Hifiman Ananda
May 8, 2023 at 9:10 AM Post #4,846 of 4,987
So I won't blow something by connecting planar headphones to the headphone jack in a speaker amp?
Assuming that the amp is working correctly.
My experience with Ananda is that they are easy to drive. Their sound quality is the same when connected to the Fiio K5 Pro or the Topping D30 Pro and A30 Pro set. Any decent HP amp that gives 250 mw at 32 Ohms is enough, unless listen to music at deafening levels.
With planars (speakers and headphones) it isn't about how much power it takes to get to 110db before amp clip. It's about reserve power. The more you have the better the sense of grip,swagger - even when you never get within 15 db of amp clipping.

I have the HEX v2, somewhat the precursor to the Ananda and XS. No question it will hit my regular max volume (~80 db program) on any DAP, LB v40, or SE out of a receiver. It sounds better on the Bryston BHA-1 - better sonically than the first group, but the Ananda 2 and 3 are more authoritative on my Rag 1, which has more power but is arguably not as good as the Bryston sonically.

May 8, 2023 at 9:26 AM Post #4,847 of 4,987
Assuming that the amp is working correctly.

With planars (speakers and headphones) it isn't about how much power it takes to get to 110db before amp clip. It's about reserve power. The more you have the better the sense of grip,swagger - even when you never get within 15 db of amp clipping.

I have the HEX v2, somewhat the precursor to the Ananda and XS. No question it will hit my regular max volume (~80 db program) on any DAP, LB v40, or SE out of a receiver. It sounds better on the Bryston BHA-1 - better sonically than the first group, but the Ananda 2 and 3 are more authoritative on my Rag 1, which has more power but is arguably not as good as the Bryston sonically.
Would the THX AAA 789 be a good fit for these? They have a ton of power with the balanced cable. I've read that it's a pretty bland and sterile headphone amp and I'm worried about that.

Last edited:
May 8, 2023 at 9:47 AM Post #4,848 of 4,987
Would the THX AAA 789 be a good fit for these? They have a ton of power with the balanced cable. I've read that it's a pretty bland and sterile headphone amp and I'm worried about that.
I'm not a fan of the THX sound, but it will present the juice in a very solid way. If you don't have one, look at one of the Schiit 4 wpc@50 ohm models (out of the balanced plug), or even a boat anchor post 1990 discrete class AB receiver.

May 8, 2023 at 11:28 AM Post #4,851 of 4,987
That's above my budget. I'm asking because somebody is selling one in my country for 240$ but I'm willing to ship from other countries.
It is best that you try before you buy or, at least, that you buy from a store, physical or online, that has a very good return policy. That way you make sure you only get an amplifier that gives you the sound quality you are looking for and fits your budget.

May 8, 2023 at 2:35 PM Post #4,852 of 4,987
I agree that it would not make sense to buy a "fancy" cable that cost what the cans do, and that it's not necessary either.

I generally make up my own cables but in this instance I was most fortunate in that the dealer included this one at a very keen price.
I would have been remiss had I not taken advantage of his generosity!
While I wouldn’t personally justify spending as much as the cans cost for a cable, I think there’s objective difference in sound quality/transparency due to cable/connector materials and craftsmanship. And in my experience, it’s easy to tell which is which in a blind test. But as with most things Hifi audio, you quickly hit diminishing returns as you go higher up in price. Also, high transparency and dynamics and are not for everyone and not for all genres. Technically inferior cans/cables may actually sound even better/more melodic to some as things get smoothed out a bit.
My guess is that the Ananda stock cable I received is defective ( it was kinked badly in two spots by the tie wrap) or that it is just crappy.

Yes it’s the black catheter type. The stock Arya cable is the black woven one with 1/4” plug.

What do you use for your cables and connectors?

May 8, 2023 at 2:51 PM Post #4,853 of 4,987
While I wouldn’t personally justify spending as much as the cans cost for a cable, I think there’s objective difference in sound quality/transparency due to cable/connector materials and craftsmanship. And in my experience, it’s easy to tell which is which in a blind test. But as with most things Hifi audio, you quickly hit diminishing returns as you go higher up in price. Also, high transparency and dynamics and are not for everyone and not for all genres. Technically inferior cans/cables may actually sound even better/more melodic to some as things get smoothed out a bit.
My guess is that the Ananda stock cable I received is defective ( it was kinked badly in two spots by the tie wrap) or that it is just crappy.

Yes it’s the black catheter type. The stock Arya cable is the black woven one with 1/4” plug.

What do you use for your cables and connectors?
I agree, won’t say every cable changes things, but after I used forza audioworks noir hybrid, I started to like the arya. Don’t know what it is with the stock cable, but it messes with the audio.

May 10, 2023 at 8:35 AM Post #4,856 of 4,987
May 10, 2023 at 8:37 AM Post #4,857 of 4,987
Did I miss something...?
What are the differences between the three versions?
I only know of mine (non-stealth) and the newer stealth versions.
From the HIFIMAN Ananda Stealth Magnets page:
IMG_3531.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back