Hifiman Ananda
Jan 28, 2021 at 12:12 AM Post #3,121 of 4,987
I had bought open box Aryas last summer, and the upper midrange timbre was way off.. I hadn't bought another open box since, though there have been some pretty good deals. I still don't know if all of that model sounded like that, or if I had been resold a dud.
Buying a used model is a luck game especially with the “open box” label unless it’s officially labeled as “factory refurbished” or “factory reconditioned” as Sennheiser normally label and such products.
When you buy them used or pre-owned meaning someone upgraded and that’s a better chance to have a fully functional cans, companies either sell brand new items or in this case fixed returned malfunctioning or demo items.
A half priced or partially priced item is never worse more than it’s used price, there’s no magic there IMHO

Jan 28, 2021 at 1:07 AM Post #3,122 of 4,987
Yes, I don't know where any of them had been..

Female vocals had a plastic quality with the Aryas that I had disliked, that is to say, there's a certain frequency range where I feel that the timbre is a bit "off"; I hope the Anandas with their newer drivers, don't have that problem.

If my cheap Chinese Shanling IEMs don't work out, I would be happy buying the Anandas for $700, I feel it's a good value at that price. I've seen them on for $599 brand new recently.

Buying a used model is a luck game especially with the “open box” label unless it’s officially labeled as “factory refurbished” or “factory reconditioned” as Sennheiser normally label and such products.
When you buy them used or pre-owned meaning someone upgraded and that’s a better chance to have a fully functional cans, companies either sell brand new items or in this case fixed returned malfunctioning or demo items.
A half priced or partially priced item is never worse more than it’s used price, there’s no magic there IMHO

Jan 28, 2021 at 1:54 AM Post #3,123 of 4,987
Yes, I don't know where any of them had been..

Female vocals had a plastic quality with the Aryas that I had disliked, that is to say, there's a certain frequency range where I feel that the timbre is a bit "off"; I hope the Anandas with their newer drivers, don't have that problem.

If my cheap Chinese Shanling IEMs don't work out, I would be happy buying the Anandas for $700, I feel it's a good value at that price. I've seen them on for $599 brand new recently.
official price for the brand new is $700 and you can get it from amazon direct from Hifiman.

Jan 29, 2021 at 9:18 AM Post #3,125 of 4,987
Still not sure which headphones to get. Ananda, Clear, Aeolus... Damn, all these nice choices.
If Clear is within your budget, GET THE ARYA :xf_cool:

Jan 29, 2021 at 1:33 PM Post #3,126 of 4,987
Hi guys, i have the hipdac and sundara combo and like the sound very much. What i found is just the slight lack of bass. (sometimes i use the bass boost but mostly i rather dont, most of my songs are ok.)

Is the Ananda a better upgrade? I am asking because my gf likes my rig, so i'm planning of giving it to her and get the anandas and another hipdac or equivalent cheaper portable dac/amp for myself (tight budget).

Was thinking of getting an ifi idsd signature to fully flesh out my sundaras but my gf's interest in head-fi is a better investment haha.

It's either this or the new Goldplanar GL2000s but worried of the big change in sound sig.

Jan 29, 2021 at 2:31 PM Post #3,128 of 4,987
Hi guys, i have the hipdac and sundara combo and like the sound very much. What i found is just the slight lack of bass. (sometimes i use the bass boost but mostly i rather dont, most of my songs are ok.)

Is the Ananda a better upgrade? I am asking because my gf likes my rig, so i'm planning of giving it to her and get the anandas and another hipdac or equivalent cheaper portable dac/amp for myself (tight budget).

Was thinking of getting an ifi idsd signature to fully flesh out my sundaras but my gf's interest in head-fi is a better investment haha.

It's either this or the new Goldplanar GL2000s but worried of the big change in sound sig.
I personally prefer the Ananda over the Sundara. It's a significant upgrade. And yes the bass quality and quantity is better.

Jan 29, 2021 at 2:43 PM Post #3,129 of 4,987

" my gf likes my rig, " yes they tend to like a lot of our hobbies before the ring, after the ring they experience a major shift in hobbies and interests :wink: enjoy it while it last

Jan 29, 2021 at 2:58 PM Post #3,130 of 4,987
" my gf likes my rig, " yes they tend to like a lot of our hobbies before the ring, after the ring they experience a major shift in hobbies and interests :wink: enjoy it while it last
Lol, when I try talking to my wife about audio she has this blank stare. Goes in one ear and out the other.

Jan 29, 2021 at 3:05 PM Post #3,131 of 4,987
Still not sure which headphones to get. Ananda, Clear, Aeolus... Damn, all these nice choices.

I've heard the Ananda, Clear and Arya, spent a week trying different headphones. The Ananda was my personal favourite.

The Arya was too grainy and the Clear didn't have the same sub bass quality which the Planars had.

The best way to choose, would be to audition them before buying, especially in these price brackets and above.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2021 at 3:12 PM Post #3,132 of 4,987
Lol, when I try talking to my wife about audio she has this blank stare. Goes in one ear and out the other.
Could be a good thing for them mistaking all headphones as "just a headphone" without realizing the exact price :wink:

Jan 29, 2021 at 3:16 PM Post #3,133 of 4,987
I've heard the Ananda, Clear and Arya, spent a week trying different headphones. The Ananda was my personal favourite.

The Arya was too grainy and the Clear didn't have the same sub bass quality which the Planars had.

The best way to choose, would be to audition them before buying, especially in these price brackets and above.
I was in the same situation between Ananda, Clear, LCD-X and HD800S, ended up in the Ananda thread :)
It does hit a special spot in terms of sound, build and value. am sure nothing can beat it below $1,200

Jan 29, 2021 at 3:19 PM Post #3,134 of 4,987

In my opinion the Clear have better bass extension which is way more visceral and dynamic than the Ananda and the Arya.

Jan 29, 2021 at 3:24 PM Post #3,135 of 4,987
Lately am plugging both the Ananda and Elear to my Violectric amp and keep A/Bing for all genre of music. The Ananda is head and shoulders above the Euro1,000 Elear only maybe for the build, the cable and the attack, the Ananda gives you the feeling of open soundstage with pin pointing precision of musical instrument, The Arya scales better in most the strong points where the Ananda shines but it's definitely not $800 superior by any mean. A $300 maximum difference in audible value.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back