Hifiman Ananda
Feb 1, 2021 at 12:32 PM Post #3,151 of 4,987
Also consider the other way around: putting on the Aeolus after the Ananda is like adjusting your eyes to a very dark, crowded room. I had that experience last night and felt like I needed to mention it :sweat_smile:

Again they’re just so, so different. Like, do you prefer going to small nightclubs or attending large outdoor concerts with ample social distancing? It’s a lot like that. Good luck!
Haha. Both are great! But the way you talk about the Aeolus, makes me want those :).

Feb 1, 2021 at 12:58 PM Post #3,152 of 4,987
Also consider the other way around: putting on the Aeolus after the Ananda is like adjusting your eyes to a very dark, crowded room.

That's actually a pretty good way of describing the Aeolus, very apparent versus Ananda but kinda like it against many other headphones too.

Feb 4, 2021 at 2:33 AM Post #3,153 of 4,987
I've recently joined the Ananda club since last week , my observations so far :

Vs HD660S/HD650 : Unlike the sennheisers I can run the Ananda without any eq at all . It's the first pair (including IEMs) which from scratch sounds perfectly tuned to my tastes (which more or less are on the Harman "neutral" side ).
Except when I'm in the mood for some EDM or dubstep then I'll just add in a 6db bass shelf on my peq.
I've actually testet the bass capabilities further ...with eq there is alot of room to get huge bass out of these cans , enough to make your head rumble in absolute Subbass bliss👍.
Just like the bass, the mids and treble sound more defined , faster , more detailed than the sennys. The tonality is way brighter and less relaxed then the warmer sennheisers, so if you are used to them , expect some fatigue in the beginning.
With the Hd660s I had to use the AutoEQ settings to make them barable for me , these turned them into a completely new set of headphones , including proper Bass and Subbass , way brighter and clearer, too .
Before that they just sounded muffled to me, like listening through a pillow.
Only reason I upgraded is because I gave these to my mum , in my family some older folks ONLY listen to "German-quality" sennheisers, not to any "cheap Chinese knock-off crap" haha ! For me right now it's chi-fi all the way.

So without the need for eq I can actually drive them off my note 8 smartphone (1V output max). The exynos version 3,5mm out was measured with good thd and noisefloor numbers somewhere else. Quite satisfied using them this way, but at home I'm using them with my balanced amp to get some more out of them.
So Hifiman's claim is actually true, unless you need serious headroom for modifications or eq, an averege smartphone is enough to get alot out of these planars ! Pitty there wasn't a transport Box included , but for travel I just stick to my IEMs I guess.

Pitty I can't compare them to any other planars, but it's safe to say I'm quite addicted to them .

Do you guys think a sundara or he400i might have been enough to get a similar nice planar- experience? Over at the ASR forum some guys are suggesting they sound almost the same, but specswise they are totally different, I mean look at that driver size! Can't imagine they are only marginally better than the cheapest planars, I mean they cost ALOT more ! I know of diminishing returns but all I can say is I'm hugely enjoying the Ananda.

The Ananda is definitely better than the Sundara (or different based on your taste). I have know idea how anyone can't hear the difference. And you are very correct, the Ananda is very well tuned. I too, pump up the base using EQ when in the mood. I love my current addictive combo now: Focal Radiance and the Ananda. I go back and forth between them, sometimes on the same day. The Radiance has more base and far more dynamics but are not as clean/clear or spacious as the Ananda. Neither is "better" than the other. They keep each other fresh and exciting. I rotate between my IEMs and headphones so they always sound like I just bought them new.

Feb 4, 2021 at 4:31 AM Post #3,154 of 4,987
My Hifiman Ananda landed today from headphones.com , and I'm very pleased with it. :L3000:

I've only begun listening so I don't really have much to say, except I thought the Hifiman (Adorama) HE6SE was going to ruin me for other new headphones, but no - the Ananda is on a whole other plain of WOW!

I'm very happy with Hifiman right now - 2 perfect amazing headphones in a row from 2 different retailers have very much built up my confidence in Hifiman's current quality quickly.

The fit for me is good, I am over 6' and my head is the right shape for a good comfortable fit - I'm 4 clicks into the adjustment. I could have lived with the default all in setting, but for best sound, I tuned the placement over my ears by trying different alignments to my head/ears and listening carefully.

I hope this helps others thinking of trying them out, also headphones.com has their famous 365-day return policy if it doesn't work out. I'm a new customer, so I haven't tried a return with them, but it is nice to know it's there if I need it.

BTW, I bought my HE6SE V2 with an amazing discount from Adorama, as the new HE6SE V2 is an Adorama exclusive.

The Bass is awesome, even in comparison to the HE6SE V2, it's different, on the Ananda the whole effect is more encompassing - vs the HE6SEV2 being more of a bulldozer the Ananda makes the Bass a part of the whole musical voice. Both are very enjoyable.

As I said, I'm right at the beginning of getting to know both, so take these first comments as such.

My setup consists of a Topping D90 MQA => Xduoo TA-20 Tube/SS Hybrid headphone amp. I also have a Topping A90 headphone amp, but it is cooling off while I get to know the TA-20 on the new headphones.

The TA-20 volume settings for the Ananda are much lower than the HE6SE V2, not a big surprise given the huge power I've heard the HE6SE V2 needs. The TA-20 is advertised to put out 2W @ 32hz, and the HE6SE V2 is 50 ohm - 84dB sensitivity, Ananda 25 ohm - 103dB sensitivity.

Right now I'm listening at higher than average volume levels on the Ananda, and I've got the digital volume indicator shows 60-65, and the same "rocking out" listening level on the HE6SE V2 is 80-85 - with a max of 95 available on the TA-20 volume dial - while 75 is the normal listening level. The Ananda lower level so far has been 35-45 depending on the material, but again I'm still getting to know them both.

Currently listening to an excellent ethereal recording, it introduces many dimensions of sound - including simulated or real recording/tracking noise - it's not your headphones - well it is, but the noise and other unexpected sounds are purposely recorded for our enjoyment:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/in-praise-of-bandcamp.20013/post-658939

I'm listening through Tidal and Amazon Music HD, on the 2nd track:

Bandcamp - Gidge - New Light
https://tidal.com/browse/album/154216500
https://music.amazon.com/albums/B08HGN6DF9
Youtube - Link - youtube fidelity loses the slam and ambiance of the album, that I hear with the Ananda on Tidal and AMHD

I think the Ananda really shows off its stuff with that kind of content...and this is fun too:

Bad Blood - Taylor Smith + large cast of talents
https://tidal.com/browse/video/45388840

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2021 at 7:13 AM Post #3,155 of 4,987
The Ananda is definitely better than the Sundara (or different based on your taste). I have know idea how anyone can't hear the difference. And you are very correct, the Ananda is very well tuned. I too, pump up the base using EQ when in the mood. I love my current addictive combo now: Focal Radiance and the Ananda. I go back and forth between them, sometimes on the same day. The Radiance has more base and far more dynamics but are not as clean/clear or spacious as the Ananda. Neither is "better" than the other. They keep each other fresh and exciting. I rotate between my IEMs and headphones so they always sound like I just bought them new.
I also do the same with my Ananda and Elear plugging them at the same time to the Violectric and repeating songs on both. Different personalities but both enjoyable although I prefer the Ananda.
My Cavalli CTH is on its way, will see how both will fare with tubes.

Feb 4, 2021 at 1:39 PM Post #3,156 of 4,987
Ohhh just received a new product launching announcement.
Temptation and crazy thoughts are going high 🤪
That should be the amp of the gods

Attachments

• C5B02D0D-D39E-4DDC-BF5D-93E2317AEF0D.jpeg
    C5B02D0D-D39E-4DDC-BF5D-93E2317AEF0D.jpeg
    637 KB · Views: 0
Feb 4, 2021 at 2:51 PM Post #3,157 of 4,987
Looks awesome, but that price.....$2,500 :sob:

Feb 4, 2021 at 3:08 PM Post #3,158 of 4,987
Feb 4, 2021 at 10:42 PM Post #3,160 of 4,987
It looks about the scale of the Xduoo TA-20, a little wider to accommodate those transformers, and the 2 - 12AT7, 2 - 12BH7A

McIntosh MHA200 Vacuum Tube Headphone Amplifier (mcintoshlabs.com)
1612496144917.png

MHA200 NEW
2-CHANNEL VACUUM TUBE HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER
Compact footprint: just 6-1/8" (15.6cm) x 9-1/8" (23.2cm)
4 selectable headphone impedance ranges
Balanced and unbalanced analog inputs
Balanced stereo or dedicated Left & Right outputs

McIntosh Announces MHA200 Vacuum Tube Headphone Amplifier - The Absolute Sound

$2500 sounds about right, for a McIntosh :)

" The Unity Coupled Circuit transformers have been adapted to produce 4 headphone impedance ranges of 32 – 100, 100 – 250, 250 – 600, and 600 – 1,000 Ohms at 500mW so that virtually every headphone can receive legendary McIntosh sound quality and performance. "

Too bad, not enough "power".

Feb 4, 2021 at 10:46 PM Post #3,161 of 4,987
It looks about the scale of the Xduoo TA-20, a little wider to accommodate those transformers, and the 2 - 12AT7, 2 - 12BH7A

MHA200 NEW

" The Unity Coupled Circuit transformers have been adapted to produce 4 headphone impedance ranges of 32 – 100, 100 – 250, 250 – 600, and 600 – 1,000 Ohms at 500mW so that virtually every headphone can receive legendary McIntosh sound quality and performance. "

Sure, tear me a new one but that is one of the ugliest amps I have ever seen, an abomination! Reminds me of another time and place:

index.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2021 at 1:04 AM Post #3,162 of 4,987
Would have been awesome with a speaker tab for a complete system
A speaker tab would add a small amount of around $10K 😭😭😭

Feb 5, 2021 at 1:09 AM Post #3,163 of 4,987

1612496144917.png
MHA200 NEW

Now back to planet earth 🙂 any experience with the Ta-20 and Ananda ? I opted for the CTH due to a month delivery time for the TA-20 and an open end rolling while the CTH comes with a decent tube and only bought a Gold Lion & a Tesla 6922 for it to try different amping

Feb 7, 2021 at 1:26 AM Post #3,164 of 4,987
Now back to planet earth 🙂 any experience with the Ta-20 and Ananda ? I opted for the CTH due to a month delivery time for the TA-20 and an open end rolling while the CTH comes with a decent tube and only bought a Gold Lion & a Tesla 6922 for it to try different amping
Yeah, I've been busy listening to the Ananda on the TA-20 mostly, and I haven't been posting, all I've posted is a couple of posts back:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hifiman-ananda.879628/post-16155042

A bit more here, specifically the relative volume required from the TA-20, Ananda vs HE6SE:

"...BTW, the Hifiman Ananda really sounds great on the TA-20, and uses a much lower volume setting than the HE6SE V2 - 60-65 rocking out vs 80-85, and not only sounds as good as the HE6SE V2 it sounds better in a different way - which is great as I was concerned the HE6SE V2 was going to ruin me for other headphones, seriously. But, the Ananda kicks it with Bass and really widens up the sound stage and adds a surrounding sound that other headphones don't have at all.

Xduoo has come out with less expensive hybrid headphone amps, and new models of their DAC/AMP hybrid's, so there is an even wider range of headphones amps to try with tubes.

Not all tube / hybrid amps use the 12AU7, so be sure to check up on the tube types the amp you like uses before buying, and if you are interested in tube rolling check into the availability of stock and variance is available for that tube and its equivalents. "
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...one-amplifier-review.10118/page-5#post-656043

The TA-20 has plenty of power to rock out on the Hifiman Ananda and even on the Hifiman HE6SE V2 - but I am at the "top of the dial" on the HE6SE V2, another doubling of power 4w-5w would help a bit, and a quadrupling 8w-12w might be just right.

It would be fun to compare the CTH against the TA-20 when it arrives.

I see all the TA-20 delivery dates are a least a month out - I think that's all down to the shipping - for "fastest" delivery from China I've found DHL, UPS Express Saver, and Fedex from Aliexpress purchases have worked well.

The best and most reliable company I trust for fast delivery is Hifigo.com, that's where I got my TA-20. They pay close attention to which shipping companies are backed up on the docks and know which are the fastest route - in the ever-changing situation over in China. They've picked DHL, Fedex, DHL and now have used a couple of China based operations that have surprisingly matched the other carriers the last few shipments.

The Hifigo TA-20 shipment used China YunExpress, and it took 8 days to get here:

2020-12-19 03:17 SHENZHEN, Arrived at Sort Facility SHENZHEN (from Hifigo)
2020-12-27 12:59 Delivered (to my door in SFBA)
2020-12-27 12:59 Delivered
2020-12-27 11:42 With delivery courier
2020-12-27 07:30 Arrived at Delivery Facility in SAN FRANCISCO - USA
2020-12-27 06:38 Departed Facility in SAN FRANCISCO GATEWAY - USA
2020-12-27 06:34 Transferred through SAN FRANCISCO GATEWAY - USA
2020-12-27 05:47 Arrived at Sort Facility SAN FRANCISCO GATEWAY - USA
2020-12-27 04:37 Departed Facility in LOS ANGELES GATEWAY - USA
2020-12-26 21:46 Processed at LOS ANGELES GATEWAY - USA
2020-12-26 21:31 Clearance processing complete at LOS ANGELES GATEWAY - USA
2020-12-26 20:16 Departed Facility in HONG KONG - HONG KONG SAR, CHINA
2020-12-26 19:28 Processed at HONG KONG - HONG KONG SAR, CHINA
2020-12-25 06:24 Arrived at Sort Facility HONG KONG - HONG KONG SAR, CHINA
2020-12-25 05:16 Departed Facility in HONG KONG - HONG KONG SAR, CHINA
2020-12-25 02:12 Processed at HONG KONG - HONG KONG SAR, CHINA
2020-12-25 02:06 Shipment picked up
2020-12-22 10:56 SHENZHEN, Departed Facility In processing center
2020-12-21 21:24 SHENZHEN, Shipment has been processed in operational center
2020-12-19 03:17 SHENZHEN, Arrived at Sort Facility SHENZHEN
The longest it has taken from Hifigo.com was early in the pandemic back in March it took 14 days via Fedex, and shortest was in DHL back in mid-November 12-16th, over a weekend!

The CTH uses a different tube, and is single-ended, and although the Ananda takes less power than the HE6SE V2, the Ananda does take more power than "normal" headphones to hit that blossoming rocking out sound. IDK if the CTH will have enough power...as it has 1w @ 50 ohms vs the TA-20 2w @32 ohms.

MASSDROP X ALEX CAVALLI TUBE HYBRID AMP (CTH)
CTH:
  • Frequency response: 20 Hz–20 kHz, -0.2 dB
  • Maximum power, 50 ohms: 1W Rms per channel
  • Output impedance: < 0.5 ohm at 1 kHz
  • THD: < 0.008%, 20 Hz–20 kHz 1 Vrms
  • THD: 0.0014% at 1 kHz, 1 Vrms with 50R load
  • IMD: 0.002% CCIF 1 Vrms
  • SNR: -97 dB, 20 Hz–20 kHz (1 Vrms into 45 ohms)
  • Crosstalk: -85 dv at 1 kHz
  • Topology: Capacitor-coupled tube hybrid using 6922 tube, single-ended
  • Gain: 8x (18 dB)
CTH owners discussions @drop.com

TA-20
  • Output power: Phone: 2,000 mW (32 ohms); XLR: 2,000 mW (32 ohms)
  • Frequency response: 10 Hz–100 kHz (+/- 1 dB)
  • Gain: +18 dB
  • Distortion: ≤ 0.01% (1 kHz, 32-ohm load)
  • Signal-to-noise ratio: 115 dB
  • Headphone impedance: 8–600 ohms
TA-20 owners discussions @drop.com

The CTH was one of the Cavelli headphone AMP's I was looking at buying, I'm looking forward to your reports how the Ananda sounds with it.

This is the other Cavelli headphone amp I was watching for a long time before release:

Monolith by Monoprice Liquid Platinum Balanced Headphone Amplifier by Alex Cavalli
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=33305

That amp was over a year late to market, long after I'd purchased my Topping A90 / D90 MQA, I'd love to hear how it sounds too :)

Here's the reviews at ASR for the CTH and TA-20:

Review and Measurements of Massdrop Alex Cavalli Tube Hybrid (CTH) and JDS O2 Headphone Amps
xDuoo TA-20 Tube Balanced Headphone Amplifier Review

I've been listening to the Ananda on the TA-20 with JJ Electronic ECC802s Gold pin tubes, so far the best next to the PSVANE 12AU7-T MkII's.

The new round of tubes has arrived, and I'm enjoying a very quiet NOS pair from the 1950's: TUNG-SOL JTL 12AU7 Black Glass Gray Plates Early 1950's from Tube Maze on eBay. They drive the Ananda's beautifully. Very quiet, dead silent with the source paused.

Here is a brief list of those Tung-sol Tube's history in the USA:

TUNG-SOL 12AU7 USA
http://www.nostubestore.com/2013/08/tung-sol-12au7-usa.html

After reading the Tube Maze eBay listings and the detailed tube info on their website I decided to take a chance on those NOS tubes, along with a pair of Tung-sol 6189's and new production pair of Genalex ECC82 Gold Pins, neither of which I've tried yet - the Black Glass tubes are supposed to be EMI resistant due to that Black coating inside the tube - working great so far for my setup.

The Ananda is very new to me, it can deliver an almost overpowering experience with the TA-20 different than the overpowering experience with the HE6SE V2. :)

I'm waiting on a new WBC XLR cable pair so I can insert the Topping A90 between the D90 MQA and the TA-20 so I can compare driving headphones with both. The A90 has 3x more power, so it should also help drive the HE6E V2 a bit further.

Please post your listening results from the CTH / Ananda :)

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2021 at 2:08 AM Post #3,165 of 4,987
Yeah, I've been busy listening to the Ananda on the TA-20 mostly, and I haven't been posting, all I've posted is a couple of posts back:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hifiman-ananda.879628/post-16155042

A bit more here, specifically the relative volume required from the TA-20, Ananda vs HE6SE:

"...BTW, the Hifiman Ananda really sounds great on the TA-20, and uses a much lower volume setting than the HE6SE V2 - 60-65 rocking out vs 80-85, and not only sounds as good as the HE6SE V2 it sounds better in a different way - which is great as I was concerned the HE6SE V2 was going to ruin me for other headphones, seriously. But, the Ananda kicks it with Bass and really widens up the sound stage and adds a surrounding sound that other headphones don't have at all.

Xduoo has come out with less expensive hybrid headphone amps, and new models of their DAC/AMP hybrid's, so there is an even wider range of headphones amps to try with tubes.

Not all tube / hybrid amps use the 12AU7, so be sure to check up on the tube types the amp you like uses before buying, and if you are interested in tube rolling check into the availability of stock and variance is available for that tube and its equivalents. "
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...one-amplifier-review.10118/page-5#post-656043

It will be fun to compare the CTH against the TA-20 when it arrives.

I see all the TA-20 delivery dates are a least a month out - I think that's all down to the shipping - for "fastest" delivery from China I've found DHL, UPS Express Saver, and Fedex from Aliexpress purchases have worked well.

The best and most reliable company I trust for fast delivery is Hifigo.com, that's where I got my TA-20. They pay close attention to which shipping companies are backed up on the docks and know which are the fastest route - in the ever-changing situation over in China. They've picked DHL, Fedex, DHL and now have used a couple of China based operations that have surprisingly matched the other carriers the last few shipments.

The Hifigo TA-20 shipment used China YunExpress, and it took 8 days to get here:

2020-12-19 03:17 SHENZHEN, Arrived at Sort Facility SHENZHEN (from Hifigo)
2020-12-27 12:59 Delivered (to my door in SFBA)

2020-12-27 12:59 Delivered
2020-12-27 11:42 With delivery courier
2020-12-27 07:30 Arrived at Delivery Facility in SAN FRANCISCO - USA
2020-12-27 06:38 Departed Facility in SAN FRANCISCO GATEWAY - USA
2020-12-27 06:34 Transferred through SAN FRANCISCO GATEWAY - USA
2020-12-27 05:47 Arrived at Sort Facility SAN FRANCISCO GATEWAY - USA
2020-12-27 04:37 Departed Facility in LOS ANGELES GATEWAY - USA
2020-12-26 21:46 Processed at LOS ANGELES GATEWAY - USA
2020-12-26 21:31 Clearance processing complete at LOS ANGELES GATEWAY - USA
2020-12-26 20:16 Departed Facility in HONG KONG - HONG KONG SAR, CHINA
2020-12-26 19:28 Processed at HONG KONG - HONG KONG SAR, CHINA
2020-12-25 06:24 Arrived at Sort Facility HONG KONG - HONG KONG SAR, CHINA
2020-12-25 05:16 Departed Facility in HONG KONG - HONG KONG SAR, CHINA
2020-12-25 02:12 Processed at HONG KONG - HONG KONG SAR, CHINA
2020-12-25 02:06 Shipment picked up
2020-12-22 10:56 SHENZHEN, Departed Facility In processing center
2020-12-21 21:24 SHENZHEN, Shipment has been processed in operational center
2020-12-19 03:17 SHENZHEN, Arrived at Sort Facility SHENZHEN

The longest it has taken from Hifigo.com was early in the pandemic back in March it took 14 days via Fedex, and shortest was in DHL back in mid-November 12-16th, over a weekend!

The CTH uses a different tube, and is single-ended, and although the Ananda takes less power than the HE6SE V2, the Ananda does take more power than "normal" headphones to hit that blooming rocking out sound. IDK if the CTH will have enough power...as it has 1w @ 50 ohms vs the TA-20 2w @32 ohms.

MASSDROP X ALEX CAVALLI TUBE HYBRID AMP (CTH)
CTH:
  • Frequency response: 20 Hz–20 kHz, -0.2 dB
  • Maximum power, 50 ohms: 1W Rms per channel
  • Output impedance: < 0.5 ohm at 1 kHz
  • THD: < 0.008%, 20 Hz–20 kHz 1 Vrms
  • THD: 0.0014% at 1 kHz, 1 Vrms with 50R load
  • IMD: 0.002% CCIF 1 Vrms
  • SNR: -97 dB, 20 Hz–20 kHz (1 Vrms into 45 ohms)
  • Crosstalk: -85 dv at 1 kHz
  • Topology: Capacitor-coupled tube hybrid using 6922 tube, single-ended
  • Gain: 8x (18 dB)
CTH owners discussions @drop.com

TA-20
  • Output power: Phone: 2,000 mW (32 ohms); XLR: 2,000 mW (32 ohms)
  • Frequency response: 10 Hz–100 kHz (+/- 1 dB)
  • Gain: +18 dB
  • Distortion: ≤ 0.01% (1 kHz, 32-ohm load)
  • Signal-to-noise ratio: 115 dB
  • Headphone impedance: 8–600 ohms
TA-20 owners discussions @drop.com

The CTH was one of the Cavelli headphone AMP's I was at, I'm looking forward to your reports how the Ananda sounds with it.

This is the other Cavelli headphone amp I was watching for a long time before release:

Monolith by Monoprice Liquid Platinum Balanced Headphone Amplifier by Alex Cavalli
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=33305

That amp was over a year late to market, long after I'd purchased my Topping A90 / D90 MQA, I'd love to hear how it sounds too :)

Here's the reviews at ASR for the CTH and TA-20:

Review and Measurements of Massdrop Alex Cavalli Tube Hybrid (CTH) and JDS O2 Headphone Amps
xDuoo TA-20 Tube Balanced Headphone Amplifier Review

I've been listening to the Ananda on the TA-20 with JJ Electronic ECC802s Gold pin tubes, so far the best next to the PSVANE 12AU7-T MkII's.

The new round of tubes has arrived, and I'm enjoying a very quiet NOS pair from the 1950's: TUNG-SOL JTL 12AU7 Black Glass Gray Plates Early 1950's from Tube Maze on eBay. They drive the Ananda's beautifully. Very quiet, dead silent with the source paused.

Here is a brief list of those Tung-sol Tube's history in the USA:

TUNG-SOL 12AU7 USA
http://www.nostubestore.com/2013/08/tung-sol-12au7-usa.html

After reading the Tube Maze eBay listings and the detailed tube into on their website I decided to take a chance on those NOS tubes, along with a pair of Tung-sol 6189's and new production pair of Genalex ECC82 Gold Pins, neither of which I've tried yet - the Black Glass tubes are supposed to be EMI resistant due to that Black coating inside the tube.

The Ananda is very new to me, it's still can deliver an almost overpowering experience with the TA-20. I'm waiting on a cable so I can insert the Topping A90 between the D90 MQA and the TA-20 so I can compare them. The A90 has 3x more power, so it should also help drive the HE6E V2.

Please post your listening results from the CTH / Ananda :)
Thanks for the interesting info and impressions regarding the Ananda TA-20 mating, In fact it was the closest comparison for me including the Liquid Platinum and the CTH, still the CTH made the most logical decision for me due to the below facts:
- It is a simple efficient stripped headphone amp design excluding the balanced inputs and pre-amp extra cost as the original approach by Cavalli
- Having high end RCA shielded cables in short runs eliminate the need for balanced for me
- My Balanced Cambridge CXN output are already linked to my balanced Mcintosh amp
- best in class both in performance and price when it comes Schiit or Liquid Platinum when you don't need balanced connections
- The ability to shine with Planars
- A single tube which the included (Electro Harmonix) stock is not a bad one, the Gold Lion (ordered) will even make it sound better
- Single tube rolling
And finally not being able to wait a month for the TA-20 to arrive :wink:
There is even 1 used CTH now on Amazon for $160 although am against used electronics as I have bad experience in this department.
I will definitely would update you on the mating with the Ananda when I receive the CTH and will compare it with my Violectric amp as well as trying both Ananda & Elear on both amps.
An for tube rolling and any tube you would like to purchase, I would recommend https://tubedepot.com/ very helpful, professional and courteous along with best pricing.
Regarding the LP vs the CTH :

Users who are viewing this thread

Back