**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Sep 2, 2014 at 4:02 PM Post #17,986 of 22,116

mmm I've tried that headband, and it doesn't really fit that well. it kind of squishes the wide HE-400 headband and it is extremely hard to fully snap close all the buttons.

I would recommend the hd650 replacement headband: http://en-us.sennheiser.com/kp-hd-650

Do you know how that headband rests on the HE-400?  Is it strapped on or is there like a tape?

Sep 2, 2014 at 5:59 PM Post #17,988 of 22,116
  Do you know how that headband rests on the HE-400?  Is it strapped on or is there like a tape?

You purchase little velcro thingys and just velcro it on. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0057564PS/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=HKHLY7EOVKE3&coliid=I297BPGER1CEMY

I have this one, it works well

Interesting. I had the 6-button one and I personally couldn't get the middle part to snap close without severely deforming the headband. I guess maybe I didn't fiddle around with it enough, but I didn't think it would work.

Sep 3, 2014 at 3:53 PM Post #17,991 of 22,116
for those interested in the 400i, feel free to check out my review, in which I compare them to the 400 with focuspads. Just posted today. 

Sep 3, 2014 at 5:23 PM Post #17,992 of 22,116
I didn't know how to post a new thread, to ask this so I figured this would be a suitable place.

I have an HE-400 as well as the Schiit Magni/Modi stack. I haven't used the setup in a while and just came back to it.

I am finding that even with volume maxed out on the Magni, it is still a comfortable listening level. I know this can not be normal as I have seen other people talk about listening at around 3 o clock. 

When plugging in a pair of Sennheiser HD 515s, I get drastically louder volumes. I know this is normal, but it is a very drastic difference, and I much prefer that output range.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sep 4, 2014 at 8:05 PM Post #17,995 of 22,116
Just got these yesterday and have spent an hour or two on them, and it didnt wow me... this is my first fullsize open back, and I did have a great expectation on them. These supposed to be have the best bass on open back headphone on this price range? I am beginning to think you guys are exaggerating about the bass. The clarity is great though, I don't have any problem on the treble at all.

I still want believe on that guy who said orthos need time to shine.

I am playing them through Aune T1 with mid gain, though I still hearing clipping, is this because of the amp or something else?

Sep 4, 2014 at 8:30 PM Post #17,996 of 22,116
If this is your first open-backed headphone and you have a history of listening to closed-back headphones (especially consumer oriented ones), then you will most likely find the quantity underwhelming.  Know this though, the HE-400's bass quantity and extension are about tops when it comes to open-backed headphones.  There are a couple open-backs with mid-bass humps (x1, dt990), but their bass won't extend as deep as the he-400.

Sep 4, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #17,998 of 22,116
  Just got these yesterday and have spent an hour or two on them, and it didnt wow me... this is my first fullsize open back, and I did have a great expectation on them. These supposed to be have the best bass on open back headphone on this price range? I am beginning to think you guys are exaggerating about the bass. The clarity is great though, I don't have any problem on the treble at all.

I am playing them through Aune T1 with mid gain, though I still hearing clipping, is this because of the amp or something else?

Yes, these are probably the best bass of open. Most quantity and quality out of everything else for open. With open you get increased sound stage and more realistic/natural sound for the sacrifice of bass quantity & reverb. I personally do not know of another pair of open that can compete with the HE-400 in terms of bass. Maybe someone can?

If this is your first open-backed headphone and you have a history of listening to closed-back headphones (especially consumer oriented ones), then you will most likely find the quantity underwhelming.  Know this though, the HE-400's bass quantity and extension are about tops when it comes to open-backed headphones.  There are a couple open-backs with mid-bass humps (x1, dt990), but their bass won't extend as deep as the he-400.

+1. This is absolutely true. If you are coming from closed, then the bass quantity is much less. However, the QUALITY of the bass of the HE-400 is definitely improved over all other competition. I am say this pretty confidently because I had the chance to direct A/B compare the HE-400 against the V-Moda M100s for a few weeks. The M100s are considered to be one of the best closed basshead headphones in the sub-$400 range. The bass of the M100 sounded bloated & muddy in comparison. I was greatly shocked because I had owned M100s previously and considered them to have the best bass quality out of all the headphones I've tried previously until the direct A/B comparison to the HE-400. Honestly with all these sound signature changes of headphones, it takes a few days for your brain to adjust to a new sound. However, after you tried the HE-400s for a while and them go compare them against any closed or open pair of sub-$400 headphones, you will find that the bass QUALITY is definitely improved. Quantity is definitely less and these can't even be considered to be basshead headphones, but I think you will come to appreciate the audiophile sound quality with its amazing bass. I personally find it to be a great balance as a basshead at heart.

So you might think it is an exaggeration when I say that HE-400 is the best, but I am really confident in that statement. Direct compared a lot of headphones against the HE-400. The HE-400's bass even beats out the HE-560. That's why I haven't sold it hahah.

Sep 4, 2014 at 8:47 PM Post #17,999 of 22,116

Headphones don't need time to shine. However, your brain is biased towards whatever sound signature you are familiar with and dislikes changes. Takes a bit of time for you to get used to a new sound signature.

Funny when I moved up to the HE-560 I was actually initially disappointed as well because I was so used to the HE-400's sound sig.

In terms of amps, orthos need more power than most other headphones. The Aune T1 should be acceptable though as I ran my HE-400s out of the Bravo V3 and they sounded great.

Sep 4, 2014 at 8:58 PM Post #18,000 of 22,116
Well, i got my pair of HE-400 today ( $220 shipped, used for almost 3 months, focus pads included ), and it need to say, it's so FANTASTIC !!!
even i'm not a audiophile, it changed my listening experience so much.
The question is : is it worth to upgrade/rebuild the headphones cable ?
will a shorter cable with better material quality and connectors do a better job ?
Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back