Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread
Jun 7, 2014 at 3:29 PM Post #2,266 of 4,142
  The HE 560 is sounding like an upgrade to the HE 4... I wonder though how it compares any one heard it recently 

In your specific case, I would be careful... You seems to love treble heavy headphones. The way I understand it, it will go like this in terms of brightness/airiness/hyper-detailed-nature in stock form: HE-4 > HE-6 > HE-560 > HE-500. Anyone feel free to correct me.

Jun 7, 2014 at 3:33 PM Post #2,267 of 4,142

In your specific case, I would be careful... You seems to love treble heavy headphones. The way I understand it, it will go like this in terms of brightness/airiness/hyper-detailed-nature in stock form: HE-4 > HE-6 > HE-560 > HE-500. Anyone feel free to correct me.

yea... I worry about that... I'd like not to have to get the HE 6 as my next headphone seeing as I'd need a new amp first >.> 

I might try the T1 

Jun 7, 2014 at 3:37 PM Post #2,268 of 4,142
  But there is (well, going to be). The new Hifiman lineup is all single-ended, basically improving upon the old reliable HE4 design.

It's not in Hifiman's reputation but I wish they would make a warmer sound planar like an Audeze. Maybe, and crossing fingers here, that the HE400i will be tuned to be a bit on the dark side minus the HE400s mid dip but with it's bass and the HE500's mids. I would definitely be interested in that.

Jun 7, 2014 at 3:46 PM Post #2,269 of 4,142

yea... I worry about that... I'd like not to have to get the HE 6 as my next headphone seeing as I'd need a new amp first >.> 

I might try the T1 

My personal opinion is that you should keep the HE-4 until you find something that would suit you better...

... because you could find yourself sad about selling it too quick. I would choose HE-4 over T1 without hesitation, btw.

Jun 7, 2014 at 3:53 PM Post #2,270 of 4,142

My personal opinion is that you should keep the HE-4 until you find something that would suit you better...

... because you could find yourself sad about selling it too quick. I would choose HE-4 over T1 without hesitation, btw.

Not going to sell them, I was curious to see if they would sell and it appears they wont 

Jun 7, 2014 at 7:55 PM Post #2,271 of 4,142
I've played a little with an equalizer...

1: Peak/Dip, 2100 Hz, Gain +2.70 dB, Bandwidth: 0.50 oct
2: Peak/Dip, 8500 Hz, Gain -6.80 dB, Bandwidth: 0.50 oct

It's of course suited for the HE-4 with Hifiman pleather pads... And I use a felt circle (appr. 6.7cm diameter, 2mm thickness) inside each pad (it somewhat makes treble less rough and background blacker with or without EQ, subjectively).

My primary focus was on making the HE-4 more neutral, without introducing unwanted EQ artifacts (like making the sound muffled, unfocused, without proper imaging ability etc...). To my ears, this particular EQ curve works great. But, it definitely took some effort... I am using some specific tracks that tend to sound somewhat flawed/weird regardless of which headphones I am listening to them with. Now, these tracks sound nice and quite balanced! Will see in upcoming days...

It's very probably not a final version (and I am not saying this is making the HE-4 perfectly neutral - definitely not) but I thought I would post it here... Maybe someone would find it useful to improve upon (or to adjust to one's personal HE-4). For further work, I would try to manipulate with gain values at first, leaving the rest as is - frequency as well as bandwidth.

Note: Be warned that each digital EQ can work slightly differently even when using the same settings... Therefore try to use EasyQ at first, it's for free and very very intuitive and versatile!

Jun 7, 2014 at 10:03 PM Post #2,272 of 4,142
I know many here have already listened to this, but i finally got a copy and sat down with the "Dr. Chesky" binaural album. Just wow on the He-4. I had previewed it long ago on the he400 and fiio e17, and it was amazing then. Now, Audio gd 10se plus he4 balanced, i am astonished this is possible. The imaging is off the charts, you forget you have Hps on thats for sure. Going to have to plug in the ol model sixes and see what they do. 

Jun 7, 2014 at 10:14 PM Post #2,273 of 4,142
  I know many here have already listened to this, but i finally got a copy and sat down with the "Dr. Chesky" binaural album. Just wow on the He-4. I had previewed it long ago on the he400 and fiio e17, and it was amazing then. Now, Audio gd 10se plus he4 balanced, i am astonished this is possible. The imaging is off the charts, you forget you have Hps on thats for sure. Going to have to plug in the ol model sixes and see what they do. 

yeap I gave that album a listen, and I honestly felt the imaging was a little better with the dt 880 pads, than the Velours, how ever the velours had a wider but some what less defined sound stage...

Non the less, I've not listened to the HE 4 with PLeathers or any form of LEathers yet, I may get an extra pair of Lawton Pads and see how they sound on my HE 4 

either way, the HE 4 and the newest Chesky Album sounds really special! 

Jun 7, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #2,274 of 4,142
please get the lawton pads, i cant afford them right now, but i think ill buy a pair of hfm pleathers since theyre 20 bucks.

Jun 7, 2014 at 10:30 PM Post #2,275 of 4,142
  please get the lawton pads, i cant afford them right now, but i think ill buy a pair of hfm pleathers since theyre 20 bucks.

Hmm I wonder honestly about each 

Jun 7, 2014 at 10:30 PM Post #2,276 of 4,142
I really want to get this HP but my problem really is the amp in the iBasso D7. I cannot really afford an amp at the moment and ive read that you need a good amp to get the HE-4 full experience.

I heard them today and i was blown away by its sound, miles ahead comparing them to the Fischer Audio FA011

Jun 7, 2014 at 10:39 PM Post #2,277 of 4,142
I really want to get this HP but my problem really is the amp in the iBasso D7. I cannot really afford an amp at the moment and ive read that you need a good amp to get the HE-4 full experience.

I heard them today and i was blown away by its sound, miles ahead comparing them to the Fischer Audio FA011

if you like the D7 look into getting the iBasso PB1 [you'll need to get a balanced cable and adapter] but it's a powerful PORTABLE! Amp, you can find the amp for about $100 Used, the balanced Cable for the HE 4 can be around $50-60 if you get your self a Canare Cable [Tough sounds good, but a little stiff and not pretty] the Adapter can be had for around $50 [the Hi Rose Connectors are expensive but you can get a used one for around $25 or so] 

So for around $200 you've got a powerful amp and balanced cables to boot, which what's nice about balanced amps is they offer more power than SE verisions, 

although if you look around you may also be able to find equally powerful Portable amps in SE, which don't need any additional cables, how ever I doubt they will be nearly as cheap as the PB1 [when you run it balanced and get the cables] 

Jun 7, 2014 at 10:43 PM Post #2,278 of 4,142
That's the thing I can't afford an amp at this very moment. But, can I enjoy them with the D7 while I save for an amp?? Or do you recommend buying everything together?

if you like the D7 look into getting the iBasso PB1 [you'll need to get a balanced cable and adapter] but it's a powerful PORTABLE! Amp, you can find the amp for about $100 Used, the balanced Cable for the HE 4 can be around $50-60 if you get your self a Canare Cable [Tough sounds good, but a little stiff and not pretty] the Adapter can be had for around $50 [the Hi Rose Connectors are expensive but you can get a used one for around $25 or so] 

So for around $200 you've got a powerful amp and balanced cables to boot, which what's nice about balanced amps is they offer more power than SE verisions, 

although if you look around you may also be able to find equally powerful Portable amps in SE, which don't need any additional cables, how ever I doubt they will be nearly as cheap as the PB1 [when you run it balanced and get the cables] 

Jun 7, 2014 at 10:45 PM Post #2,279 of 4,142
That's the thing I can't afford an amp at this very moment. But, can I enjoy them with the D7 while I save for an amp?? Or do you recommend buying everything together?

Oh yea, if you think that the HE 4 sounds good with your D7 then enjoy it. It only gets better as you get a better amp. 

Jun 8, 2014 at 8:52 PM Post #2,280 of 4,142
  Oh yea, if you think that the HE 4 sounds good with your D7 then enjoy it. It only gets better as you get a better amp. 

If you need a cheap and powerful temporary amp the Audinst HUD MX1, the Fiio EO9K and the Schiit Magni are all great choices especially if you can find one of the used if you really need a more powerful amp. However, saving for something like the Lyr 2 would probably be the best option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back