**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Mar 26, 2015 at 10:33 PM Post #19,786 of 22,116
I'm still sport in' the leather pads & still very impressed with the sound I'm hearing. Bass is fantastic. If my he-500's had this bass I'd consider them end-game. The search for perfection seems never ending.

Mar 26, 2015 at 10:37 PM Post #19,787 of 22,116
The only thing I can think is it was interior reflections and not a good seal. The cups surrounded my ears and there was no spot it wasn't firmly seated but I couldn't shake the sound of headphones being held away from my ears. Perhaps my short haircut, flat skull shape on the sides, created standing waves that the leatherette reflected? Who knows. I think the velour works so well in these and my Beyerdynamics because it has a rough surface texture that tends to diffuse and scatter sound instead of focused reflections. These are still way more open than my 990's but they no longer sound like a terrible listening environment. The slate floor room with bare walls these speakers were in, just got a throw rug, some drapes, and some Auralex panels. :)

Mar 26, 2015 at 11:28 PM Post #19,788 of 22,116
Hi, Head-Fi'ers.

I'm looking for a new pair of head phones, and decided to go with the HE-400's I read a ton of reviews and opinions and they seem like a perfect match for me. My current setup is, using my Motherboard's great DAC (great only in terms of built in DAC's) connected to my Schiit Vali AMP powering my DT 990 Pro's. This is my first mid/high fi setup, and it truthfully sounds incredible, but i have been wanting something which has a deeper, smoother sound and given that my dream headphones are the Audeze LCD 3/2's ( but are way out of my price range) with planer magnets I decided to go with the HE-400s and to keep the rest of my setup the same.

From what I read there are several things that can help me get the most out of the HE-400
1- A head band mod, I decided to get the hd600 headband foam http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Foam-Headband-HD600-HD580/dp/B00J80IMJ4
2- a grill mod, which I may try down the line http://www.head-fi.org/t/619447/hifiman-regrilling-mod
3- And (velour/velvet) Ear Pads. This is currently giving me a headache trying to decide on ear pads, as this is the most important factor for me cause I wear them most of the day. I've narrowed it down to three ear pads which seem good.

First- FocusPad a/non a http://www.head-direct.com/Products/?act=Detail&id=198, but it seems that there may be some better options and they cost quite a bit if I'm not sure I will like them.
Second- My next choice is cheaper, they are ear pads from Brainwavz on amazon http://www.amazon.com/Brainwavz-Velor-Memory-Replacements-Earpads/dp/B00MFDX4YO#customerReviews they seem nice but I'm not sure if they'l match up to the others
Third- And finally a ear pad that I know I like, and heard are compatible with the HE-400's (just by switching the mounting plate); the dt-990 ear pad. I love these ear pads from my DT-990 pro but mine have gotten very flat in the time I have been using them, so not sure if it is worth it to get them for the HE-400.  http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-EDT990V-Headphone-Pads-Silver/dp/B001BYL5YE.

So could any one inform me on which they think would be the best bet, I've check a bunch of threads but haven't found any comparisons of the three (unless I missed it). I"m open to any opinions (max 50$
frown.gif
).

If any one has any other opinions or ideas in general as well, that will be greatly appreciated.

I'm still pretty new to the Head-Fi/Audiophile community, so sorry for my lack of knowledge in this area.
Thank you all, I'm looking forward to these great cans.

Thank you.

Mar 27, 2015 at 12:38 AM Post #19,789 of 22,116
  It was the @#$@#$ leather earpads. My velour replacements came in tonight. Tight acoustic seal now, bass sounds strong but normal, mids are no longer echoey. The sound signature is completely different. Seriously I don't know how anybody could deal with these using the stock leatherettes, it's the biggest change in sound character I've ever experienced just from changing pads. There is a midrange now as well.

I tossed the pleather ear pads for the velours within two weeks of owning my HE-400s. I now use the focus pads. Frankly, I don't feel the focus pads don't make the HE-400 sound better but a whole bunch more comfy.

I am glad you found the velours. Hopefully, the HE-400s will now be in your top three headphones. They are an amazing value in my opinion.

Mar 27, 2015 at 1:20 AM Post #19,790 of 22,116

So could any one inform me on which they think would be the best bet, I've check a bunch of threads but haven't found any comparisons of the three (unless I missed it). I"m open to any opinions (max 50$
frown.gif
).

Having just been down this road myself, I'll throw in my two cents.  I tried the Beyer pads and couldn't get them on the HE-400 plastic rings, which I believe are necessary for attachment and which seem to require buying a complete set of HiFiMan stock pads.  I trashed a set of rings trying to whittle them down to fit the Beyer pads, which may have been unnecessary but I'm new to this.

I also tried the Brainwavz pads and did eventually get them on a set of rings but I burned (actually "broke") another set of rings in the process.  So now I have a total of 3 sets of HiFiMan pads, costing whatever I had to pay for them, and being more or less useless without extracting the tight fitting rings from the Brainwavz pads.  

I also tried a set of Denon knockoff pads which have more padding foam in the back than the front, allowing greater contact between the pad and the area behind the ear as it curves around the back of the head.  Some have said that the rather narrow opening in these pads (the exterior circumference is obviously circular like the HE-400 cup, but the interior circumference is a narrow oval) inhibits sound quality and limits space for ears.  I'm no judge of sound quality (they still sound great to me!) and my ears fit just fine.  

I'm wearing the Denon-like pads now and find them perfectly comfortable but you'd have to ask one of the myriad experts here at head-fi whether they will destroy your SQ.  

Also, I did the headband mod and I like it.  I wear these for hours and don't notice they are on most of the time so I guess it's all good.  

I only discovered the focus pads recently, after spending $100 on other pads (much of which were the several sets of stock replacements I needed only for the plastic rings) and I wish I had found them right off the bat.  I haven't tried them but they seem like they'd be at least as good as the brainwavz velours and they probably come with the plastic rings already installed. 

Mar 27, 2015 at 1:36 AM Post #19,791 of 22,116
Not to change the subject or anything, but...

While I'm thoroughly enjoying my HE-400, I find I am also in the market for an 'alternative' headphone of decent quality.  I just can't bear to listen to the crap I once thought was as good as it gets.  I would like something closed-back, possibly wood-cupped, for listening in bed when the wife is asleep or watching TV or whatever.  It may also be cool if it offers a different but still appealing sound signature, for contrast and comparison. I love clarity, I don't require bone jarring bass, I listen to mainly to jazz, modern jazz, jazz-electronica, and a touch of world variety.  Good balance across the spectrum, maybe not overly bright, warm is ok...can you tell I'm new at this?

Anyway, anyone have a particular alternate pair they go to when they're not using their Hifiman's?  What do you like about them in comparison to the HE-400?  Any recommendations for me? 

Mar 27, 2015 at 7:33 AM Post #19,794 of 22,116
Having just been down this road myself, I'll throw in my two cents.  I tried the Beyer pads and couldn't get them on the HE-400 plastic rings, which I believe are necessary for attachment and which seem to require buying a complete set of HiFiMan stock pads.  I trashed a set of rings trying to whittle them down to fit the Beyer pads, which may have been unnecessary but I'm new to this.

I also tried the Brainwavz pads and did eventually get them on a set of rings but I burned (actually "broke") another set of rings in the process.  So now I have a total of 3 sets of HiFiMan pads, costing whatever I had to pay for them, and being more or less useless without extracting the tight fitting rings from the Brainwavz pads.  

I also tried a set of Denon knockoff pads which have more padding foam in the back than the front, allowing greater contact between the pad and the area behind the ear as it curves around the back of the head.  Some have said that the rather narrow opening in these pads (the exterior circumference is obviously circular like the HE-400 cup, but the interior circumference is a narrow oval) inhibits sound quality and limits space for ears.  I'm no judge of sound quality (they still sound great to me!) and my ears fit just fine.  

I'm wearing the Denon-like pads now and find them perfectly comfortable but you'd have to ask one of the myriad experts here at head-fi whether they will destroy your SQ.  

Also, I did the headband mod and I like it.  I wear these for hours and don't notice they are on most of the time so I guess it's all good.  

I only discovered the focus pads recently, after spending $100 on other pads (much of which were the several sets of stock replacements I needed only for the plastic rings) and I wish I had found them right off the bat.  I haven't tried them but they seem like they'd be at least as good as the brainwavz velours and they probably come with the plastic rings already installed. 

Thanks a ton Ricvic, that is a great help, well I guess I'll go with the focuspad, thanks you again a great help and saved me a serious head and a bunch of wait time.

Mar 27, 2015 at 10:29 AM Post #19,795 of 22,116
Focus Pads all the way just for the comfort! I never really objectively compared the Focus Pads and pleather because once the Focus' were on, they weren't coming off, I did not notice much of a SQ change but I also wasn't looking for it.

I really wish I could do the re-grilling mod on my HE-400s but having three cats that shed a fair amount, I need the extra protection to protect my drivers. Still really loving them though, especially with just some slight EQ (only 1-3dB, + or -) changes on JRiver. I guess for some reason people here think EQ is just evil but it balances them out real well for me, I hear absolutely zero sound degradation, with more full miss and a bit less fatiguing treble. The treble on my set of 400s is really only a problem with some black metal albums just due to their production style, even then it still sounds fine, just a bit fatiguing. 

Mar 27, 2015 at 12:09 PM Post #19,796 of 22,116
Focus Pads all the way just for the comfort! I never really objectively compared the Focus Pads and pleather because once the Focus' were on, they weren't coming off, I did not notice much of a SQ change but I also wasn't looking for it.

I really wish I could do the re-grilling mod on my HE-400s but having three cats that shed a fair amount, I need the extra protection to protect my drivers. Still really loving them though, especially with just some slight EQ (only 1-3dB, + or -) changes on JRiver. I guess for some reason people here think EQ is just evil but it balances them out real well for me, I hear absolutely zero sound degradation, with more full miss and a bit less fatiguing treble. The treble on my set of 400s is really only a problem with some black metal albums just due to their production style, even then it still sounds fine, just a bit fatiguing. 

Thanks, RanchBro focuspad it is.
Ya people on head-fi hate EQ i guess causw it colors the sound, but unless your using the headphones for studio monitering, EQ is fine in my opinion. I'm hoping my Schiit Vali will have the same effect on the HE's as my dt-990 and reduce any harsh highs.

I'm also kinda worried about the grill mod since my area is very dusty and I'm very sure that's not good for headphones.

Thanks again RanchBro.

Mar 27, 2015 at 12:24 PM Post #19,797 of 22,116

While I'm thoroughly enjoying my HE-400, I find I am also in the market for an 'alternative' headphone of decent quality.  I just can't bear to listen to the crap I once thought was as good as it gets.  I would like something closed-back, possibly wood-cupped, for listening in bed when the wife is asleep or watching TV or whatever.  It may also be cool if it offers a different but still appealing sound signature, for contrast and comparison. I love clarity, I don't require bone jarring bass, I listen to mainly to jazz, modern jazz, jazz-electronica, and a touch of world variety.  Good balance across the spectrum, maybe not overly bright, warm is ok...can you tell I'm new at this?

Anyway, anyone have a particular alternate pair they go to when they're not using their Hifiman's?  What do you like about them in comparison to the HE-400?  Any recommendations for me? 

For contrasting alternative headphones I use either my Grado RS2e (wood cups but open), HD-700 (open) or EL8 (open).  The only closed headphones that I have are ATH-M50x, MDR-7506, V-Moda XS and Momentum on & over ear used mostly when I travel or for sleeping in bed and don't want to disturb girlfriend.  Head over to this thread for great info on closed headphones: http://www.head-fi.org/t/672743/comparisons-25-of-the-top-closed-portable-headphones-around
hope this helps.

Mar 27, 2015 at 12:38 PM Post #19,798 of 22,116

I know you were thinking about closed-back full-size headphones but do you have a pair of IEMs you enjoy already? I know IEMs aren't for everyone and all but sometimes I have a hard time deciding between my RE-600 and HE-400. The 600s are a bit smoother and a bit more balanced but I never found their sound signatures jarringly different. Some times IEMs really come in handy and I just figured I'd throw that out there as an option to explore.

Mar 27, 2015 at 2:06 PM Post #19,799 of 22,116
if anyone is using itouch devices or iphones, the accudio app has a new hifiman he4 setting which makes the he-400 sound very sweet. Used to use the he-500 setting, but the new he-4 setting is great for a balanced sound

Mar 27, 2015 at 3:26 PM Post #19,800 of 22,116
Another question about the HE-400, any one got some knowledge about the driver revisions and where to get the latest models of the HE-400 (I'm not sure how to tell if the one on amazon is the latest/best revision).

Thanks Head Fi'ers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back