Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread
Jun 6, 2014 at 5:27 PM Post #2,251 of 4,142
Where did you get those graphs Ron? Are they stock besides changes in pads?

I'm surprised how flat the pleathers are, I feel like the majority of them adds a mid bass boost and decreases the treble. I do enjoy the treble detail with the velours as well as the sub bass bump. To me the hollow sounding or reverberation on the pleather is a deal breaker. The larger opening th600 doesn't have that issue though.

Here is the address: http://personalaudio.ru/raa/otchety/naushniki/

I would personally use it mostly for comparing between various headphones... As we don't know the exact metodology and stuff. But looking at some other graphs, at least bass and mids should be OK as they are presented.

I personally enjoy the subbass bump with velours as well :) But I enjoy better mids and treble of the pleathers more. And modding the pleather pads kind of improved the experience as well - with the felt inside, they are more tough so they hold their shape better, resulting in a better sense of space (and maybe slightly better imaging as well with the angle)... And I think it kind of added some sort of a slight subbass bump as well as also already mentioned - maybe again because of a slightly worse seal in comparison to the stock pleathers?

Jun 6, 2014 at 7:39 PM Post #2,252 of 4,142

Here is the address: http://personalaudio.ru/raa/otchety/naushniki/

I would personally use it mostly for comparing between various headphones... As we don't know the exact metodology and stuff. But looking at some other graphs, at least bass and mids should be OK as they are presented.

I personally enjoy the subbass bump with velours as well :) But I enjoy better mids and treble of the pleathers more. And modding the pleather pads kind of improved the experience as well - with the felt inside, they are more tough so they hold their shape better, resulting in a better sense of space (and maybe slightly better imaging as well with the angle)... And I think it kind of added some sort of a slight subbass bump as well as also already mentioned - maybe again because of a slightly worse seal in comparison to the stock pleathers?

jeeze your turning into quiete the mad scientist! 

Very nice though, I'm egar to hear how Hifimans New Pads sound on their current headphones

Jun 6, 2014 at 11:18 PM Post #2,253 of 4,142
well, since ive only tried the alphas, and jergs, i now will be ordering stock pleathers. Only problem is going to be sweating now that itll be pretty warm here and my a/c cant keep up!

Jun 7, 2014 at 2:38 PM Post #2,256 of 4,142

Comparing to Innerfidelity's data, the graphs seem to be already compensated... and more or less legit (some variation is expected, of course).

I didn't know innerfidelity did a graph for the HE4. They do look very similar to Purrin's graphs though.

Jun 7, 2014 at 3:00 PM Post #2,259 of 4,142

I compared several headphones (like HD800, HE-500 etc.) in both Innerfidelity and Personalaudio.ru database to find out whether their graphs share some similarities...

Gotcha. Yea that's a good way to see if their graphs stack up. As far as I know the graph you posted is the 2nd measurement available for the HE4 so good find!

Jun 7, 2014 at 3:01 PM Post #2,260 of 4,142
  That is like flagship level air treble extension. Seriously impressive.

Well, there is for sure enough dbs in treble as well as airiness and detail... Which is rather rare with orthodynamic headphones nowadays (LCD-2, HE-400 or HE-500 cannot keep up with them at all in technicalities). That said, HE-4 do have some higher level of distortion in lower treble... And they lack that HD800's ability to render microdetails. So you cannot avoid some rawness. These are no electrostats or polite orthos. But these also are no typical grainy dynamic headphones... Something in between.

You get almost flagship performance without the need to spend a grand if you are into their more technical sound signature. They are not perfect... But I cannot think of anything better (except electrostats which require significant investments towards amplification) under 1000USD... Maybe Alpha Dogs if you want closed-back?

Jun 7, 2014 at 3:09 PM Post #2,262 of 4,142

Well, there is for sure enough dbs in treble as well as airiness and detail... Which is rather rare with orthodynamic headphones nowadays (LCD-2, HE-400 or HE-500 cannot keep up with them at all in technicalities). That said, HE-4 do have some higher level of distortion in lower treble... And they lack that HD800's ability to render microdetails. So you cannot avoid some rawness. These are no electrostats or polite orthos. But these also are no typical grainy dynamic headphones... Something in between.

You get almost flagship performance without the need to spend a grand if you are into their more technical sound signature. They are not perfect... But I cannot think of anything better (except electrostats which require significant investments towards amplification) under 1000USD... Maybe Alpha Dogs if you want closed-back?

Yeah they seem to be some truly unique headphones. There really isn't much else like them.

Jun 7, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #2,263 of 4,142
  Yeah they seem to be some truly unique headphones. There really isn't much else like them.

But there is (well, going to be). The new Hifiman lineup is all single-ended, basically improving upon the old reliable HE4 design.

Jun 7, 2014 at 3:25 PM Post #2,264 of 4,142
  But there is (well, going to be). The new Hifiman lineup is all single-ended, basically improving upon the old reliable HE4 design.

Yes, I am looking forward to see the final versions... Especially the HE-400i. HE-560 are going to be great for sure but I am more into price/performance nowadays. There are not many headphones that come close to flagships - but they do exist and make me happier as I know that I don't have a huge amount of money invested in a single item with them.

The only problem I see with Hifiman are revisions... Folks who preordered HE-560 are just absolutely crazy. I really don't want to be rude (I admire Hifiman) but I have to be honest... Look at Hifiman's and Audeze's endless list of revisions of EVERY headphone they release. It's so underwhelming. I am going to wait for at least a year or two before even considering HE-400i...

Jun 7, 2014 at 3:25 PM Post #2,265 of 4,142

The HE 560 is sounding like an upgrade to the HE 4... I wonder though how it compares any one heard it recently 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back