Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread
Dec 17, 2014 at 5:25 PM Post #3,286 of 4,142
  Alright guys, I've been talking about this a bit with Soundsgoodtome, but I was hoping maybe some others in here could give me their thoughts.  

As you might know, I've recently fallen in love with the HD650.  It's got those legendary mids and a magical ability to make even bad recordings sound good (while stil having the chops to sound great on great recordings).  I had no problems deciding to get rid of the HD700 but the HD650 has wormed it way into my heart.  I also prefer it in most cases to my HE-4, simply because it's just easier to listen to.

The thing is, I still love the bass and liveliness of the HE-4.  Oh man the bass!  But I hate the idea of having two main headphones.  I'm looking for one headphone that will be the best of both worlds... the planar bass and lively highs of the HE-4, with the chill-inducing mids and laid-back style of the HD650.

The LCD-2 was the first one that I've heard suggested.  They're kind of pricey (some say overpriced) and they have multiple revisions that make it hard to talk to people about it.  The OPPO PM-1/2 were suggested but I don't think they're going to give me what I want.  I'm sure there are HiFiMan cans that might fit, perhaps the HE-400i?  I don't know, I haven't heard of any HiFiMan with crazy mids.  Thoughts anyone?

Well as I've posted before, the HE-500 didn't do it for me and I was basically in the same situation as you (though I wanted tamed highs). The HE-500 had much more relaxed mids (sometimes even boring for some music) and nothing else it did stood out for me over the HE-4. This is the reason why I am keeping the HE-4 and will eventually just begin tube rolling my MKVI+. Hopefully that will give me what I want. But as for LCD-2; they are completely different to the HE-4. Loads less treble, less air, but much more and better bass from memory (or at least the lack of highs made it sound this way). The LCD-2 sound full of life compared to the dull (in comparison) HE-4 to my ears. With some EQ'ing, however, I'd say the HE-4 can sometimes outshine the LCD-2 due to its airiness, soundstage capabilities and treble. 

Perhaps the LCD-2 spoiled me, but the HE-4 seem to have a neutral level of bass (dB) to my ears and my DT770 600ohm are very bass light (remind me of DT880 600ohm). Also, the LCD-2 are very heavy in comparison to the HE-4 (so are the HE-500 for that matter), so make sure that doesn't bother you. For me, the LCD-2's weight flattened my hair where the headband sat and it would stay like this constantly and it was as if my hair was actually thinning, so I sold the LCD-2. 

Dec 17, 2014 at 5:34 PM Post #3,287 of 4,142

Well as I've posted before, the HE-500 didn't do it for me and I was basically in the same situation as you (though I wanted tamed highs). The HE-500 had much more relaxed mids (sometimes even boring for some music) and nothing else it did stood out for me over the HE-4. This is the reason why I am keeping the HE-4 and will eventually just begin tube rolling my MKVI+. Hopefully that will give me what I want. But as for LCD-2; they are completely different to the HE-4. Loads less treble, less air, but much more and better bass from memory (or at least the lack of highs made it sound this way). The LCD-2 sound full of life compared to the dull (in comparison) HE-4 to my ears. With some EQ'ing, however, I'd say the HE-4 can sometimes outshine the LCD-2 due to its airiness, soundstage capabilities and treble. 

Perhaps the LCD-2 spoiled me, but the HE-4 seem to have a neutral level of bass (dB) to my ears and my DT770 600ohm are very bass light (remind me of DT880 600ohm). Also, the LCD-2 are very heavy in comparison to the HE-4 (so are the HE-500 for that matter), so make sure that doesn't bother you. For me, the LCD-2's weight flattened my hair where the headband sat and it would stay like this constantly and it was as if my hair was actually thinning, so I sold the LCD-2. 

Thanks, this is helpful.  While I find the HE-4 to be "lively", I do find the treble to be too hot.  They're also very analytical, which is good sometimes but not others.  The HD650 is much less airy, more close, less analytical, but they're very easy on the ears and the mids are just... way better.  

I think I'm prepared for the less airy sound of the LCD-2 since I'm really favoring the HD650 these days.  I just want a little more in the treble department and I'd love that planar bass back.  I think it's interesting that you call the LCD-2 "full of life" and the HE-4 "dull".  I wonder if that's the analytical side of the HE-4 coming out.

I think, from what everyone's been saying, the LCD-2 is definitely more towards the HD650's sound than the HE-4's.  I wonder if it's enough like the HE-4 to really feel like a worthwhile improvement over the HD650.  

Dec 17, 2014 at 6:17 PM Post #3,288 of 4,142
If you get the LCD2 and a geek sabre dac or similar bright dac, there is a good amount of treble to not make it sound dark. I heard a rig with a triad tube amp, geek out 1000, and LCD2. It didn't sound dark at all but then it didn't sound great either, it seems adding treble lessens the sense of great bass? The LCD2 probably aren't meant to be with treble even if you can get a chain that makes it sound

Dec 17, 2014 at 6:39 PM Post #3,289 of 4,142
  If you get the LCD2 and a geek sabre dac or similar bright dac, there is a good amount of treble to not make it sound dark. I heard a rig with a triad tube amp, geek out 1000, and LCD2. It didn't sound dark at all but then it didn't sound great either, it seems adding treble lessens the sense of great bass? The LCD2 probably aren't meant to be with treble even if you can get a chain that makes it sound

Well I've still got the Ember, and I hear the LCD-2 sounds good with the Lyr, so maybe tube rolling will help.

Dec 17, 2014 at 11:59 PM Post #3,290 of 4,142
I just want to hear an he6. If that I don't prefer over he4, than I'm done until I can afford a stax setup. Man I really need to go to a meet

Dec 19, 2014 at 12:09 PM Post #3,292 of 4,142
They can drive it fine. The Magni is kinda bright though, and the HE-4 is already really bright. I don't know if it would be the best combination. I am buying myself a Lyr 2 for Christmas and I am interested to see how it performs.

Dec 19, 2014 at 12:24 PM Post #3,293 of 4,142
  They can drive it fine. The Magni is kinda bright though, and the HE-4 is already really bright. I don't know if it would be the best combination. I am buying myself a Lyr 2 for Christmas and I am interested to see how it performs.

Oh well. Thanks anyway! Its just that i want something somewhat cheap that can drive this. I guess i will buy he500

Dec 19, 2014 at 12:51 PM Post #3,294 of 4,142
  Oh well. Thanks anyway! Its just that i want something somewhat cheap that can drive this. I guess i will buy he500

Audio-GD NFB-15 is cheaper than the new uber schiit stack and runs them just fine.

Dec 19, 2014 at 1:11 PM Post #3,295 of 4,142

Audio-GD NFB-15 is cheaper than the new uber schiit stack and runs them just fine.

Doesit include a dac? The sound signature im looking for is overall neutral. Not too smooth, not too agressive (if it has to be one of this 2, then i prefer agressive) open, preferably natural. I want it to have a really good soundstage. It needs to be good for almost every genre, and i want it to be between fun and really sophisticated/refined. Im also interested in planar technology. I can only buy from amazon, so im not sure if i should get the older models anyway (HE-500 and HE-4), since ive heard they have bad cables and earpads, while the he400i have the focuspads and good cable already on them

Dec 19, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #3,296 of 4,142
  Doesit include a dac? The sound signature im looking for is overall neutral. Not too smooth, not too agressive (if it has to be one of this 2, then i prefer agressive) open, preferably natural. I want it to have a really good soundstage. It needs to be good for almost every genre, and i want it to be between fun and really sophisticated/refined. Im also interested in planar technology. I can only buy from amazon, so im not sure if i should get the older models anyway (HE-500 and HE-4), since ive heard they have bad cables and earpads, while the he400i have the focuspads and good cable already on them

Yes, it's a DAC and Amp in one.  The NFB-15 has got a dual Wolfson DAC, making it on the warm/smooth side.  This pairs well with the HE-4 which is pretty bright/aggressive.  If you want the DAC to be more neutral, the NFB-11 uses the sabre DAC and it's supposed to be very clean/neutral.

As to the rest of your post, I can't really help, sorry.

Dec 19, 2014 at 1:22 PM Post #3,297 of 4,142
  Yes, it's a DAC and Amp in one.  The NFB-15 has got a dual Wolfson DAC, making it on the warm/smooth side.  This pairs well with the HE-4 which is pretty bright/aggressive.  If you want the DAC to be more neutral, the NFB-11 uses the sabre DAC and it's supposed to be very clean/neutral.

As to the rest of your post, I can't really help, sorry.

thanks for the help, but i can´t buy from anywhere that isn´t amazon. International shipping in my country is hell 

Dec 19, 2014 at 4:02 PM Post #3,298 of 4,142
About bad earpads abd cable comment. He4 cable is much better than he400 and some other hifimans. Earpads can be changed to hm5, shure 1540 alcantaras, alpha pads(don't like to much but comfy), and several others. Also, another vote for audio gd Wolfson balanced amps. 10se is great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back