Hifiman Ananda
Jun 26, 2023 at 11:34 AM Post #4,876 of 4,994
Got to try an Ananda Nano demo unit. My God that is a LOT more bass than I expected from something called an Ananda!

Jun 26, 2023 at 3:13 PM Post #4,878 of 4,994
I see you have the Arya Stealth, how does it compare if you don't mind?
Let me get back to you on this - I had very little listening time on the Ananda Nano, just enough for that quick/brief first impression and will A/B it with the other Hifiman demo units I can get my hands on. Hopefully within the week. (unfortunately, even though the Arya Organics were launched at the same time, I don't have demo unit of that atm)

Jun 26, 2023 at 3:55 PM Post #4,879 of 4,994
Let me get back to you on this - I had very little listening time on the Ananda Nano, just enough for that quick/brief first impression and will A/B it with the other Hifiman demo units I can get my hands on. Hopefully within the week. (unfortunately, even though the Arya Organics were launched at the same time, I don't have demo unit of that atm)
Ok, a comparison to the Arya Stealth would be great because it is insanely cheap right now! I really appreciate it and if course no hurry. Wish I had a place near me to demo stuff

Jul 3, 2023 at 12:01 PM Post #4,881 of 4,994
Ok, a comparison to the Arya Stealth would be great because it is insanely cheap right now! I really appreciate it and if course no hurry. Wish I had a place near me to demo stuff
Okay, sorry, life has really caught up to me. I'll be back at the audio store tomorrow to pick up some new toys, so I'm hoping to listen to it next to Arya & Ananda Stealth, but I did manage to get two songs in on the Ananda Nano today, so I'll just put some quick impressions here - please take everything I say here with big pinch of salt because I am extremely tired and sleep-deprived on top of being super new to the hobby lol

I'll also preface whatever I say here (and whatever I will say after tomorrow if I have the time) by saying I like highly-resolving listens with a sound signature that's bass-lean and bright (I know highly-resolving doesn't necessarily mean bright, I like having both).

First up, in terms of comfort/fit, the Aryas might be a more comfortable fit for more people because the earcups swivel 360 degrees - the earcups on the Ananda don't swivel at all. In terms of build, adjusting the headband on the Aryas does scratch the anodization on the headband though - not sure how exactly to describe this but this is something I think lots of Arya owners have spoken about, the Anandas will not have this problem.

Sonically, from prior experience with v1 and v2, I generally expect Anandas to be a very bass-lean, bright listen. In reality, yes, the Nanos still have good treble extension, though a bit less hot than I expected, but there is a LOT more bass here than I expect from anything called an Ananda. I... think? I'm tempted to say there's more mid-bass? here than the Arya Stealth, though I think the bass texture & coherency on the Arya Stealth is better. Aryas I suspect are more technically resolving, and is also a much grander listen by way of its incredible soundstage height, this is a sense I don't really get from the Nanos.
DMS described the nano as "like the meze 109, but a planar". Has anyone heard both and have thoughts comparing the two?
I will echo DMS's comments here - sonically I find it closer to a Meze 109 than an Ananda v1, and while I think that may make these more palatable for more people, this one's probably not for me. Again though, maybe I need to give these another listen when I'm less tired, more awake...

Jul 3, 2023 at 1:21 PM Post #4,882 of 4,994
Okay, sorry, life has really caught up to me. I'll be back at the audio store tomorrow to pick up some new toys, so I'm hoping to listen to it next to Arya & Ananda Stealth, but I did manage to get two songs in on the Ananda Nano today, so I'll just put some quick impressions here - please take everything I say here with big pinch of salt because I am extremely tired and sleep-deprived on top of being super new to the hobby lol

I'll also preface whatever I say here (and whatever I will say after tomorrow if I have the time) by saying I like highly-resolving listens with a sound signature that's bass-lean and bright (I know highly-resolving doesn't necessarily mean bright, I like having both).

First up, in terms of comfort/fit, the Aryas might be a more comfortable fit for more people because the earcups swivel 360 degrees - the earcups on the Ananda don't swivel at all. In terms of build, adjusting the headband on the Aryas does scratch the anodization on the headband though - not sure how exactly to describe this but this is something I think lots of Arya owners have spoken about, the Anandas will not have this problem.

Sonically, from prior experience with v1 and v2, I generally expect Anandas to be a very bass-lean, bright listen. In reality, yes, the Nanos still have good treble extension, though a bit less hot than I expected, but there is a LOT more bass here than I expect from anything called an Ananda. I... think? I'm tempted to say there's more mid-bass? here than the Arya Stealth, though I think the bass texture & coherency on the Arya Stealth is better. Aryas I suspect are more technically resolving, and is also a much grander listen by way of its incredible soundstage height, this is a sense I don't really get from the Nanos.

I will echo DMS's comments here - sonically I find it closer to a Meze 109 than an Ananda v1, and while I think that may make these more palatable for more people, this one's probably not for me. Again though, maybe I need to give these another listen when I'm less tired, more awake...
Awesome thanks for the impressions! I have the Ananda Stealth and have no problem with the cups not swiveling, fits me great. Also another note for you the headband on the Ananda it also scratches when you adjust the height of the headband. It appears Hifiman just doesn't design headband adjustments very well... The only one that doesn't scratch apparently is the crappy one on the Deva, 400se and XS apparently. I don't know why they design them that way. I am just concerned that the Arya Stealth/Organic won't really be that much of an upgrade to the Ananda Stealth. Thanks again for your impressions!

Jul 5, 2023 at 12:31 AM Post #4,883 of 4,994
IMG_4365.jpeg

Tonally they're basically the same headphone. The Mezes are wider, the Ananda Nano is faster - but I don't think there is much more to say about a comparison between these two

Jul 5, 2023 at 1:50 AM Post #4,884 of 4,994
IMG_4365.jpeg

Tonally they're basically the same headphone. The Mezes are wider, the Ananda Nano is faster - but I don't think there is much more to say about a comparison between these two
I know the meze 109, for me was the reason I chose the arya steatlh instead back than.

Because the 109 was still missing something for me and the ananda stealth I did not like. Imho the comfort is better from the meze as well than ananda

If they are almost tonelay alike, I would choose the meze, as a better total package.

Jul 5, 2023 at 1:53 AM Post #4,885 of 4,994
Awesome thanks for the impressions! I have the Ananda Stealth and have no problem with the cups not swiveling, fits me great. Also another note for you the headband on the Ananda it also scratches when you adjust the height of the headband. It appears Hifiman just doesn't design headband adjustments very well... The only one that doesn't scratch apparently is the crappy one on the Deva, 400se and XS apparently. I don't know why they design them that way. I am just concerned that the Arya Stealth/Organic won't really be that much of an upgrade to the Ananda Stealth. Thanks again for your impressions!
The headband of the arya is way better. I had the headband for a week, after that I returned, physically the ananda was hurting my face, and too fragile mechanism. For me that alone would make choose arya. Soundwise they are quite the upgrade too (although some say it is little, which it actually is not)

Jul 10, 2023 at 3:04 PM Post #4,886 of 4,994
I had the opportunity to hear the Stealth/v3 for a few hours the other day. My findings are not that timely, but given I was a hard critic of the v1, its worth a quick word.

Had it on my set, and also a Liquid Platinum (stock) and a new Earman Tradutto off of my CD transport and his Spotify/Apple.

The bass is similar to the earlier versions (even with EQ help under 60 Hz. it's lacking impact) and if you like the treble decay of the HE-500 or HE-6 (all versions) it does seem to lack that sense, but not as notably as the v1.

The big news is from the mid-bass up thru at least 8-9k it was quite flat, and well defined and expressive. Better depth and instrument spacing/definition inside the stage than the v1. Very good on classical and audiophile type stuff. Also it's got less of the upper mid dip of the v1, and the 7k and 9k emphasis of the v1 is also well mitigated.

Lacking the "magic" mids of overly warm HE-500, and the bass impact and sub 60 Hz bass of the HE-6 SE (on my Rag 1, not as much on the LP). It's less colored than the XS which has tuning that is more pleasing too many (bass bump and more treble shimmer). The Anada v3 is also easy to drive.

If I wanted an accurate window with a big stage on the sound for the price ($559 @ Headphones.com), and I didn't have the juice for a HE-6 SE (assuming Adorama pricing in the future), it's a no brainer. The NDH-30 has better bass, and is a bit flatter, it's built better too. But it is $100 more, and it doesn't have the soundstage sizeof the Ananda Stealth. It's the only rival in that price range that I know.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2023 at 3:55 PM Post #4,887 of 4,994
I had the opportunity to hear the Stealth/v3 for a few hours the other day. My findings are not that timely, but given I was a hard critic of the v1, its worth a quick word.

Had it on my set, and also a Liquid Platinum (stock) and a new Earman Tradutto off of my CD transport and his Spotify/Apple.

The bass is similar to the earlier versions (even with EQ help under 60 Hz. it's lacking impact) and if you like the treble decay of the HE-500 or HE-6 (all versions) it does seem to lack that sense, but not as notably as the v1.

The big news is from the mid-bass up thru at least 8-9k it was quite flat, and well defined and expressive. Better depth and instrument spacing/definition inside the stage than the v1. Very good on classical and audiophile type stuff. Also it's got less of the upper mid dip of the v1, and the 7k and 9k emphasis of the v1 is also well mitigated.

Lacking the "magic" mids of overly warm HE-500, and the bass impact and sub 60 Hz bass of the HE-6 SE (on my Rag 1, not as much on the LP). It's less colored than the XS which has tuning that is more pleasing too many (bass bump and more treble shimmer). The Anada v3 is also easy to drive.

If I wanted an accurate window with a big stage on the sound for the price ($559 @ Headphones.com), and I didn't have the juice for a HE-6 SE (assuming Adorama pricing in the future), it's a no brainer. The NDH-30 has better bass, and is a bit flatter, it's built better too. But it is $100 more, and it doesn't have the soundstage sizeof the Ananda Stealth. It's the only rival in that price range that I know.
Thanks for that assessment! Now, I am curious as to what you would think of the Ananda Nano. :)

Jul 10, 2023 at 4:32 PM Post #4,888 of 4,994
Thanks for that assessment! Now, I am curious as to what you would think of the Ananda Nano. :)
I have read its very defined, and perhaps a little sharp. I will look out for the opportunity to hear one for myself.

Jul 11, 2023 at 7:15 PM Post #4,890 of 4,994
Did you heard the HEK v2 Stealth ?
No. The OG HEK v3 (stealth) is pretty bright to me. Like the tuning of the OG HEK v2 better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back