**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Mar 4, 2014 at 9:31 AM Post #16,592 of 22,116
Has anyone used the Audio-gd NFB-15.32 with the HE-400?  This unit appeals to me because I could use the Optical port from my soundcard to this device and get all the surround sound gaming features of the soundcard.

How does it compare to other DAC/Amps in the same price range?

Mar 4, 2014 at 10:39 AM Post #16,593 of 22,116
  i wish i was in the community when it happened... you have to imagine the shock when the forum troll designs a better amp than the professionals...

also, if i order an o2 amp, it should come with a cable to connect to my dac with, right?

I forgot. I got mine through JDS labs (they were great). You need to buy a power adapter. You can get the standard wall wart ($11), or buy one from Mouser or wherever that is in spec. So, you are up to $141+shipping. 

You will also need a cable for connection to your DAC. Based on what you have, a Y-Splitter / 3.5mm adapter. Saw some in Target the other day for about 6 bucks. Probably some "1 penny" deals out there (like monoprice or amazon).

I bought a very short 3.5mm to 3.5mm for the ODAC (3 inches!), but wish I had gone a little longer (cable lifts the ODAC in the air lol). The ODAC comes with a nice long USB cable should you decide you want it.

A big reason I bought the O2 had nothing to do with the "controversy" per-se and everything to do with the fact that actual published specs on the thing were available to look at! It is an open source design, so it is making money for a few small companies. It has also "raised the bar" in some ways on what a "cheap" amp should be able to do. I was horrified when I started looking for headphone amps at the lack of information and impossible-to-determine quality. The marketing / fact ratios are way off.
tongue.gif

The Schiit amp came out after I bought the O2, so as far as good cheap amps go, there are mainly that one, the O2, and Fiio amps. Gain figures, output impedance, and power output are critical specs that many companies don't publish. So, automatic pass on those products unless I can find out somehow. What? You'd buy a car without knowing the gas mileage and horsepower? I think not!
biggrin.gif

Mar 4, 2014 at 10:46 AM Post #16,594 of 22,116
  Where can I find a link to download the posihfopit version?  The site hosting the software is down.

Download the install file at the end of the article here:

http://www.savioursofsoul.de/Christian/vst-plugins/eqs-filters/electri-q/

Install it and navigate to "C:\Program Files (x86)\VstPlugins" or "C:\Program Files\VstPlugins" (depending on what Windows you have). Here is the posihfopit dll you need. Drop this file into your VST directory which you specified when you installed George Yohng's VST wrapper. Mine is at "C:\Program Files (x86)\foobar2000\VST" btw. I specified this location when I installed VST. You should now be able to launch it from the system tray the next time you launch foobar.

If anyone has further problems PM me. I don't want to stray too far off HE-400 discussion.

Mar 4, 2014 at 10:59 AM Post #16,595 of 22,116

I forgot. I got mine through JDS labs (they were great). You need to buy a power adapter. You can get the standard wall wart ($11), or buy one from Mouser or wherever that is in spec. So, you are up to $141+shipping. 

You will also need a cable for connection to your DAC. Based on what you have, a Y-Splitter / 3.5mm adapter. Saw some in Target the other day for about 6 bucks. Probably some "1 penny" deals out there (like monoprice or amazon).

I bought a very short 3.5mm to 3.5mm for the ODAC (3 inches!), but wish I had gone a little longer (cable lifts the ODAC in the air lol). The ODAC comes with a nice long USB cable should you decide you want it.

A big reason I bought the O2 had nothing to do with the "controversy" per-se and everything to do with the fact that actual published specs on the thing were available to look at! It is an open source design, so it is making money for a few small companies. It has also "raised the bar" in some ways on what a "cheap" amp should be able to do. I was horrified when I started looking for headphone amps at the lack of information and impossible-to-determine quality. The marketing / fact ratios are way off.
tongue.gif

The Schiit amp came out after I bought the O2, so as far as good cheap amps go, there are mainly that one, the O2, and Fiio amps. Gain figures, output impedance, and power output are critical specs that many companies don't publish. So, automatic pass on those products unless I can find out somehow. What? You'd buy a car without knowing the gas mileage and horsepower? I think not!
biggrin.gif

looks like amazon's comes with power adapter http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E0DMCO0/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

for Y-Splitter / 3.5mm adapter, i assume you mean with 2 male and 1 female, you need a female for the amp, right?

Mar 4, 2014 at 1:19 PM Post #16,596 of 22,116
Hello ppl, I was getting a bit irritated with the HE400 due to the usual issues, sibilance, recessed upper mids, harsh / artificial treble sound..... I think I finally cracked it, Making these good all rounders.... Obviously they still excel at some genres and not so great with others but at least I actually enjoy using these with vocals, metal, rock etc. now, they were always good with electronic, OST etc. Here is what I did.....

1) EQ with electri-Q - (Bass boost, slight boost from 600hz down, leave 700-1500 flat as they are raised anyway, about a 3 DB boost from ~1800-6000hz, 2 dips at ~7500hz and ~12500hz) You might have already done that.... But here is the little secret I found to make the treble sound more natural, really helps the "tizz" etc....

2) Using Elelctri-Q (in digital mode) set all the points above 6khz to "warm - peak analog filter" (leaving everything else on "peak-orfandis") this seems to add an analog type effect to the upper treble which gives slightly more decay and smoother / more natural treble, because lets face it the stock treble on these does not sound natural.... But with the EQ and the filters on the treble... Much better, I am actually enjoying metal on these now which before all I used them for was electronic and OST. You still get the clarity from 0-6000hz but the treble sounds smoother / slightly blurred / more decay, no more ear pain or sibilance and a more natural decay on the treble...

Mar 4, 2014 at 1:34 PM Post #16,597 of 22,116

looks like amazon's comes with power adapter http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E0DMCO0/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

for Y-Splitter / 3.5mm adapter, i assume you mean with 2 male and 1 female, you need a female for the amp, right?

Something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Parts-Express-3-5mm-Stereo-Cable/dp/B0002KR1OG/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1393958010&sr=1-1&keywords=rca+male+to+3.5mm+male

Male to male. OR, female RCA to male 3.5mm. Then you can add whatever length RCA (male to male) you want.

Mar 4, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #16,598 of 22,116
  Hello ppl, I was getting a bit irritated with the HE400 due to the usual issues, sibilance, recessed upper mids, harsh / artificial treble sound..... I think I finally cracked it, Making these good all rounders.... Obviously they still excel at some genres and not so great with others but at least I actually enjoy using these with vocals, metal, rock etc. now, they were always good with electronic, OST etc. Here is what I did.....

1) EQ with electri-Q - (Bass boost, slight boost from 600hz down, leave 700-1500 flat as they are raised anyway, about a 3 DB boost from ~1800-6000hz, 2 dips at ~7500hz and ~12500hz) You might have already done that.... But here is the little secret I found to make the treble sound more natural, really helps the "tizz" etc....

2) Using Elelctri-Q (in digital mode) set all the points above 6khz to "warm - peak analog filter" (leaving everything else on "peak-orfandis") this seems to add an analog type effect to the upper treble which gives slightly more decay and smoother / more natural treble, because lets face it the stock treble on these does not sound natural.... But with the EQ and the filters on the treble... Much better, I am actually enjoying metal on these now which before all I used them for was electronic and OST. You still get the clarity from 0-6000hz but the treble sounds smoother / slightly blurred / more decay, no more ear pain or sibilance and a more natural decay on the treble...

Didn't you sell your HE-400 a while back and move on to the HE-4 or something.

Mar 4, 2014 at 1:49 PM Post #16,599 of 22,116

Nicholars - you are tireless in your pursuit of better sound.
biggrin.gif

Easy-Q doesn't have an analog filter but I approximately match your EQ cut/boost ideas. That takes the HE400s to approximately "perfect" to my ears, but I know I'll never be rid of the last bit of ringing or occasional burst of treble. But I still prefer some "bite" to excessive politeness. I think what you might need at this point is a good reference recording (or three), and a real "neutral" reference headphone to do some serious A/Bing with. Personally, I am very interested in the Focal Spirit Pro's and have been thinking about selling some gear to get a pair. They aren't planars, but they seem to be on the cutting edge in terms of what we know about subjective preferences. Plus, they're french. So, I can listen to phones from yet another country. I've always wanted to own something from Focal.

EQ'ing is always an inexact "cure" because at the end of the day, you are filtering the phones AND the recording! And who's to say which is the real culprit?
biggrin.gif

Mar 4, 2014 at 1:49 PM Post #16,600 of 22,116

I gave point 2 a try, and im A/Bing between with and without the warm filter and honestly I'm not hearing a difference. Is it subtle or noticeable for you?

Mar 4, 2014 at 2:09 PM Post #16,602 of 22,116

I gave point 2 a try, and im A/Bing between with and without the warm filter and honestly I'm not hearing a difference. Is it subtle or noticeable for you?

Hmm well it seems different to me, maybe I am imagining it but I don't think so...

"The algorithm ‘Analog’ is based on a real analog circuit and thus it delivers a subtle warmth. Its counterpart is the algorithm ‘Digital’ which delivers a more transparent sound"

"’Electri-Q (posihfopit edition)’ has two different algorithms built in: ’Analog’ and ’Digital’. The ’Analog’ model is based on a transistor circuit, while the ‘Digital’ algorithm delivers a neutral, uncolored sound. The ‘Analog’ algorithm uses about twice as much processing power compared to the ‘Digital’ algorithm."

Its subtle but it is enough to make the treble sound smoother. Gives it a bit more decay it sounds like to me.

Mar 4, 2014 at 2:12 PM Post #16,603 of 22,116
  No I put the HE400 for sale but nobody bought them.

frown.gif
  Tough times for dissatisfied HE-400 owners.  There's so many up for sale on the classifieds and Hifiman just lowered the price of them.  

Mar 4, 2014 at 2:12 PM Post #16,604 of 22,116
Sold mine.. I do miss them.. sometimes I reach for them and they aren't there
frown.gif
. One thing I don't miss is all the EQ'ing.
Think I will go for the 560 this time rather than the 400i, although it depends how the reviews come in.

Mar 4, 2014 at 2:15 PM Post #16,605 of 22,116

frown.gif
  Tough times for dissatisfied HE-400 owners.  There's so many up for sale on the classifieds and Hifiman just lowered the price of them.  

I am not really dissatisfied with them, they are good headphones, just the treble annoys me on them and I would like to try some other headphones. But with EQ and filters it is not so bad. At around £200 I am not sure there is much better than HE400 with EQ but I would like to the the new NAD headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back