**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jan 15, 2015 at 6:59 PM Post #18,976 of 22,116
I use a Fulla with my HE-400 and yes it is able to power it well. I have an iMac here and it sounds "ok", the Fulla gives much more depth and the bass is now really good. The iMac is not able to produce the same bass quality and quantity as the Fulla does. Max volume I had was around 12/1 o'clock and that was with "silent" recorded music, but this is already pretty loud, the funny part is that it sounds better when the Fulla warms up.

Jan 15, 2015 at 8:36 PM Post #18,977 of 22,116
I use a Fulla with my HE-400 and yes it is able to power it well. I have an iMac here and it sounds "ok", the Fulla gives much more depth and the bass is now really good. The iMac is not able to produce the same bass quality and quantity as the Fulla does. Max volume I had was around 12/1 o'clock and that was with "silent" recorded music, but this is already pretty loud, the funny part is that it sounds better when the Fulla warms up.

That's what I'm thinking it is. With volume maxed on my PC it doesn't really get as loud as you would expect and it feels like some details are missing. Also waled away from them and now have the Shovel Knight OST playing. Man it sounds great on here.

Jan 15, 2015 at 9:18 PM Post #18,978 of 22,116
Estimated ship date for my HE-400s and my Fidelio X2s is tomorrow...pretty excited. TGIF. 
biggrin.gif

Jan 15, 2015 at 9:18 PM Post #18,979 of 22,116
  http://www.amazon.com/Brainwavz-Gypsum-Headphone-Stand-Sizes/dp/B00D741DRK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1421353000&sr=8-2&keywords=brainwavz+headphone+stands

I've got two of these.  I don't like the ones that the pads get compressed nor the ones that the headband gets dented so this is a good solution.

Is that stand stable for the 400's weight? Also, the top of it has a very small surface area, would that cause the headphones to drop off?
If you got two of them, I assume they work fine for you.

Jan 15, 2015 at 10:38 PM Post #18,980 of 22,116
Is that stand stable for the 400's weight? Also, the top of it has a very small surface area, would that cause the headphones to drop off?
If you got two of them, I assume they work fine for you.

I've put my HE-6 on them and they are adequately stable. The lightweight phones like all the Denons are no issue. There is plenty of contact are up top fortunately.

Jan 15, 2015 at 10:49 PM Post #18,981 of 22,116
I need a nice stand. Right now on my computer desk, it has the whole upper section with shelves and a couple storage areas, one with a door. I keep my headphones just hanging over the door which stays open and I wrap the cable around the door as well. Works, not the most appealing but keeps them up and out of the way safe. I'm looking for a new desk however and I don't want one that has the upper section so I'll have to figure out a different solution. I may have to just get a couple cases of some sort and store the ones I'm not currently using and leave one out on a stand or something. 

Jan 16, 2015 at 12:27 AM Post #18,982 of 22,116

PS: The stand type I would recommend for these would be something along these lines:
http://www.wooaudio.com/products/wahps2.html
http://www.wooaudio.com/products/wahpsc.html

Rounded top & hanging design so earpads are not touching anything & adjustable height. There are similar cheaper options that can be found though without the adjustable height. The HE-400s are actually taller than most other headphones due to the wire connector design, so make sure you check the stand height prior to purchasing. I actually have a bunch of cheap stands I purchased for the HE-400 that do not work as the HE-400 is too tall.

+1 on woo audio stands

I went through several stands and was about to give up and build my own when I came across the woo audio. They are expensive, and if you order directly from woo audio, their shipping times are dismal; six to eight weeks to the US. Better to find one from an online retailer. Besides, the one I found after ordering from woo audio was charging the same price but their shipping is free.

Jan 16, 2015 at 12:38 AM Post #18,983 of 22,116

+1 on woo audio stands

I went through several stands and was about to give up and build my own when I came across the woo audio. They are expensive, and if you order directly from woo audio, their shipping times are dismal; six to eight weeks to the US. Better to find one from an online retailer. Besides, the one I found after ordering from woo audio was charging the same price but their shipping is free.

this website has free shipping & same pricing for the double stand. http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=WAHPST&variation=BLK

Jan 16, 2015 at 1:05 AM Post #18,984 of 22,116
  this website has free shipping & same pricing for the double stand. http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=WAHPST&variation=BLK

Yeah! That was the site. Unfortunately, I believe they ship to the US only. I could be mistaken.

Jan 16, 2015 at 10:34 AM Post #18,986 of 22,116
  Question: Would an E10k be enough to drive an HE-400?  I assume if would be but just wanted to be sure.

Yea it should be fine to run it since they are pretty easy to drive, I have the e10k currently and I ordered a pair of HE-400 that will arrive next week.  I am planning on doing an A/B test between my e10k and my little dot mark III to see how each holds up.  I will report back!

Jan 16, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #18,988 of 22,116
  Question: Would an E10k be enough to drive an HE-400?  I assume if would be but just wanted to be sure.

I'm using the e10k with my HE-400. I do not have any other amps so I can't do any comparisons.
What I can say, is that I use my e10k with the gain off, and only at 5 out of 10 on the volume knob. This has been more than enough to get me the volume I require.

Jan 16, 2015 at 12:09 PM Post #18,989 of 22,116
I asked this earlier with no response...but has anyone changed out the cable connections on the cups? 

Jan 16, 2015 at 12:09 PM Post #18,990 of 22,116
Regarding the large amount of sound leakage with the HE-400's, has anyone out there done any mods to significantly reduce this leakage?  Or does the design of the HE-400 driver require this level of openness to sound good, meaning, don't bother and look elsewhere for other models.  My guess is that sound leakage could be physically reduced with modification but that the audio quality would then, in turn, suck pretty bad.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back