Hifiman Ananda
Aug 25, 2020 at 1:47 AM Post #2,641 of 4,987
Hi guys. Anyone uses Ananda w Schiit Asgard 3?
I run Mody 3 MB + Asgard 3 + Ananda. On low gain i have to set the vol pot at 3 o'clock to get enough volume, although Ananda is said to be relatively easy to drive. Is this normal? Should i switch to high gain?

I'd say it's normal. Schiit amps have amazing linearity with their volume control. I have the Lyr 3, and I currently use it on low gain with volume at 3 o'clock. I found that low gain offers less distortion and static than high gain, and this is with a ferrite choke USB cable plugged into an external hub. Only on some tracks do I switch it to high gain, but I always find myself switching back.

Aug 25, 2020 at 3:45 PM Post #2,642 of 4,987
Hi all, just picked up a used Ananda for comparison to my very excellent Deva. Hoping the Ananda offers a little more bass authority. Does anyone have parametric eq settings to share? I'll be using toneboosters. Thanks.

Aug 25, 2020 at 4:55 PM Post #2,643 of 4,987
Hi all, just picked up a used Ananda for comparison to my very excellent Deva. Hoping the Ananda offers a little more bass authority. Does anyone have parametric eq settings to share? I'll be using toneboosters. Thanks.
Congrat’s on getting an Ananda. I hope you’ll post your review.

For eq settings, I listen flat with my tube amp. However, with my THX I’ll peq a little with a little bass bump around 50 for a bigger and low end extension bump, a low mid bump around 780 to give vocals a little “tube-like” authority and pleasantness, and maybe a 15k bump for an extension if I’m in the mood.

I find the Ananda to be pretty neutral and feel those two-three peq setting just make the Ananda “more fun” and less neutral on a ss amp.

Aug 25, 2020 at 5:11 PM Post #2,644 of 4,987

6 band or 10 band? I have the HEX v2 which is quite similar, but still I'd look at the raw RTINGS charts (god forbid the adjusted suggestion which is for bass heads only and people that have a terrible room.

I'd go:

38 Hz +2.8 db Q=1.0 (use the low shelf setting)
150 Hz -1.0 db Q=3.5 (use digital bell 2)

there is a small rise centered at 150. Also it needs a little boost for the bottom.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2020 at 5:13 PM Post #2,645 of 4,987
6 band or 10 band? I have the HEX v2 which is quite similar, but still I'd look at the raw RTINGS charts (god forbid the adjusted suggestion which is for bass heads only and people that have a terrible room.

I'd go:

38 Hz +2.8 db Q=1.0 (use the low shelf setting)
150 Hz -1.0 db Q=3.5 (use digital bell 2)

there is a small rise centered at 150, and it needs a little boost for the bottom.
Thanks to you both. Toneboosters allows 6 or 10.

Aug 25, 2020 at 5:42 PM Post #2,646 of 4,987
Hello all. I just received my Ananda's yesterday. They're breaking in as I'm typing. Been doing so since yesterday evening. I listened to them to get an idea what they sounded like. Treble and mids are awsome right out of the box. Also very textured from top to bottom. I purchased these to use with my Hifi-man HM-650 DAP with the mini-box gold amp. They need more power than what's said. I have to turn the DAP up pretty high. I don't even mind that. Here's where I'm having a problem and I'm asking for some suggestions. I want more bottom end. They sound like I'm listening to an excellent pair of bookshelf speakers. My home sound system, I have Dynaudio Countors, 2.5T's with 2 M&K MX200thx subwoofers. I'm not a bass head but if it's present I definitely want to hear it. My Hifi-man doesn't give me any way to eq sound. Is there any way I can install an eq on the Hifi-man HM650? I hope someone is familiar with what I have and can help me out. Also, does the bass increase with break in? I've been going back and forth about buying these headphones when they came out because I wondered if that would be a problem for me. When I get off from work today, I'm going to gibe them another (this time longer) listening session. I listen to a wide range of music genres. Last night I listened to some jazz wave files. I'm going to play those same 2 songs. One more thing, from the looks of what I'm posting, it looks like it's making it like I'm replying to someone and I wanted to a post. I'm pretty new to the group, so I don't know how to just make a post yet.

Aug 25, 2020 at 6:25 PM Post #2,647 of 4,987
Aug 25, 2020 at 8:45 PM Post #2,648 of 4,987
Hello all. I just received my Ananda's yesterday. They're breaking in as I'm typing. Been doing so since yesterday evening. I listened to them to get an idea what they sounded like. Treble and mids are awsome right out of the box. Also very textured from top to bottom. I purchased these to use with my Hifi-man HM-650 DAP with the mini-box gold amp. They need more power than what's said. I have to turn the DAP up pretty high. I don't even mind that. Here's where I'm having a problem and I'm asking for some suggestions. I want more bottom end. They sound like I'm listening to an excellent pair of bookshelf speakers. My home sound system, I have Dynaudio Countors, 2.5T's with 2 M&K MX200thx subwoofers. I'm not a bass head but if it's present I definitely want to hear it. My Hifi-man doesn't give me any way to eq sound. Is there any way I can install an eq on the Hifi-man HM650? I hope someone is familiar with what I have and can help me out. Also, does the bass increase with break in? I've been going back and forth about buying these headphones when they came out because I wondered if that would be a problem for me. When I get off from work today, I'm going to gibe them another (this time longer) listening session. I listen to a wide range of music genres. Last night I listened to some jazz wave files. I'm going to play those same 2 songs. One more thing, from the looks of what I'm posting, it looks like it's making it like I'm replying to someone and I wanted to a post. I'm pretty new to the group, so I don't know how to just make a post yet.
Congrat’s on your new Ananda headphones.

I don’t know anything about your HFM 650, or what cable you’re using, but have you considered an aftermarket copper cable? A simple cable swap may be your only way to “eq.”

Aug 25, 2020 at 10:28 PM Post #2,649 of 4,987
Congrat’s on your new Ananda headphones.

I don’t know anything about your HFM 650, or what cable you’re using, but have you considered an aftermarket copper cable? A simple cable swap may be your only way to “eq.”

A digital parametric EQ of say 6 or more bands is the only way to EQ any headphone reliably including the Ananda which requires about 6 settings to get to basically flat.

Its true that HFM cables tend to suck, and its advice I give as well to just get a good quality OFC copper cable, but it does not function as anything but a rough and haphazard "EQ" compared to a functioning EQ.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2020 at 12:08 AM Post #2,650 of 4,987
I'd say it's normal. Schiit amps have amazing linearity with their volume control. I have the Lyr 3, and I currently use it on low gain with volume at 3 o'clock. I found that low gain offers less distortion and static than high gain, and this is with a ferrite choke USB cable plugged into an external hub. Only on some tracks do I switch it to high gain, but I always find myself switching back.
Yeah there is a review on audioscience mentioning that Asgard 3 has lower noise on low gain. So yeah ..

Also Asgard 3 is a good match for Ananda imo. Asgard is a bit warm and mid-centric. Helps bring the mids a bit more forward and make the music less dry/analytical. Also Asgard slight rolls off the highs and helps reduce the 8khz spike. The combo suits my likings atm

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2020 at 5:02 PM Post #2,652 of 4,987
Power will require more costly equipment to get a cleaner signal. If money was no object, I would buy a double conversion UPS and have a Panamax power conditioner plugged into that to get clean, constant 120v. Then you have to ensure the cables are up to spec. Even with all this, there is no absolute zero but it is the journey that gives excitement. Peace of mind knowing that you did most if not all you can to improve the sound, at least cabling and power wise.
I agree with you. It's like buying a sports car and putting 87 octane in it. It will not perform to it's optimum,

Aug 26, 2020 at 10:44 PM Post #2,653 of 4,987
I bought some Aryas and, although I rate them highly, I find them just a little bit too bright in the trebles. Can someone please tell me how the Anandas compare in the trebles? Are they slightly less bright than the Aryas?

It's different. The Ananda is hot 7k-10k, but its not Mercury facing the sun bright. The Arya has a hot spot in the 5-6k range, which is pretty nasty. But you can mitigate both with an EQ, OTOH the Arya is well more refined and detailed than the Ananda.

Aug 27, 2020 at 7:36 AM Post #2,654 of 4,987
I bought some Aryas and, although I rate them highly, I find them just a little bit too bright in the trebles. Can someone please tell me how the Anandas compare in the trebles? Are they slightly less bright than the Aryas?
Haven't listen Arya but did lots of research. General opinion Ananda is the smoothest among Hifiman's. Sundara, Arya, HE1000 v2 is brighter.
I'd say Ananda is quite smooth but 3-4k area is a bit hot. This area generally toned down in most headphones. So it might sound hot if you are not used to. 7-10k area is not hot to me in fact high treble is slightly muted. Now i get used to it but i felt air is lacking when i first got them.

I get lots of eq questions. My recommendation is:
1- Add a bit of bass to 20-150hz area. I'm not fan of it though. Stock bass has addicting transparency and detail. Slight increase is enough. 2-3db.
2- Area between 1100-2400hz. This area can use slight increase as well. I feel this area messes the rock/metal performance of this headphone and skews the overall balance because lower mids and higher mids are slighlty elevated. 2-3db is enough.
3- Area between 3-5k can use slighty decrease. 1-2db. I feel this area is hot and make too much contrast with the recessed 1100-2400hz area.
4- Slight increase above 10k is preferable as well. 1 to 3db.

However i don't use eq. Ananda tonality is tasteful.

Aug 27, 2020 at 8:24 AM Post #2,655 of 4,987
Haven't listen Arya but did lots of research. General opinion Ananda is the smoothest among Hifiman's. Sundara, Arya, HE1000 v2 is brighter.
I'd say Ananda is quite smooth but 3-4k area is a bit hot. This area generally toned down in most headphones. So it might sound hot if you are not used to. 7-10k area is not hot to me in fact high treble is slightly muted. Now i get used to it but i felt air is lacking when i first got them.

I get lots of eq questions. My recommendation is:
1- Add a bit of bass to 20-150hz area. I'm not fan of it though. Stock bass has addicting transparency and detail. Slight increase is enough. 2-3db.
2- Area between 1100-2400hz. This area can use slight increase as well. I feel this area messes the rock/metal performance of this headphone and skews the overall balance because lower mids and higher mids are slighlty elevated. 2-3db is enough.
3- Area between 3-5k can use slighty decrease. 1-2db. I feel this area is hot and make too much contrast with the recessed 1100-2400hz area.
4- Slight increase above 10k is preferable as well. 1 to 3db.

However i don't use eq. Ananda tonality is tasteful.
Lso
Amanda's don't need any boost from 90-150 Hz. A chubby midbass really hurts. In fact they need a -1 db cut around that area (detail in post above)

Every HFM can I know needs a boost in the 1.4k to 1.8 k area. Have to be careful as we are in the heart of the mids for fundamentals and harmonics.

Anandas like all planars can need a boost or two in the high treble but they almost all need a cut or two also. So a one size fits all setting above 8k is not optimal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back