HiFiMan HE-300 Coming Soon!
Aug 22, 2011 at 4:31 PM Post #331 of 926
haha Im getting excited for my HPs.  How long did it take to get your yours?  I think Im just being impatient while I wait for my NBF-5 and HE-300 gigity! gigity!

Quote:
Well HD600 are warm but don't have the bass punch HE-4 has so if HE-300 is anything like the HE-4 in the bass department then its gonna be the bomb.

Aug 22, 2011 at 4:31 PM Post #332 of 926
How did the cable break?  Too stiff?

Quote:
I've now gotten over 100 hours of burn in on the broken cable (hung it from high up so both drivers would function). Fang sent me out a replacement which, if according to DHL (it says in Portland, OR and is in transit)  should be here very soon. I have to finish my TTVJ Slim review first before writing this.

Aug 22, 2011 at 8:44 PM Post #336 of 926
This setup seems to synergies VERY well for me. I like it a lot.

The cable is exactly the same except for the much needed updated jack. Sweet.

Aug 22, 2011 at 9:14 PM Post #339 of 926
Mids have smoothed out a little but the slight nasal/pinched character remains. Still does not resemble the mids of the HD600. But top end now has some sparkle.

I compared both phones using the track "I Went Down To The River To Pray" (Alison Krause, from Oh Brother Where Art Thou..). And to be fair, I used the RW Audio cables on both headphones.

- vocals were warmer on the HD600 and slightly nasal on the HE-300
- vocals were clearer and more focused on the HE-300
- more sense of space and air around vocalists on the HE-300 (HD600 was a bit blurred in comparison)

Using other source material, the bass on the HE-300 is more powerful and dynamic than the HD600, although the HD600 bass is more evenly balanced. I hear a slight emphasis in the 80 to 120Hz area on the HE-300, which is closer in line to the HD650. The midrange emphasis I hear on the HE-300 would seem to be somewhere around the area of 2 to 5 kHz. Either that or there is a dip just before, around 800 Hz to 1 kHz. Most vocals are a bit forward-sounding on the HE-300. So maybe I find the midrange of the HE-300 is not like the HD600/650, but it's not necessarily a bad thing. The HE-300 sounds way more alive and alert than the Sennheisers. Certainly no veiled characteristic to the HE-300. Almost a cross between the Grado SR225 and the HD650. Or the K701 and the HE-5LE ... . Almost a cross between the GRado SR225 and the   Or the

Aug 22, 2011 at 9:23 PM Post #340 of 926
Well, that's nice to hear!

BTW, THANKS FrederikS, Beagle and Fang for the answers!

This headphone seems more and more interesting.

Any news on the improved earpads?

Aug 22, 2011 at 9:31 PM Post #341 of 926
mmm... I think I might have what I'd like until I get enough money for the LCD's.  Thanks a lot.  Keep um coming!  Impatiently sting on my pair....
cool.gif

Quote:
Mids have smoothed out a little but the slight nasal/pinched character remains. Still does not resemble the mids of the HD600. But top end now has some sparkle.

I compared both phones using the track "I Went Down To The River To Pray" (Alison Krause, from Oh Brother Where Art Thou..). And to be fair, I used the RW Audio cables on both headphones.

- vocals were warmer on the HD600 and slightly nasal on the HE-300
- vocals were clearer and more focused on the HE-300
- more sense of space and air around vocalists on the HE-300 (HD600 was a bit blurred in comparison)

Using other source material, the bass on the HE-300 is more powerful and dynamic than the HD600, although the HD600 bass is more evenly balanced. I hear a slight emphasis in the 80 to 120Hz area on the HE-300, which is closer in line to the HD650. The midrange emphasis I hear on the HE-300 would seem to be somewhere around the area of 2 to 5 kHz. Either that or there is a dip just before, around 800 Hz to 1 kHz. Most vocals are a bit forward-sounding on the HE-300. So maybe I find the midrange of the HE-300 is not like the HD600/650, but it's not necessarily a bad thing. The HE-300 sounds way more alive and alert than the Sennheisers. Certainly no veiled characteristic to the HE-300. Almost a cross between the Grado SR225 and the HD650. Or the K701 and the HE-5LE ... . Almost a cross between the GRado SR225 and the   Or the

Aug 23, 2011 at 4:38 AM Post #342 of 926
Got my pair yesterday....
atsmile.gif

Did some listening, and my impressions are from the the first 3-5 hours of burn in, so take that in to count.

First of all, I am very excited about the sound, and I am really looking forward to how good they will end up being! IMO they are actually a rare mix of different "reproducing-styles", and therefor they fit a lot of different kinds of music very well.

They are/have:
- A nice and steady SS. Not as big as the best but fairly average in size.
- Great dynamics, espacially in the bottom range. (Not to be mistaken as bassy/sloppy)
- very neutral and detailed midrange wich at the same time is quit comfy and warm. So they are not over analytical, or overly warm, but to these ears a very nice compromise of both worlds. Although I do miss a little more flesh and meat on the presentation of male voices. (might come with more burn in, I hope)
- Top end seems a bit reccesed overall, but with a thew spikes. Cant exactly pinpoint the region of the spikes, but they might be the reason of why their overall caracter is somewhere in the middle of the SENNS and Grados, as mentioned by others?

Anyway, a very nice first impression, and I cant wait for them to burn in properly, to see how much potential they´ve actually got....
wink.gif

BTW: The cable is way too heavy, as others have mentioned. Another thing is, that I find it too stiff at the earcups. They tend to touch my shoulders in certain positions. Not very comfy, and when you move around, it makes the headphone change position as of the cables being touched. (hope it makes sense. Hard for me to expain in english)
Because of the abovementioned problems, I am definitely going for other lighter, and not as stiff cables in the future...

Aug 23, 2011 at 7:57 AM Post #343 of 926

Quote:
IMO they are actually a rare mix of different "reproducing-styles", and therefor they fit a lot of different kinds of music very well.

Agree. They have their own sound, not a copy of an existing dynamic's sound. What I like is that they seem to have warmth/smoothness where you want warmth/smoothness and speed/clarity where you want speed/clarity.

Aug 23, 2011 at 11:52 AM Post #345 of 926

Quote:
Austin - Just to be clear, is that new cable a replacement for your defective one, or is this the cable that now comes shipped with HE-300?

This was a replacement for my defective one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back