Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread
May 10, 2011 at 3:34 PM Post #451 of 4,142

Quote:
I agree with Happy Camper. Unless you really have a limited budget, HE-500 is a much better option, and will be on sale either by the end of this week or early next week.

Yes, you will pay twice for the HE-500 than HE-4, but saves you a lot of trouble since you will want to upgrade after hear what HE-4 is capable of. :)

i am getting my HE-500 soon, so will let everyone how it goes. This is going to be a great year for head-fiers. :)

just noticed you pretty much exclusively own hifiman gear

May 10, 2011 at 3:42 PM Post #452 of 4,142
Thanks for the info, I don't plan on upgrading my amp for some time so I may hold off on the LCD-2s.  I'll also see if people find better synergy with LCD-2 and Lyr with specific tubes

Quote:
They are different but better, IMO.  The HE-4's are brighter and less lush in the midrange.  The LCD-2's are sooooo right in almost every way...the timbre, tonality, extension are all great.  the one area the HE-4 bests them is in soundstage.

That said, I just posted in the Lyr thread that I prefer the synnergy of the Lyr/HE-4 to that with the LCD-2's...with the caveat that it's only with the stock tubes that I've tried.  The LCD-2's work better with the Woo 6SE and the Red Wine Audio Isadellina HPA.  I've been told that tube rolling can fix this tho.

The LCD-2's are still the best headphone I've heard, but the Lyr/HE-4 combo is excellent. If I was just starting out and had only $900 to spend, the choice of the LCD-2's off my iPod vs HE-4's/Lyr, it would be the latter.  If I had $2000, it'd be the LCD-2's and Woo 6SE.

May 10, 2011 at 3:43 PM Post #453 of 4,142
well...I have Schiit Lyr, Audio-GD NFB-3, and Audio-GD Digital Interface. I am also looking forward to Schiit's upcoming DACs.

I admit that i have fallen in love with HifiMan even since i bought HE-4. it was such an eye-opening experience. A lot of ppl have said that once you have listened to an Ortho, there is no going back to dynamics. I totally agree. I do want to try Stax, but my wallet is not thick enough for that adventure. :)

Right now there are only two companies in the world, HifiMan and LCD, that are making popular and good Orthoes. Personally I just prefer HifiMan's sound signature, and HE-6 is truly something special. 

Quote:

just noticed you pretty much exclusively own hifiman gear

May 10, 2011 at 3:45 PM Post #454 of 4,142

Quote:
well...I have Schiit Lyr, Audio-GD NFB-3, and Audio-GD Digital Interface. I am also looking forward to Schiit's upcoming DACs.

I admit that i have fallen in love with HifiMan even since i bought HE-4. it was such an eye-opening experience. A lot of ppl have said that once you have listened to an Ortho, there is no going back to dynamics. I totally agree. I do want to try Stax, but my wallet is not thick enough for that adventure. :)

Right now there are only two companies in the world, HifiMan and LCD, that are making popular and good Orthoes. Personally I just prefer HifiMan's sound signature, and HE-6 is truly something special. 

i wish i could comment further on this matter. give me a week and hopefully i will understand

May 10, 2011 at 6:52 PM Post #456 of 4,142
I'll agree. I cannot think of a better combo than the HE-4 and EF5. Oh, and by the way, the treble on mine is completely controlled now, and a joy to listen to. I'm not sure I have any complaints, at all. I guess it would be wise of me to upgrade up the HiFiMAN line to the HE-500, rather than jump for the LCD-2, but I'm still deciding on that one. Regardless, these are simply amazing! I could be happy with these, but of course, I would love to inch up the line up and get impressed even more.

May 10, 2011 at 7:00 PM Post #457 of 4,142
Quote:
FWIW, I have both the HE-4 and the HE-500 in my possession right now...and amps to drive them well. 

I will tell you that I reach for the HE-4's before I reach for the HE-500's.  The HE-4's when powered by the Schiit Lyr are tremendous.  The slighty forward mids and thicker treble of the Lyr play well to the recessed mids and slight brightness of the HE-4's and the bass slam is palpable.

For $900 I still reach for the LCD-2's, which are still slightly more efficient than the HE-500's. 

FWIW, you can get the HE-4's AND a Lyr for the exact same $900 as you can the HE-500's alone.  Just sayin'

Let's see. I have the HE-4, and looking to upgrade to the HE-500 or LCD-2. I think you are going to be my main source!
tongue.gif

Man, I'm hearing lots of good stuff about the Lyr. I'm wondering if it does better with the HE-4 and HE-500 than the EF5 would. How does the Lyr do with the LCD-2? But man, you mentioning you reaching for the HE-4 over the HE-500 with the Lyr intrigues me. Maybe I should try I should get that first, and then possibly upgrade to the LCD-2 later. I'm not sure. But I will admit, it's going to be a touch choice between HE-500 and LCD-2 with EF5 or Lyr.

May 10, 2011 at 7:07 PM Post #458 of 4,142

Quote:
I'll agree. I cannot think of a better combo than the HE-4 and EF5. Oh, and by the way, the treble on mine is completely controlled now, and a joy to listen to. I'm not sure I have any complaints, at all. I guess it would be wise of me to upgrade up the HiFiMAN line to the HE-500, rather than jump for the LCD-2, but I'm still deciding on that one. Regardless, these are simply amazing! I could be happy with these, but of course, I would love to inch up the line up and get impressed even more.

you literally just got your HE4s...might as well enjoy them for at least a while

May 11, 2011 at 1:09 AM Post #460 of 4,142
I heard the LCD-2 and HE-6 side by side, even the HE-6 under amped sounded better then the LCD-2... To my ears anyway. I like sparkle and the LCD-2 sounded dark in comparison with over done bass.. It was tight! But to much impact for my liking. I have not heard the HE500 so i cannot comment, but i totally dig Fangs products. Hence why im jumping at the HE500.

Quote:

May 11, 2011 at 9:25 AM Post #461 of 4,142
That's why they make Vanilla and Chocolate...tastes vary. You think the LCD''s are dark, i think the HE's are bright...Nothing wrong with that, just personal preference. I found what I perceived to be hardness in the treble in the HE-500's to be fatiguing, but that very 'sparkle' may be exactly what you're looking for. They are absolutely easier tol drive than that HE-6's.

Enjoy them.

May 11, 2011 at 9:34 AM Post #462 of 4,142

Quote:
That's why they make Vanilla and Chocolate...tastes vary. You think the LCD''s are dark, i think the HE's are bright...Nothing wrong with that, just personal preference. I found what I perceived to be hardness in the treble in the HE-500's to be fatiguing, but that very 'sparkle' may be exactly what you're looking for. They are absolutely easier tol drive than that HE-6's.

Enjoy them.

Couldn't have said this better. I wouldn't say the LCDs are dark but I did find the HE's relatively bright.

May 11, 2011 at 3:23 PM Post #463 of 4,142
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/549413/hifiman-introduces-new-he-500-planar-magnetic-headphones/105#post_7464705

My detailed impressions of the HE-4 vs. the HE-500.

May 11, 2011 at 7:56 PM Post #464 of 4,142

Quote:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/549413/hifiman-introduces-new-he-500-planar-magnetic-headphones/105#post_7464705

My detailed impressions of the HE-4 vs. the HE-500.

thanks...pretty good summary. it would be interesting to see them compared after a considerable burn in period

Users who are viewing this thread

Back