Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread
Jan 19, 2018 at 10:30 PM Post #4,066 of 4,142
Hmm .... perhaps I should update my profile! I have at the moment well over twenty pairs of headphones!
I went a little bit mad, obviously, and I’ll start to sell the odd pair sometime soon. Music is a huge part of my life, and my tendency to be impulsive suddenly took over my better sense. I like them all, but even with my best intentions (a ‘game’ where I randomly pick a different pair each day to listen to) some simply are not being used, and I think it’s time to prune them down to around ten or twelve.
Yeah, for a while I tried some Shure 1540 (don’t own them!) alcantara pads on the Grandiosa’s but then reverted back.
Funny you mention the PM-2’s; I got them for a good price but was always niggled both by the pads (which I hated) and sometimes a sound that was lacking. Just, lacking. I eventually destroyed the pads so as to have the plastic mount to put into other pads, and when I got the Brainwavz angled sheepskin they moved to another level. Ultra-comfortable and much more dynamic and enjoyable.
Both those though are just not getting head time. I have various HiFiMan pairs, a Sony MDR-Z7, plus three or four others which dominate. To tackle this I do make a point of purposefully picking some of the others (for example the Focal Spirit Pro, which I think have a frankly phenomenal sound for their price and also the Sony MDR-MA900 ....)
But back to HiFiMan, I really do like their headphones a lot. A shame that I’ll never be able to afford the Susvara, or others, but I long ago decided on a somewhat arbitrary ceiling on what I would spend. I knew I’d never spend more than £1000, so settled on £900, and that would have to be for something very special. I’ve bought nearly all my ‘phones second hand, with care and been very fortunate. When the HD800s came out I really wanted them, to go along with what I considered my other flagship, being the HE-6, and I thought what the heck, and went into the local Sennheiser dealer and asked if they’d sell me a pair for £900 cash, thinking they’d at least try and push me up. They accepted and I got them brand new for that.
My PM-2 for £300, plus others .... not sure if I should update my profile actually.
So, I can’t wait this weekend to finally get these 4’s out and start listening to them.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2018 at 11:45 AM Post #4,067 of 4,142
Well, I’ve got a few amps to play around with, but to a certain extent it will depend where I’m using them. I listen to headphones at my ‘work’ desk, in a listening chair and also in my bedroom. I’ve got a HiFiMan EF-6 on my desk and it stays there. There’s also a Deckard along with a Matrix & Korg amps that kinda move between the other two places. So I’ll start on the EF-6 and take it from there.
I’ve got way too many ‘phones, but I have to say that taking the 4’s out of their box I was struck by how beautiful they were! I have various other ‘phones that I find lovely aesthetically, but they were just so gleaming and clean-looking that they took my breath away.
Anyway, thanks for the welcome! I’ll be back with some thoughts very soon.
Be well.

Oh man the ef6+he4 combo is something I've always wanted to hear. I am sure it's a fantastic pairing.

Jan 20, 2018 at 5:04 PM Post #4,068 of 4,142
I also rotated amps between the HE-4 and the Grandioso, or ATH-W1000X (took a peek at your profile), and found that having Brainwavz HM5 regular hybrid ear pads on them (Since they are hardware-angled, regular is best and take your sweet-sweet time slowly stretching the outer pleather lip onto the ear-cup earpad edges!) and a new universe opened up for my ears! I miss them, but at least they were so good that the new owner eventually sold his ATH-R70x for HM5-regular-hybrid-ear-pad-fitted Grandiosos!

Also, the PM-2s are now discontinued and rare, like the HE-4, so go newer-rare planars!

Hmm .... perhaps I should update my profile! I have at the moment well over twenty pairs of headphones!
I went a little bit mad, obviously, and I’ll start to sell the odd pair sometime soon. Music is a huge part of my life, and my tendency to be impulsive suddenly took over my better sense. I like them all, but even with my best intentions (a ‘game’ where I randomly pick a different pair each day to listen to) some simply are not being used, and I think it’s time to prune them down to around ten or twelve.
Yeah, for a while I tried some Shure 1540 (don’t own them!) alcantara pads on the Grandiosa’s but then reverted back.
Funny you mention the PM-2’s; I got them for a good price but was always niggled both by the pads (which I hated) and sometimes a sound that was lacking. Just, lacking. I eventually destroyed the pads so as to have the plastic mount to put into other pads, and when I got the Brainwavz angled sheepskin they moved to another level. Ultra-comfortable and much more dynamic and enjoyable.
Both those though are just not getting head time. I have various HiFiMan pairs, a Sony MDR-Z7, plus three or four others which dominate. To tackle this I do make a point of purposefully picking some of the others (for example the Focal Spirit Pro, which I think have a frankly phenomenal sound for their price and also the Sony MDR-MA900 ....)
But back to HiFiMan, I really do like their headphones a lot. A shame that I’ll never be able to afford the Susvara, or others, but I long ago decided on a somewhat arbitrary ceiling on what I would spend. I knew I’d never spend more than £1000, so settled on £900, and that would have to be for something very special. I’ve bought nearly all my ‘phones second hand, with care and been very fortunate. When the HD800s came out I really wanted them, to go along with what I considered my other flagship, being the HE-6, and I thought what the heck, and went into the local Sennheiser dealer and asked if they’d sell me a pair for £900 cash, thinking they’d at least try and push me up. They accepted and I got them brand new for that.
My PM-2 for £300, plus others .... not sure if I should update my profile actually.
So, I can’t wait this weekend to finally get these 4’s out and start listening to them.

For a LONG time the W1000X and HE 4 where my two go to cans! You both seem to have great taste :3, as for Pads I liked L3000 pads on my W1000X, I got them way back when Audiocubes2 still sold them. Non the less, enjoy the HE 4 man it's something special! I own an HD 800 and LCD 2 and neither completely replace the HE 4. It just has something pleasurable and super unique to it!

Feb 5, 2018 at 2:56 PM Post #4,069 of 4,142
Just listening to Connie Francis - Oh Boy

and oh boy this is still an amazing headphone. Bass and timber of this headphone is...in many ways its better than HD800. :)

Mar 9, 2018 at 11:12 AM Post #4,070 of 4,142
Anyone that's been looking for an he4 there's one for sale here on headfi for a great price.

Mar 25, 2018 at 8:45 PM Post #4,071 of 4,142
Mar 25, 2018 at 8:56 PM Post #4,072 of 4,142
Post it in headphones for metal thread, they'll sell quick I'm sure. Funny just today I was searching for a board of cocobolo to possibly make cups for my he4 finally. Doubt I'll ever do it just due to time but a manboy can dream. Good luck with the sale. I've thought of selling mine too but just wont

Mar 25, 2018 at 9:02 PM Post #4,073 of 4,142
Post it in headphones for metal thread, they'll sell quick I'm sure. Funny just today I was searching for a board of cocobolo to possibly make cups for my he4 finally. Doubt I'll ever do it just due to time but a manboy can dream. Good luck with the sale. I've thought of selling mine too but just wont

I've hung onto them for a while but I'm not a bachelor any more so I really need to shift my priorities around :3

Plus as special as these are they really need to have some regular head time!

Mar 25, 2018 at 9:22 PM Post #4,074 of 4,142
I've hung onto them for a while but I'm not a bachelor any more so I really need to shift my priorities around :3

Plus as special as these are they really need to have some regular head time!

Naw man, have kids, then buy headphones and say they are for the kids, that's how "my son" got a woodied denon d2k.

Mar 25, 2018 at 9:33 PM Post #4,075 of 4,142
Naw man, have kids, then buy headphones and say they are for the kids, that's how "my son" got a woodied denon d2k.

xD I might have to try that later on!

Mar 26, 2018 at 12:54 AM Post #4,076 of 4,142
Jun 4, 2018 at 7:16 PM Post #4,078 of 4,142
Would the HE-4 work well with a Yamaha CA-1000 vintage amp with the Hifiman adapter box? Looking for the HE-4 myself obviously but not many for sale it seems so wondering how you guys feel pairing them up with a vintage amp before I can try it out myself :)

Jun 4, 2018 at 7:38 PM Post #4,079 of 4,142
Would the HE-4 work well with a Yamaha CA-1000 vintage amp with the Hifiman adapter box? Looking for the HE-4 myself obviously but not many for sale it seems so wondering how you guys feel pairing them up with a vintage amp before I can try it out myself :)

Can't speak directly for that model, but yes that's the best way to drive the he4/he6.

Jun 4, 2018 at 7:54 PM Post #4,080 of 4,142
@hemipowered007 Awesome, then I’m looking in the right direction. Took a year long break from headphones but missing the planar sound. Out of all the headphones I tried I liked the HE-500 the most, but I don’t want to get a dedicated amp for a headphone anymore. Hopefully I can get a HE-4 soon. HE-6 I already owned and really liked with the Bottlehead S.E.X. Kinda surprising they worked well together at the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back