Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread
Dec 6, 2010 at 8:52 AM Post #46 of 4,142
How did I miss this?  Awesome.  Hoping to check out the HE series of headphones early next year after my finances recover.

Dec 6, 2010 at 10:08 AM Post #47 of 4,142

Quote:
Not at all. HE-4 is only 1db less sensitive than HE-5, and EF5 and most HE-5LE amps can drive HE-4 very well. Jude has a pair HE-4 review sample in hand. Pls PM him and ask.

Quote:

so...  it's probably twice as hard to drive...

Hi Fang, could these be driven by a speaker amp as well, say 45W into 8ohms?
thanks for any info

Dec 12, 2010 at 7:15 AM Post #49 of 4,142
OK, Im anticipating these for christmas so i will post some impressions on the HE-4's on or after christmas.
but hopefully someone will post some thoughts before then.

Dec 12, 2010 at 7:24 AM Post #50 of 4,142

Quote:
OK, Im anticipating these for christmas so i will post some impressions on the HE-4's on or after christmas.
but hopefully someone will post some thoughts before then.

Great news Farnsworth. There is a big chance I will get them myself so I'm anxiously awaiting your impressions

Dec 13, 2010 at 3:41 PM Post #52 of 4,142
Went to look at the Head-Direct site today to look at the pricing for the HE-6, scrolled down a little bit and... wait, what? An affordable ortho from Head-Direct, priced to compete with the likes of the HD 650 and K701? I must find impressions and reviews!

...then I come here, and disappointment. You've failed me, Head-Fi.

But yeah, I'd hope to see some impressions soon.
tongue_smile.gif

Dec 13, 2010 at 4:32 PM Post #53 of 4,142
Yeah Head-Direct hasn't seemed to do much of anything to get any notice out there for this headphone. If it never takes off we'll know why.

Dec 13, 2010 at 10:08 PM Post #54 of 4,142
Let's play with the assumptions....

two possibilities:

1. HE4 is not that good... so that HifiMan is a bit hesitant to release it, but since they see the empty price bracket for this opportunity then they take a chance to release it... I doubt this is the reason
    wink.gif
  2. HE4 is too good or very good enough (he, he, he... what kind of gramar syntax here), so that HifiMan is actually reluctant to push it... in affraid of that people find that the difference of HE4 to their higher ortho is not that much and at the end hurting the sales of their higher orthos... but then they don't want this price bracket left empty... because if they don't, somebody else will do.. (who knows... some venture on selling modified Fostex T50RP that could make it as a killer $300-400 ortho..?)

Dec 13, 2010 at 10:33 PM Post #55 of 4,142
How close are we to Impressions, this headphone has definitely appeared as prominent on my list of possible purchases with Christmas money, yet I have heard nothing.

Also, apart from the EF5, what other amps would be effective in driving these?

Dec 14, 2010 at 8:48 AM Post #56 of 4,142

Quote:
Let's play with the assumptions....

two possibilities:

1. HE4 is not that good... so that HifiMan is a bit hesitant to release it, but since they see the empty price bracket for this opportunity then they take a chance to release it... I doubt this is the reason
    wink.gif
  2. HE4 is too good or very good enough (he, he, he... what kind of gramar syntax here), so that HifiMan is actually reluctant to push it... in affraid of that people find that the difference of HE4 to their higher ortho is not that much and at the end hurting the sales of their higher orthos... but then they don't want this price bracket left empty... because if they don't, somebody else will do.. (who knows... some venture on selling modified Fostex T50RP that could make it as a killer $300-400 ortho..?)

Maybe, maybe not.It could be that he's a better innovator than he is a business man. Nobody put a gun to Fangs head and told him to release the HE-4. If he wasn't ready, or didnt want to release the HE-4, he wouldnt. Either he knows exactly what he's doing or he doesnt.

Dec 14, 2010 at 10:24 AM Post #59 of 4,142

That is because the moded T50RP is made in US... :), with the US wage added as the add value....

Quote:
Modified (woodied) T50RP currently costs a bit more. 

Could you imagine if the moded done in volume in China? or at least the earcup/housing prepared/engineered in China (see the woodied earcup/housing from this article http://www.headfonia.com/esmooth-wood-headphones/ ) with the T50RP driver later moved to the new housing? 

we never know how much the price point could be...

Dec 14, 2010 at 10:33 AM Post #60 of 4,142
^^...yeah, except they do that and then quality plummets and you end up losing a good product. 

Glad Fostex is a Japanese company..the chances of production moving to China are that much rarer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back