earpads based on comfort as I feel that has a greater impact on musical enjoyment rather than any the subtle 'difficult-to-detect-in-a-direct-comparison' type sonic changes (just my personal opinion/experiences)

ymmv may vary of course :) and feel free to offer a different pov if your experience is different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back