Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread
Jan 3, 2014 at 8:58 AM Post #1,111 of 4,142

Interesting. I don't think that I've heard another emotiva owner make this same comment. Possibly the Marantz is just very warm and rolled off in the treble and it makes a good match for the he-4. I've owned one 70's era Marantz and it was certainly warm with dark treble. Not sure though.

Yeah that is probably it.  But that's just me.  Before I bought the Marantz, I auditioned a Rotel amp - which sounded clinical and bright.  I get listening fatigue from that as well that's why I stuck with the Marantz and Denon.

Jan 3, 2014 at 10:32 PM Post #1,113 of 4,142
Bought them used from somebody who had gotten them off headamp 3 months ago. He told me that he made no modification to the headphones so this is how they came stock.

Pics please!

Jan 5, 2014 at 2:27 PM Post #1,114 of 4,142

Jumped on the Emotiva bandwagon! Got this from FS/FT and was modded with a nifty 1/4" jack!

Been comparing a bit with my good ol' FiiO set up.
I'm playing foobar2k into the FiiO stack. Then, line out from there into the Emotiva. This way I can easily switch back and forth between the two. 
All I have to do is plug into the jack of the desired device. Doesn't get much easier than that.

The Emotiva is definitely more forward sounding. There's a bit more meat. Perhaps more resolving?

But I have to be honest, I'm not quite impressed...yet, at least. I expected the gobs of power to transform my HE-4 but perhaps my expectations were/are too high. 
Or maybe I just don't have picky or very discerning ears :)

I'll have to listen to the Emotiva for at least a week exclusively before I can make up my mind. Gotta get used to the sound signature. 

Jan 5, 2014 at 3:31 PM Post #1,116 of 4,142

Jumped on the Emotiva bandwagon! Got this from FS/FT and was modded with a nifty 1/4" jack!

I'm playing foobar2k into the FiiO stack. Then, line out from there into the Emotiva. This way I can easily switch back and forth between the two. 
All I have to do is plug into the jack of the desired device. Doesn't get much easier than that.

The Emotiva is definitely more forward sounding. There's a bit more meat. Perhaps more resolving?

But I have to be honest, I'm not quite impressed...yet, at least. I expected the gobs of power to transform my HE-4 but perhaps my expectations were/are too high. 

I'll have to listen to the Emotiva for at least a week exclusively before I can make up my mind. Gotta get used to the sound signature. 

I'm in complete agreement with not being impressed by the Emotiva. Sure, it's cool, and modding the front with a 1/4" jack was fun, but I don't understand the hype at all. Power "requirements" are hardly "requirements" IMO. You don't need a speaker amp to power the HE-4. The Vali can even power them just fine.

Jan 5, 2014 at 3:41 PM Post #1,117 of 4,142
Glad I bought mine on amazon! Gotta love that return policy

Jan 5, 2014 at 5:43 PM Post #1,118 of 4,142

What you saying that there is a improvement. If a new piece of equipment really transform my listening experience that usually tells me that there is something wrong with my old gear that was not suited for my needs.  

Jan 5, 2014 at 8:46 PM Post #1,120 of 4,142

The bold may be all the improvements / difference there is.  It's the little things that we look for.  So keep you expectations down because all improvements are subtle ones at best.

Jan 6, 2014 at 10:16 PM Post #1,121 of 4,142
I currently own an Aune T1 + HE-400 and enjoy it very much. However, I have been itching for an upgrade for awhile now. Would my Aune T1 be able to drive the HE-4, and how much of an upgrade would this be from my current Aune T1 + HE-400 setup?

Jan 6, 2014 at 10:52 PM Post #1,122 of 4,142
Never heard the aune, and doubt it will have enough power for the 4. But, an underpowered he4 still sounds vastly better than an he400. I don't miss my 400 AT ALL. The 4 does everything better, and vocals don't sound off. That was the biggest plus to me. That and no tizz in the treble. All this is IMO of course.

Jan 7, 2014 at 8:15 AM Post #1,123 of 4,142
  I currently own an Aune T1 + HE-400 and enjoy it very much. However, I have been itching for an upgrade for awhile now. Would my Aune T1 be able to drive the HE-4, and how much of an upgrade would this be from my current Aune T1 + HE-400 setup?

I think it's safe to say that your T1 will be able to get the HE-4 loud enough. Plus, I agree with hemi. The HE-4 will still beat out the HE-400 even without the best amp match. FWIW, I was using the HE-4 out of a Vali the other day (which outputs less power than your T1) and it sounded awesome.

Jan 7, 2014 at 9:01 AM Post #1,124 of 4,142
Thanks for the feedback guys! I'll look into getting a pair soon, if I can get someone to take these HE-400s off my hands...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back