Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread
Mar 6, 2017 at 8:44 AM Post #3,946 of 4,142
What should someone look for when buying these phones? Have there been multiple revisions or are there specific things to check for like weak points or anything? They would be used, of course.

Thanks, I'm hoping to join the family soon!

Mar 6, 2017 at 11:41 AM Post #3,947 of 4,142
There were different revisions, some with somewhat yellow drivers. As well as I can remember, there wasn't a big difference sonically. We had a discussion about this a few years back. I'll have to try and find it for you. Anyhow, glad to see someone joining in. I honestly thought about selling mine just to try something new, but, no, no I will not do that. I can make up the 300 bucks, it'll get much harder to find he4s as days go by.

Mar 10, 2017 at 11:27 PM Post #3,948 of 4,142
So, I've spent the last bit of my very small amount of spare time, running the he4 purely out of the ifi micro black label. Well, fed by a Fiio x3i but that's just used as a transport, so it shouldn't have any influence on the sound. I really have to say, if anyone just wants an easy solution for a planar like the he4, or perhaps others, this thing is magical. It portrays music very naturally, I don't sense a tilt in either direction what so ever. It's not warm, it's not sterile, it's just, well neutral. Very open sound, great staging, almost holographic if I could choose a word. Now, it doesn't give the bass the power a beefier amp will give the he4, buts it's extremely well controlled, as well as the top end. To me it seems to tame the highs, maybe that's just the dac doing its job compared to the inferior dac in the x3 I had gotten used to. It's been a long time since I had my balanced audio gd 10se, but, I like the ifi better as a system than the audio gd. It also serves well as a dac to my sx1010, which really blends with the he4 perfect. I have yet to get a few nights to try it as a pre amp to the 1010, but I suspect it would actually work better in that configuration. The 1st night I used the ifi with the he4, I was sort of amazed, but wanted to give it a solid 5 or more listens, different days/different moods, early morning/late night, before I really made a decision on its worthiness as a solo dac/amp for the he4. Well I can say, for 400 on sale on and off, it's a no Brainer, even at 500-550 it's definitely worth it to me. Especially since it's a damn Swiss army knife as far as options go, I won't get into that portion though. Any who, I'm tempted to send this over to soundsgoodtome to evaluate with myou he4, he's got a better way of portraying sonic qualities. Me, well I'm not a poet, nor really inclined to write a well thought out review. I can only hope anyone stepping into the older ortho range finds there way to this ifi, I highly recommend it, even as a stand alone "transportable" dac.
Here's a picture from me on a break from work today. I get to see alot of beautiful places at work, I work in the really rural areas of southern/south western oregon. I'll shut up now.

Mar 14, 2017 at 7:44 AM Post #3,949 of 4,142
Spring temperatures have started and I took out the original 3m cable so I could listen on the balcony. After 8 years I still enjoy these like on the day I got them. Sounds great on anything that has at least decent amount of amperage so I brought an old NAD amp from the basement and Audio gd Dac19 connected to Airport express and navigating from iPad. Happy camper :)

Mar 14, 2017 at 1:15 PM Post #3,950 of 4,142
Spring temperatures have started and I took out the original 3m cable so I could listen on the balcony. After 8 years I still enjoy these like on the day I got them. Sounds great on anything that has at least decent amount of amperage so I brought an old NAD amp from the basement and Audio gd Dac19 connected to Airport express and navigating from iPad. Happy camper :)

I now get to listen to them at work on breaks thanks to the ifi micro black label, it makes my day a whole lot more enjoyable, good to see other folks still enjoying them as well

Mar 22, 2017 at 12:13 AM Post #3,951 of 4,142
I've spent a while now using the ifi micro black label as a preamp to my sx1010, and can definitively say, this is the best I've ever heard my he4. Complete black background, insane instrument seperation, a very open but intimate sound. Just incredible. Right now I'm listening to, how to destroy angels- ice age. A song I've heard, I don't know how many times over the last few years. It's one of those songs that's so well recorded, and on the slower side, will sound good on anything. But, I've never heard it thus good. Granted, I never got a chance to run the sx1010 with the audio gd 10se as a dac, perhaps that'd be better, I don't know, but I also don't care. The ifi drives the he4 well enough on its own, it's seriously an amazing piece of gear. A capable dac, powerful hp amp, iem matching to get rid of hiss on sensitive iems, a pre amp, coax in, spdof in, actual rca out, USB in, USB to charge your device, all in a very small footprint for what it is. Absolutely a keeper in my rig.

Mar 25, 2017 at 12:24 AM Post #3,952 of 4,142
I've spent a while now using the ifi micro black label as a preamp to my sx1010, and can definitively say, this is the best I've ever heard my he4. Complete black background, insane instrument seperation, a very open but intimate sound. Just incredible. Right now I'm listening to, how to destroy angels- ice age. A song I've heard, I don't know how many times over the last few years. It's one of those songs that's so well recorded, and on the slower side, will sound good on anything. But, I've never heard it thus good. Granted, I never got a chance to run the sx1010 with the audio gd 10se as a dac, perhaps that'd be better, I don't know, but I also don't care. The ifi drives the he4 well enough on its own, it's seriously an amazing piece of gear. A capable dac, powerful hp amp, iem matching to get rid of hiss on sensitive iems, a pre amp, coax in, spdof in, actual rca out, USB in, USB to charge your device, all in a very small footprint for what it is. Absolutely a keeper in my rig.

Glad you finally used the RCA-pre-outs on the idsd micro black label on your SX1010 and HE-4. Spend some more time with this stack (or chain, whatever) and let us know about how individual songs sound then-and-now.

Apr 2, 2017 at 12:05 AM Post #3,953 of 4,142
I believe and still encourage you guys to switch over to Balanced Amp/Dacs, I've been using them with my HE 4 since I got it and I've always been 100% floored with it's performances! the HE 4 fed balanced was better than both HE Xs I had a chance to try, maybe the second revision of those will be better but ultimately I think you'd all enjoy a nice balanced amp :D 

still SE gear when made well does good too ^^ 

Still though, I say this almost every 4 months, but these headphones are STILL the best sounding pair I have! AN they've been through some hell over the years I've had them. Big up to Classic HiFi man! When their headphones were built JUST as well as they sounded 

Apr 22, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #3,955 of 4,142
  http://www.ebay.com/itm/HIFIMAN-HE4-Headphones-/222482387416?hash=item33ccfbd1d8:g:w~oAAOSw5UZY-O6H

Auction for these. Is it a good price?

They're  on the pricey side but he seems to have taken well care of them as well as kept everything from new. I wouldn't go past $400 on those with shipping, you can argue the HE4 might have its strengths over the HE560 but you can get an HE560 for around $450-$500 now.

Apr 22, 2017 at 3:16 PM Post #3,956 of 4,142
I think 350 is fair f9r an he4. They're rare but not heavily desired. I'll never sell mine but that's just me. They still pop up from time to time here on headfi

Apr 30, 2017 at 12:06 AM Post #3,957 of 4,142
I think 350 is fair f9r an he4. They're rare but not heavily desired. I'll never sell mine but that's just me. They still pop up from time to time here on headfi

I'm jelly, I Paid $440 for mine, but they had a 4pin XLR balanced cable and "new ear pads" and a "new head band"

Either way, they were totally worth the price

Apr 30, 2017 at 12:11 AM Post #3,958 of 4,142
Pretty sure when I bought mine brand new they were 350, and that was the last batch of new ones they sold, I got lucky.

Apr 30, 2017 at 12:20 AM Post #3,959 of 4,142
Pretty sure when I bought mine brand new they were 350, and that was the last batch of new ones they sold, I got lucky.

seriously, I think the price went up right after we learned they stopped making them all together

May 2, 2017 at 12:13 AM Post #3,960 of 4,142
So, do you guys really think I should bother having wood cups made for my he4? I have black limba closed cups, that I'm putting in a hifiman frame I bought a long time ago, so my father in law already has the shape down. I would need to use a "harder" wood like cocobolo and try to soak in wood hardener and multiple coats of laquer to try and prevent cracks. Reason I'm asking, is I think he wants to start making headphone cups as a side "job". He is retired, and he's not fast, but he does good work. I'll post the t50 cups when he is finished. I just don't know if it's worth the hassle on the he4? It's a good looking hp. Has a unique color/finish. What do you guys think? And how much do you think I should pay him if he makes them? Is it worth like 250 in cocobolo? I know Martin made some super expensive ones, and they looked insane, I don't expect museum quality out of my in law. He doesn't have the time for that. Anyhow, I always wanted to do it but just not sure anymore if it's even a worthwhile investment. Also, ifi micro black label as USB dac, to sx1010, rocking pineapple thief, good Lord I love these headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back