Hifiman Ananda
Jan 26, 2021 at 8:45 AM Post #3,109 of 4,987
Anybody ordered an open-box from Hifiman themselves before? Wondering how much "used" these are...
I ordered an open box BT Ananda expecting it to be nearly brand new. From the looks of it it was “used” a bit more than I would have liked. I emailed them and they said open box includes demos and customer returns. I think it’s a bit of a crapshoot.

Jan 26, 2021 at 8:51 AM Post #3,110 of 4,987
Anybody ordered an open-box from Hifiman themselves before? Wondering how much "used" these are...
Open boxes are either demo units or refurbished defective units but all factory tested and in full working condition.
still not sure if it’s a catch 🙁

Jan 26, 2021 at 9:12 AM Post #3,111 of 4,987
I agree on the likely state of open box from HFM. OTOH, lots of retail outfits sell them "open box" to move the stock. Susvaras for instance, I'd wager at least 50 have gone out from retailers (all combined) since they came out, and in a decent amount of cases the only wear is literally the box is opened. HFM won't allow them to be discounted when new - so you change the status and viola. $3700-3900 gets you an open box can for a $2k+ discount. Chances are retailers have to pay HFM 50-60% of new retail list - so they don't lose any money, and you could get a virtually new can, or worst case you get a broken in can that looks nearly new.

Jan 26, 2021 at 9:32 AM Post #3,113 of 4,987
I recently ordered an open box directly from Hifiman too. Mine arrived absolutely like new, I'd never tell if it had any flaws or blemishes. Absolutely new appearance and technically awesome. The only caveat is that... it smells paint)) A little bit of that wall paint as if it was stored in a newly built storehouse with freshly painted walls. Actually, I'm very sensitive to smells in general, especially chemicals. However, I'm fine with it this time. Many new headphone cases smell worse than that.

Jan 26, 2021 at 10:19 AM Post #3,116 of 4,987

Open box is always a risk. If it's a customer return it likely might be very close to new. Demo units on the other hand will probably look like they've seen a lot of use and may have some cosmetic damage. From a use perspective, if you receive a demo unit I'd likely just buy a new set of pads for the headphones unless the headband looks like it's deteriorating too. Though that would cut into the cost of the open box unit. Luckily you do get to keep warranty regardless which is a nice touch.

I didn't purchase my open box model from HFM, but did get my BT model open box at HeadAmp and the thing still smelled like it was new. It could really be like a lottery at the end of the day.

Jan 26, 2021 at 10:28 AM Post #3,117 of 4,987
The best part is you get the warranty and there is value in that.
It is! But also: new it's only $100 more for an Ananda at the moment and then I can use a coupon for $60. So I'll probably order a brand new one.

Are you still liking yours? I've also had my eye on the GL2000 that is being hyped a lot and the Monolith M1570 that is heavily discounted at the moment. Not sure about which one to get yet.

Open box is always a risk. If it's a customer return it likely might be very close to new. Demo units on the other hand will probably look like they've seen a lot of use and may have some cosmetic damage. From a use perspective, if you receive a demo unit I'd likely just buy a new set of pads for the headphones unless the headband looks like it's deteriorating too. Though that would cut into the cost of the open box unit. Luckily you do get to keep warranty regardless which is a nice touch.

I didn't purchase my open box model from HFM, but did get my BT model open box at HeadAmp and the thing still smelled like it was new. It could really be like a lottery at the end of the day.
Yeah, you're right about the pads. But as I mentioned above you, a new one is only $40 more in the end. So I guess it does not matter anymore, how an open-box looks...

Jan 26, 2021 at 11:22 AM Post #3,118 of 4,987
They also can be customer returns per HFM.
True but fully checked and functional, although am not a fan of used items knowing my crappy luck 😜😜😜

Jan 26, 2021 at 11:24 AM Post #3,119 of 4,987

I never won the lottery so i stay clear 😂

Jan 27, 2021 at 11:36 PM Post #3,120 of 4,987
I had bought open box Aryas last summer, and the upper midrange timbre was way off.. I hadn't bought another open box since, though there have been some pretty good deals. I still don't know if all of that model sounded like that, or if I had been resold a dud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back