HiFiMan HE-300 Coming Soon!
Aug 24, 2011 at 4:20 AM Post #361 of 926

Quote:
Wow just my luck than.  If they are being released this week maybe they are holding my shipment to replace my pads instead.  I think Im just having high hopes at this point but it would be nice.  Was there any word of them actually replacing the ear pads with the older ones or they will be a separate purchase?  

No word on that. I asked them to delay because the earpads on my HE-4 are broken and need replacement and they said its fine.

Aug 24, 2011 at 4:22 AM Post #363 of 926
I will. I already have two HE-6 cables so that the cable shouldn't make any difference and comparing sound signatures will be easier. I'm hoping one is very different from another.

Aug 24, 2011 at 4:34 AM Post #364 of 926
How do you like the HE-4?  Is it hard to drive?

Quote:
I will. I already have two HE-6 cables so that the cable shouldn't make any difference and comparing sound signatures will be easier. I'm hoping one is very different from another.

Aug 24, 2011 at 5:09 AM Post #365 of 926

Quote:
How do you like the HE-4?  Is it hard to drive?

Not hard to drive at all but clearly not meant to be driven by portable amps. The small Starving student drives them with ease. Like them very much, they get 90% of head time while HD800 only 10%. Mostly because of its enjoyable bass.

Aug 24, 2011 at 10:15 AM Post #366 of 926
Here's a short translation of this review, publish on the french website generationmp3.

First contact:
a light wooden box, not an amazing quality, but still appreciable (and not that common in that price range). Not an impressive packaging, just the Jack 6.35 adapter and the huge cable. This cable, for me, is the only disappointing point. Too big and probably too rigid. Moreover, the bnc plug far from perfection. However the build quality is quite good and the Jack plugs (3.5mm) very strong.
The comfort is not on par with Sennheiser HD6x0 or even the Beyerdynamics, but a bit better than others HE models (due to the weight). I don’t have a particular complaint about this point. Cushions are soft , and the headband sufficiently large on the head.

Build quality is, without a doubt, the strongest quality. I don’t think there’s a weak point or defect. The only warning is fixing of earpads, quite easy to remove but hard to replace.

About amplification:
This review is based on a Matrix Quattro and a Graham Slee Novo. The main point is its sensibility. This model is really easier to drive than the Sennheiser HD600 and HD650, or the Akg K701. A Dap is almost sufficient, almost. No problem with specials Dap like Hifiman. A desktop amplifier is still beyond.

Sound :
The first point I have noticed, its versatility. These headphones always sound good with almost every kind of music. In fact, this is more a matter of source than a matter of sound. Low quality tracks like (most of the time) black metal will be noticeably more congested through the HE300. At the opposite, with a good recording it really shines.
The sound signature is warm and detailed, quite similar to the Sennheiser HD650. But, where the Sennheiser is a demanding model, the HiFiMAN doesn’t need an amazing amplifier to show its qualities. The HD600 is probably its opposite signature, but could be a good complement.
A good amplifier will, of course, greatly improve the sound, the best combination is, I think, with a good transistor model, probably due to its warm sound. Tubes amps can give an exaggerate warm sound. Hybrid amplifier can also be a great match, even my starving student improve its impact (despite its little attenuation with bass). The Graham slee Novo is, for example, a really good partner, the Solo probably quite better.

The most important comparison for HiFIMAN is probably with Grado models, especially the sr225. The sound is not exactly the same kind, but there’re a lot of points in common. They share almost the same sound signature, with strong low frequencies and punchy sound. But, the main difference comes with high frequencies. Where the SR225 can sounds a bit short and grainy with highs, the Hifiman keep a good level and a good clarity and never sounds aggressive.

The only complain I can do (except the cable) is its close sounding. For example, the HE300 sounds quite good with classical, but can’t match the incredibly large soundstage of the AKG k701 for example. A matter of preferences but I really like open sounding in classical.

Conclusion:
Despite its price, two or three times lower than high end models from HiFiMAN, the HE300 keep greats qualities. Its warm and strong sound is also one of the most versatile in its price range, especially because it doesn’t needs overprices sources and amplifiers to shine. The deep but close soundstage and the cable (to heavy) don’t attenuate qualities of this model.

EDit : the complete slideshow in 12mp is here

Aug 24, 2011 at 1:37 PM Post #367 of 926
I almost "bit" on these cans but in the end I decided to go with the Sennheiser HD600s.
Hopefully I made the right choice (i.e. to have different sound signatures in my beginner collection :wink:)

What do you guys think?
Are the HE-300 quite different from the HD600s and will they be different from the Shure "sound"?

Aug 24, 2011 at 4:27 PM Post #368 of 926
Thanks for your impressions le masseur, appreciated! Enjoy them beauties.

gelocks I will let you know how they compare once I get the HE-300. But I don't think you made a mistake, HD600 is a wonderful phone and my opinion is that everyone who is serious about headphones needs to have an HD600 at some point.

Aug 24, 2011 at 6:34 PM Post #369 of 926

Quote:
I almost "bit" on these cans but in the end I decided to go with the Sennheiser HD600s.
Hopefully I made the right choice (i.e. to have different sound signatures in my beginner collection :wink:)

What do you guys think?
Are the HE-300 quite different from the HD600s and will they be different from the Shure "sound"?

You will be fine because you will be buying more anyway. :^)

Aug 24, 2011 at 7:30 PM Post #370 of 926

Quote:
 Quote:
Originally Posted by gelocks 

What do you guys think?

You will be fine because you will be buying more anyway. :^)

DON'T SAY THAT!!!!!!! lol!! :wink:

Aug 25, 2011 at 12:01 AM Post #371 of 926
Yes you will sell them eventually :) I never heard the 600 but had the 650 for about a year and I think HE-300 are more enjoyable. 

Aug 25, 2011 at 12:34 AM Post #372 of 926
Now that I have HE-300, I don't know what to do with my wonderful HE-5. Grrrr, I hate you head-fi 

Aug 25, 2011 at 12:38 AM Post #373 of 926
It's all good, a dynamic headphone to go along with the planar magnetic headphones, nice combo 
biggrin.gif

Myself, have been thinking of getting a good dynamic headphone to go along with the LCD-2.  The Fisher FA-011 is a solid headphone but upper end can have a bit of treble energy so I could be looking at the HE-300 soon.

Quote:
Now that I have HE-300, I don't know what to do with my wonderful HE-5. Grrrr, I hate you head-fi 

Aug 25, 2011 at 12:48 AM Post #374 of 926

Quote:
It's all good, a dynamic headphone to go along with the planar magnetic headphones, nice combo 
biggrin.gif

Myself, have been thinking of getting a good dynamic headphone to go along with the LCD-2.  The Fisher FA-011 is a solid headphone but upper end can have a bit more treble so I could be looking at the HE-300 soon.

I have always been curious about the FA-011, please do give us some comparisons if you end up getting a pair of HE-300

Aug 25, 2011 at 10:24 AM Post #375 of 926

Quote:

That's easy... you can give them to a newbie member here!!!
*hint hint Name rhymes with Gelocks!!!*

biggrin.gif

Seriously though, I IMAGINE that the HE-5 does have a "fuller" sound right?!
(or am I thinking about the HE-500?!? Hmmmm...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back