Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread
Mar 21, 2013 at 10:26 AM Post #694 of 4,142
I just picked up a barely used HE-4 and I'm really digging the sound. I need more power, so will have to free up some money to get a beefier amp for it. :) The ear cups, while velour, are still very stiff foam compared to my Beyerdynamic DT-990s. Is there any softer foam insert upgrade out there??
thanks
-terry

Mar 23, 2013 at 2:15 AM Post #698 of 4,142
Quote:
oh man, I just swapped my DT990 pads over to the HE-4. soooo nice and comfortable.

Hmm, I have some spare DT990 pads laying around. How did you go about doing this? 

Mar 23, 2013 at 11:20 AM Post #699 of 4,142
Quote:

Hmm, I have some spare DT990 pads laying around. How did you go about doing this? 

I just took off the Hifiman ones, and reused the plastic "hook" type piece of the Hifiman, and mounted the 990 ones on there.  It took all of 10 mins, though it was a bit tricky as the 990s are a TINY BIT smaller, but it actually fits and all went back together fine.  It makes them loads more comfortable for me.  I just ordered another set of beyerdynamic ear pads for my 990s, these are staying on the hifimans....

Mar 23, 2013 at 9:59 PM Post #700 of 4,142
Sweet. I'll try it. The Hifiman velour pads are soo friggin' stiff.

Apr 10, 2013 at 1:26 AM Post #702 of 4,142
After many months of auditioining different amps to drive my HE-4 I have finally decided to get both - EF-5 & LYR to get the best of HE-4, other alternatives might be something from audio-gd dedicated amps (I was thinking about the one from master series - SA, about 10W @ single ended out) or something SS from AMB labs

EF-5 is extremely detailed, speed of transients, amazing clarity overall, piano sounds the best with it, I have never enjoyed piano so much in my whole life and I have heard plenty combinations, just stunned with realism when listening to Lisitsa or Grimaud (I can also recommend Radiotechnique 12au7wa tube for it but new stock fullmusic 12au7 gold pin is great - just better weight with the Radiotechnique and bass but it's not so cheap these days)

EF-5 just runs out of juice on some recordings (volume level) and might be fatiguing due to lots of details and upper midrange (but very important range for piano) - it is determined by the source

Lyr misses too many informations during smoothing out the sound comparing to EF-5 (and forget about super dooper extra expensive tubes which should change the sound totally - it won't happen, Lyr has its own coloration to the sound and you may like it a lot or not, it's just simple like that) but has amazing bass, raw power when you listen to some rock/metal/gothic music, great weight of the sound, liquid and non fatiguing midrange (vocals especially), one of the best soundstage, depth and transparency I have heard (something similar to wooaudio 6 maxxed out and HD600) + never runs out of juice with HE-4, can kick transducers of HE-4 really hard and there is totally no distortion when you go up with the volume (you have to be careful here beacuse HE-4 becomes more and more engaging with more power and one time music was perfectly hearable from my other room in my appartment and there was still no discomfort due to no distortion on Lyr but it must have been very loud actually)

Just my 2c, personal opinion so you might disagree of course but it might be also very helpful for someone who has no possibility to listen to it

Apr 17, 2013 at 6:29 PM Post #703 of 4,142
I'm seriously considering picking up a pair of these, but my Asgard is kind of a ways from powering them well. I want to avoid coloration if possible, but I have no idea what solid state amp would be able to drive these without breaking the bank, though admittedly contradicting my last point, the Lyr was sounded pretty good on the pair of HE-500's I demo'd, so maybe I wouldn't mind it as much.

But otherwise, these have gone pretty under the radar amidst the he-400, he-500, and he-6 craze. I greatly value the opinions so far, but anyone else want to pitch in their comparisons to the big boys against these underrepresented cans? Particularly, as high-end rock/metal headphones. (I know Clemmaster has said his piece 
biggrin.gif
 and thank you!)

In other news, is the Lyr really a bad choice for the HE-6? How could it not be satisfied by a 6 watt amplifier?

Apr 17, 2013 at 7:50 PM Post #705 of 4,142
I have the HE-4 and really dig them.  They have a nice thick midrange and a little thump in the low end. Should make nice rock cans.  The only issue I have with them is that they are kind of heavy and you can't really do the whole head-bobbing thing without them moving or falling off due to their weight.  I changed the stiff velour pads (they really hurt my ears) for some Beyerdynamic velour pads and they are easy to wear the whole day at work. (in a closed office)

I am powering them with Schiit Gungnir/Mjolnir FWIW.  I think the Asgard would power them OK.  I used a Valhalla before and they weren't well matched, I think the Asgard would match them better (though more power down the line wouldn't hurt) :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back