Hifiman Ananda
May 4, 2023 at 11:11 PM Post #4,831 of 4,994
Even DIY O2 free cable does the trick, or if you must Custom Cans. Fancy cables are not necessary. That cable you name probably costs nearly what the cans do - unless they are from China and then, who knows whats in them.
I agree that it would not make sense to buy a "fancy" cable that cost what the cans do, and that it's not necessary either.

I generally make up my own cables but in this instance I was most fortunate in that the dealer included this one at a very keen price.
I would have been remiss had I not taken advantage of his generosity!

May 5, 2023 at 6:48 AM Post #4,833 of 4,994
These Hifiman "sales" last indefinitely. $550 is the new price for these.
Man, I'd really like to try these. But I was burned 3x by the Sundara. 2 driver failures and one headband failure. I'm hesitant to give hifiman another chance.

How do the Ananda compare to the Sundara?

May 5, 2023 at 7:02 AM Post #4,834 of 4,994
How do the Ananda compare to the Sundara?
In November 2020 I listened in a store to both the Ananda and Sundara in order to purchase one of them. It was a two-hour listen with a playlist of my own of classical music. There were two things that made me choose the Ananda: bigger soundstage and the truer timbre of the orchestral stringed instruments. To this day the Ananda remain my favorite headphones for this genre of music.

Last edited:
May 7, 2023 at 9:55 AM Post #4,835 of 4,994
How much voltage would I need to drive these to their full potential? My headphone amp (an old Musical Fidelity X-CANS) is a hybrid that produces 100mW into 40Ω as the max output power. Is this enough or would they sound underwhelming?

Last edited:
May 7, 2023 at 10:05 AM Post #4,836 of 4,994
How much voltage would I need to drive these to their full potential? My headphone amp is a hybrid that produces 100mW into 40Ω as the max output power. Is this enough or would they sound underwhelming?
I would seriously consider at least around 1000mw- 1500mw at 32ohm power. With planars (even easy to drive one’s) that really makes a difference, in stage and fast impact.

I used a 1000mw for my arya stealth, it sounded okay, than I went to burson conductor 3xr reference, after that 3xrgt conductor, than they started to shine. And the arya stealth is not a hard to drive planar just like the ananda

Last edited:
May 7, 2023 at 10:17 AM Post #4,837 of 4,994
I would seriously consider at least around 1000mw- 1500mw at 32ohm power. With planars (even easy to drive one’s) that really makes a difference, in stage and fast impact.

I used a 1000mw for my arya stealth, it sounded okay, than I went to burson conductor 3xr reference, after that 3xrgt conductor, than they started to shine. And the arya stealth is not a hard to drive planar just like the ananda
The only other thing I have is the Marantz PM6005 which I used before wanting to give tubes a try. This is a big speaker amp but these things never mention how much voltage they push through their headphone jack.

May 7, 2023 at 10:31 AM Post #4,838 of 4,994
The only other thing I have is the Marantz PM6005 which I used before wanting to give tubes a try. This is a big speaker amp but these things never mention how much voltage they push through their headphone jack.
There is no problem with tube front stage, as long as you have enough power to back that up.

But my advise get a dedicated amp/dac if you want to a better potential.

Have a look at products from ifi, they have quite a few decent excellent price/performance ratio devices. Especially second had (for example ifi zen dac signature and ifi zen can) (They focus on the more natural/tuby sound)

May 7, 2023 at 12:14 PM Post #4,839 of 4,994
That Marantz has lots of output off the speaker taps. Look at what HE-6 folks do to hook up.

Most regular integrateds/recs don’t push much out of the jack unless they feature it

Last edited:
May 7, 2023 at 1:34 PM Post #4,841 of 4,994
How much voltage would I need to drive these to their full potential? My headphone amp (an old Musical Fidelity X-CANS) is a hybrid that produces 100mW into 40Ω as the max output power. Is this enough or would they sound underwhelming?
My experience with Ananda is that they are easy to drive. Their sound quality is the same when connected to the Fiio K5 Pro or the Topping D30 Pro and A30 Pro set. Any decent HP amp that gives 250 mw at 32 Ohms is enough, unless listen to music at deafening levels.

May 7, 2023 at 2:14 PM Post #4,842 of 4,994
My experience with Ananda is that they are easy to drive. Their sound quality is the same when connected to the Fiio K5 Pro or the Topping D30 Pro and A30 Pro set. Any decent HP amp that gives 250 mw at 32 Ohms is enough, unless listen to music at deafening levels.
Most of the time the extra power go hand in hand with higher quality amp circuits, power supplies and dac circuits. I know the Fiio k5 pro and Topping d30 and I can say out of experience, many hours of auditing finding my specific sound and quality I prefer. They don't even come close to how a Ananda Stealth can sound with a Burson, Violectric, Chord or Schiit multibit dac etc... Not saying Fiio is not a okay brand, their K9 Pro is quite okay, but not the most musical

May 7, 2023 at 2:37 PM Post #4,844 of 4,994

Users who are viewing this thread

Back