Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread
Nov 8, 2014 at 12:24 PM Post #3,136 of 4,142
Can't go wrong with an ortho, imo the clarity/speed to be had is on another level compared to dynamics.

Now it's a bit in context rather than, glad I didn't get so and so.

well if i waited more i wouldn't be able to get brand new since they are being replaced

Nov 8, 2014 at 1:06 PM Post #3,137 of 4,142
  so i bought in the end the he-500(over he-4\hd600), and i'm glad i did it.

HE-500 can benefit from a powerful amp (like my current SA-31SE) but definitely not required.

I honestly don't know what else to try now... HE-500 are just brilliant when modded. Maybe Code-X could work for me but it's impossible to find one and very expensive too.

Btw, my girlfriend is still sad that I sold the HE-4... Yeah, it was a great headphone.

Nov 8, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #3,138 of 4,142
It really surprises me how little popularity the he-4 has. I know the main complaint is the treble but I don't find it overly bright or harsh with any of my music. I had it side by side with a rev1 lcd-2 and the he-4 isn't that much brighter and it can certainly keep up and in some ways is better than the LCD2. They do compliment each other very well depending on my mood.

Nov 8, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #3,139 of 4,142
It really surprises me how little popularity the he-4 has. I know the main complaint is the treble but I don't find it overly bright or harsh with any of my music. I had it side by side with a rev1 lcd-2 and the he-4 isn't that much brighter and it can certainly keep up and in some ways is better than the LCD2. They do compliment each other very well depending on my mood.

I actually prefer HE-4 over both LCD-2 rev1 and rev2... But I agree that both complement each other very well.

Nov 8, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #3,140 of 4,142
I still miss my LCD-2 rev 2.2 but they had to go. I needed the money and they were too heavy. I felt they were physically light, but they compressed my hair so badly it would stay compressed for an entire day even when not using them for said day. They also made my scalp turn red right where the headband lay. Sure, there was probably some way around this, but I still think they lacked some upper treble, especially compared to HE-4 and that's where I notice a lot of details. I think I will have to eventually give in and listen to the HE-500 one day but not until I know I can afford them 
tongue.gif

Nov 8, 2014 at 11:38 PM Post #3,141 of 4,142
  well he-4 was not an option since most of my music is low-fi.
from what i remember i did liked the 600 but i really don't like all the bs senn are doing with the market.
anyway with the he500 guitars and vocals feels and sounds so much more realistic then hd600, you can actually pick up alot more detail too.
and that's with unamped he-500.

DING DING DING, I have the HD 600 with my now... and MY GAWD that headphone + the Schiit vali makes Low fi sound GREAT, the   HE-4 how ever destroys low fi music <.< [as it should though] 

I actually prefer HE-4 over both LCD-2 rev1 and rev2... But I agree that both complement each other very well.

Well I had the LCD 2F and I felt the HE 4 was more balanced around, an faster 
  I still miss my LCD-2 rev 2.2 but they had to go. I needed the money and they were too heavy. I felt they were physically light, but they compressed my hair so badly it would stay compressed for an entire day even when not using them for said day. They also made my scalp turn red right where the headband lay. Sure, there was probably some way around this, but I still think they lacked some upper treble, especially compared to HE-4 and that's where I notice a lot of details. I think I will have to eventually give in and listen to the HE-500 one day but not until I know I can afford them 
tongue.gif

YAY, I actually compared the LCD 2F to my HE 4 and while the LCD 2F actually had better detail  presentation, I felt in the end it was too weird in the mids and not aggressive enough. 

Nov 9, 2014 at 2:02 AM Post #3,142 of 4,142
Oh gawd, just pick the HE 4 back on my head after 3 days of HD 600 [that's like 22 hours of HD 600 X Vali listening]

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I've missed you HE 4 [and btw guys I've leveled matched the two headphones before the switch tonight!]

I'll post a full comparison of the two here and on the HD 600 thread :D 

muhahaha 

Nov 10, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #3,143 of 4,142
Hey guys, I'm back after an extended break from Head-fi to save my wallet.  With Black Friday and holiday sales coming up, I'm trying to plan out my next big purchase and I really want to try a tube amp with the HE-4.  What are some of the suggested pairings?  I know Project Ember and Schiit Lyr are both well-regarded pairings.  Anything else?  Maybe something with a chance in hell of going on sale?  lol

Nov 10, 2014 at 7:07 PM Post #3,144 of 4,142
Maybe a lyr2? I know you're not a fan of schiit but they may go on sale... and it might sound more tube than the ember. Wait the lyr2 is a hybrid too? Ok maybe not.

Its gonna be tough getting something on the budget to beat out the audio-gd... ember or lyr2. You'll want at least 2wpc or close to (I think the ember is 1.8wpc at 32ohm)

Nov 10, 2014 at 7:12 PM Post #3,145 of 4,142
Is Project Ember really the only non-hybrid tube amp in the price range with the power to drive the HE-4?  Interesting.  What's the next step up, price-wise?  Lyr is hybrid, as you mentioned.  Are we getting into the $1k territory?  Woo Audio type stuff?

Nov 10, 2014 at 7:24 PM Post #3,146 of 4,142
Theres not a lot of guys running the he4 because its just the way it is. You can pop into the he560 thread and see what people are using beyond the lyr2 and ember, something that has the power to drive the he4 and pairs well with the 560 (in terms of sound) will usually match well with the HE4. The he4 is harder to drive than the 560 though, I know that from driving them both out of the ember and seeing where the volume pot is. So of the amp is borderline able to drive the 560 it won't drive the he4 well.

Nov 10, 2014 at 7:29 PM Post #3,147 of 4,142
Theres not a lot of guys running the he4 because its just the way it is. You can pop into the he560 thread and see what people are using beyond the lyr2 and ember, something that has the power to drive the he4 and pairs well with the 560 (in terms of sound) will usually match well with the HE4. The he4 is harder to drive than the 560 though, I know that from driving them both out of the ember and seeing where the volume pot is. So of the amp is borderline able to drive the 560 it won't drive the he4 well.

or try the he 6 thread. If it drives the 6 itll drive the 4 like a champ

Nov 10, 2014 at 7:34 PM Post #3,148 of 4,142
Well the EF-5 is the first "duh!" moment for me.  Forgot that HiFiMAN makes tube amps specifically for their cans.  I don't know how the price/value is but it's an option at least.  Still reading...

EDIT - (And RazordogAudio sells it, so $100 off the MSRP of $499...)

Nov 10, 2014 at 8:03 PM Post #3,149 of 4,142
I'm
Well the EF-5 is the first "duh!" moment for me.  Forgot that HiFiMAN makes tube amps specifically for their cans.  I don't know how the price/value is but it's an option at least.  Still reading...

EDIT - (And RazordogAudio sells it, so $100 off the MSRP of $499...)
Check eBay, I think I've seen them for $300-350 before

Users who are viewing this thread

Back