Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread
Jan 26, 2014 at 11:49 PM Post #1,262 of 4,142

on a side note, why are people buying these small amps with speaker outs for the HE-4?  couldn't you just get a nice condition vintage (or not) receiver from something like goodwill or craigslist to do the job as well or better?  I myself am considering restoring an old fisher 400 and trying it with either there he-4 or 6.. inquiring minds..

I might pop my head by the Goodwill sometime next month and look at the receivers. A buddy of mine got a really nice one many years ago, from what I remember it was old and wooden but man they sounded good driving some modern speakers he had.

Ordered some he-4's. Stoked

Be sure to provide ample power!

Jan 27, 2014 at 12:32 AM Post #1,263 of 4,142
I might pop my head by the Goodwill sometime next month and look at the receivers. A buddy of mine got a really nice one many years ago, from what I remember it was old and wooden but man they sounded good driving some modern speakers he had.

Be sure to provide ample power!
Makes a lot more sense to me to just get a receiver or speaker amp then to bother with a specific hp amp for these greedy cans. Be sure to let us know how it goes. I may even get some of these.

Jan 27, 2014 at 12:43 AM Post #1,264 of 4,142
I've got 2 vintage receivers ready for duty. A Sansui and a Yamaha. Both have very nice headphone outs and different sonic characteristics. If either of these prove to be not quite up to snuff i'll just get some speaker taps to run to them instead :)

Jan 27, 2014 at 1:26 AM Post #1,265 of 4,142
If they're pre 1980 the hp out more than likely uses the same circuit, so no gain in going to speaker taps. But you won't know unless you have docs or ya open em up.

Jan 27, 2014 at 1:27 AM Post #1,266 of 4,142
Congrats on the buy though, and welcome to the limited growing club of he4 owners!

Jan 27, 2014 at 1:51 AM Post #1,268 of 4,142
I've got 2 vintage receivers ready for duty. A Sansui and a Yamaha. Both have very nice headphone outs and different sonic characteristics. If either of these prove to be not quite up to snuff i'll just get some speaker taps to run to them instead :)

Right on, make sure to post your thoughts of the new gear. Welcome to the new-age hifiman setups with single magnets lol

Jan 27, 2014 at 4:38 PM Post #1,269 of 4,142
Anyone have a pair of these in the Houston area? I want to compare them to my he-500, not that I'm not happy with the 500s,I just want to try more hifiman goodness :D liked the voicing on the 5le I heard recently and still need to hear a he6, but the 4s intrigue me greatly

Jan 27, 2014 at 9:26 PM Post #1,271 of 4,142
Jan 28, 2014 at 11:00 PM Post #1,273 of 4,142
the emotiva shouldnt be enough for anyone really. Its a GOOD starter amp for 160 on planars, but it is not the be all end all here, I believe the ember is my next choice, but i am sure there is another amp that will best that. The he4 scales like a beast. It changes a good amount from amp to amp. I personally like that. 

Jan 28, 2014 at 11:35 PM Post #1,274 of 4,142
  the emotiva shouldnt be enough for anyone really. Its a GOOD starter amp for 160 on planars, but it is not the be all end all here, I believe the ember is my next choice, but i am sure there is another amp that will best that. The he4 scales like a beast. It changes a good amount from amp to amp. I personally like that. 

Oh heck yeah. I was listening to the HE-4 from a vintage Luxman receiver two days ago. After listening to it for about 30 minutes, I went back to the Emotiva and did realized HOW scalable the HE-4 is. The owner of the receiver (a 90 year old man) refused point blank to sell the Luxman to me !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back