Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread
Dec 25, 2010 at 5:27 PM Post #92 of 4,142
Can't wait to hear your impressions as this may tempt me enough to be my next purchase.

Quote:
They have arrived.

Impressions and more pics in a bit.
Now its time to entertain guests.

Merry Christmas Everyone!

Dec 27, 2010 at 3:32 AM Post #94 of 4,142

Quote:
Quote:
This is a bit confusing. Are they as good as the HE-6? I'd sure like to save $500 and put it in a DAC.

Since the HE-6 are significantly better than the HE-5LE, I sincerely doubt the HE-4 will be as good as even the HE-5LE, much less the HE-6. 

I also doubt the HE-4 are as good as the higher level models.  But I want to throw in my 2 cents worth that I think the HE-5 LE sound great and almost as good as the HE-6, especially if the HE-6 are under-amped with a normal headphone amp that can drive the HE-5 LE more easily (or if the HE-5 LE are re-cabled).  A well-driven HE-6 is "noticeably" better in extension, transparency and openness, but I don't know if I would use the description "significantly better".

Dec 27, 2010 at 9:24 AM Post #95 of 4,142

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
This is a bit confusing. Are they as good as the HE-6? I'd sure like to save $500 and put it in a DAC.

Since the HE-6 are significantly better than the HE-5LE, I sincerely doubt the HE-4 will be as good as even the HE-5LE, much less the HE-6. 

I also doubt the HE-4 are as good as the higher level models.  But I want to throw in my 2 cents worth that I think the HE-5 LE sound great and almost as good as the HE-6, especially if the HE-6 are under-amped with a normal headphone amp that can drive the HE-5 LE more easily (or if the HE-5 LE are re-cabled).  A well-driven HE-6 is "noticeably" better in extension, transparency and openness, but I don't know if I would use the description "significantly better".

I certainly agree that the HE-5LE are excellent.  But I did find the HE-6 to be significantly better, although this does require them to be properly amped, as you said.  But one mans "noticeably" can be another's "significantly"
biggrin.gif

Dec 27, 2010 at 4:15 PM Post #96 of 4,142

First Impressions:

Build Quality / Packaging:
The HE-4’s are built very well. They have a plastic housing, leather and metal headband and a glossy dark grey metallic finish. Everything fells solid with no plastic creaking or shaky joints. The only issue I have had so far with the build would be the headphone adjustment. Its a little too stiff and not a very smooth movement and, if you look closely, there is what looks like bit of hot glue seeping out of the headband joints. This isn’t really a problem at all, just me nitpicking. Once its set up at the right height it stays put with no need for later adjustment.

Whats included in the box:
-Spare earpad
-Spare plugs for DIY cable
-Sleeved 10 ft. single ended cable with a honker of a 6.5mm plug
-Portable 5 ft. cable with a 4 pole balanced 3.5mm plug. Unfortunately there is no   adapter included so unless you already have one (as i do) this cable will be unusable.

Sound:
Currently I am running these out of a J. Sound Lab Headphone amp. Whether or not I am giving them enough power i do not know. I can say that I get full volume with the amps volume at the 12 o’clock position but this may not mean anything. 

The sound right off the bat is extremely transparent, deep, clean and natural. It makes me aware of all of the micro details and nuances that i have been missing.
The soundstage, coming from the K702’s, was going to have to be fantastic for me and it is. Its not a as wide as the 702’s but it is far more natural easy to listen to. Definitely a step up.   

Bass: Oh My the bass is good. Its extremely crisp, has a great amount of slam and has an extension that hits the floor. That about all i can say...its just really good. 

Mids: Currently the mids seem a little recessed to me, particularly vocals. I’m not sure whether this is the headphones, my amping situation, or possibly my ears have yet to adjust from my K702’s. I feel that it is the my amp’s sound signature or power output that is the culprit. But, getting past this, the mids sound very clean, natural and not over resonant (something i hate on some other headphones). 

Highs: Like the bass the highs are super duper (yes, I just said ‘super duper) good. They cut through the strong bass like butter but at the same time retain a delicacy and crispness that is a first for me. In addition, they have fantastic extension and accuracy without being bright or shrill. 

All in all they sound fantastic. They have made me a happy camper. Hopefully the mids will improve with a new amp i intend on purchasing but even as they are now I am still happy. 
And of couse these are early impressions. I will update anything that changes im my opinion as i get more eartime and as the headphones burn in.

Some pictures. Full album HERE

P1030254.jpg

P1030282.jpg

P1030289.jpg

Dec 27, 2010 at 4:48 PM Post #97 of 4,142
No magnets on the ear-side. That's a very interesting design. I suppose it might perhaps affect the sound to have no magnet to interfere with the air flow from the driver. Great pictures and impressions by the way!!
(Also a nice view on that serpentine trace!)

Dec 27, 2010 at 5:06 PM Post #98 of 4,142
Thanks so much for your impressions and photos Farnsworth. The impressions will have more weight after some more hours of use though :wink:

thanks!

Dec 27, 2010 at 6:13 PM Post #99 of 4,142
No magnets on the ear side? Then this isn't actually an orthodynamic?

EDIT: Sorry forget to say - thanks for the impressions and pictures! Great write up. Did you ever hear it's big brother the HE-5LE? Interested to know how they compare?

Dec 27, 2010 at 7:03 PM Post #100 of 4,142
Thanks very much for these impressions. It's good to know that the only relatively affordable ortho on the market is actually worth it. I also like the pictures - very professional looking. Perhaps you should be looking into a Schiit Lyr to drive your brand new orthos...
tongue.gif

Dec 27, 2010 at 7:18 PM Post #102 of 4,142

Quote:
No magnets on the ear-side. That's a very interesting design. I suppose it might perhaps affect the sound to have no magnet to interfere with the air flow from the driver.

Yea, that surprised me too. I guess when they said it had a 50% smaller magnet than the HE-5LE they meant they just removed the front magnet from the HE-5LE

Quote:
... Did you ever hear it's big brother the HE-5LE? Interested to know how they compare?

Nope this is my first ortho. I fear i might be hooked.

Quote:
Perhaps you should be looking into a Schiit Lyr to drive your brand new orthos...
tongue.gif

Just saw that, looks like a great match for orthos.
Its definitely on my list.

Dec 27, 2010 at 11:14 PM Post #105 of 4,142
I was looking to purchase my first real set of good headphones. After looking primarily at the Beyerdynamic DT880's and Sennheiser 650, I came across this thread. The HE-4's look to be a great value with the sound you get. The HE-4 + EF5 Amp combo head-direct.com seems like a great deal for a starting setup, and I think I'm going to take the plunge.

However, does anyone have any idea how long it would take to ship? I looked around the Head-Direct site and there is no information about shipping speed (to US, Oregon), and as I am leaving to go back to school next week, I need to know how long it would take to ship (if there isn't a way to pay for faster shipping) to make sure I'm going to be in the right place when the headphones are delivered.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back