Hifiman Ananda
Aug 27, 2020 at 8:45 AM Post #2,656 of 4,987
I bought some Aryas and, although I rate them highly, I find them just a little bit too bright in the trebles. Can someone please tell me how the Anandas compare in the trebles? Are they slightly less bright than the Aryas?
If you don't want/need an EQ - there is something called an in-line notch filter where the worst peak is brought to even via resistors (SE cables only, no balanced). Imo the Arya is the best can new at its price or below. It also has a single audible peak that is annoying beyond most cans. Eliminate that and it still has a lively lit sound (it will never be confused with an Audeze). Poor man's HEK v2

Aug 27, 2020 at 8:48 AM Post #2,657 of 4,987
Amanda's don't need any boost from 90-150 Hz.
In fact i would extend it to 20hz. Ananda sub bass is good if you have good seal but bass is mostly matter of preference so i can see someone wanting more bass. I have the THX 789 amp and it's bass presentation is really clean. I can tolerate some eq if i'm using THX 789 amp but i like the stock tuning more.

Aug 27, 2020 at 12:58 PM Post #2,658 of 4,987
In fact i would extend it to 20hz. Ananda sub bass is good if you have good seal but bass is mostly matter of preference so i can see someone wanting more bass. I have the THX 789 amp and it's bass presentation is really clean. I can tolerate some eq if i'm using THX 789 amp but i like the stock tuning more.

Yes, 0 Hz~40Hz needs a little boost, so does the HE6se. But 150 Hz is the center of a small but audible rise, so adding 3db up to 150 Hz makes it potentially up to +4.2 at 150 Hz based on what you mentioned which is not good - it takes away from impact of low bass and it starts to color low male voices down to bass range instruments.

I've come around on these to probably the best new $700 can out there, but its not perfect. It doesn't have the bass impact of the prime round HFM models, its got a fairly flat depth perspective, it does lack a sense of overtones, it does have some erratic response over about 1.4kHz. It does need an EQ IMO (haven't had a set in my sys yet that doesn't). I would like to hear these on an analog DAC (like my Gumby) and amp (possibly a hybrid tube that can push low impedances), using not stock cables, with a digital parametric EQ - that would probably be pretty good.

Aug 29, 2020 at 9:59 AM Post #2,659 of 4,987
My Ananda arrive today (hopefully). Is anyone running them with something as simple as a BTR5? If so, does it deliver sufficient power. I have a small JDS ATOM/DAC setup but am wondering (hoping) the BTR5 is all I need.

Aug 31, 2020 at 8:10 AM Post #2,661 of 4,987
How do these compare to the 1990 regarding separation and detail?
They are very different headphones so hard to compare. 1990 have elevated treble, fast transients and good dynamics. It's fast, punchy, exciting headphone. These traits make it feel like more detailed and seperated but it's a bit deceptive. Ananda sound more tame and gives effortless real detail, seperation and overall much more information about the recording. Ananda sounds real and raw, earcups are like windows between you and recording. 1990 sounds like headphone. 1990 is more exciting and energetic i love them for rock/metal. Headbanger headphone. Electros have sweet bite, bass have strong punch. Ananda is different league and taste.

Aug 31, 2020 at 9:02 AM Post #2,662 of 4,987
They are very different headphones so hard to compare. 1990 have elevated treble, fast transients and good dynamics. It's fast, punchy, exciting headphone. These traits make it feel like more detailed and seperated but it's a bit deceptive. Ananda sound more tame and gives effortless real detail, seperation and overall much more information about the recording. Ananda sounds real and raw, earcups are like windows between you and recording. 1990 sounds like headphone. 1990 is more exciting and energetic i love them for rock/metal. Headbanger headphone. Electros have sweet bite, bass have strong punch. Ananda is different league and taste.
Damn dude, i feel like you sold me on them already. I have last question - gaming wise how are they?

Sep 1, 2020 at 10:33 AM Post #2,663 of 4,987
Congrat’s on your new Ananda headphones.

I don’t know anything about your HFM 650, or what cable you’re using, but have you considered an aftermarket copper cable? A simple cable swap may be your only way to “eq.”
I'm using the stock cable. Using them this weekend seemed to open them up a bit, in all areas. Still a little light in bass though. What cable would you recommend where as though I don't lose anything else buy get better bass?

Sep 2, 2020 at 12:34 PM Post #2,664 of 4,987
I'm using the stock cable. Using them this weekend seemed to open them up a bit, in all areas. Still a little light in bass though. What cable would you recommend where as though I don't lose anything else buy get better bass?
A few weeks back a bunch of us here had a pretty in depth discussion on cable swapping and a bunch of us swapped our stock cables for after market copper and silver plate copper (SPC) cables. The general consensus is that the stock HFM cables are not good and are actually pretty awful. I swapped my stock HFM cable for SPC as this seemed to be more of what I was looking for over the copper cable. Some of us went with Periapt copper cables and others went with Amazon copper and SPC cables like Newfantasia and Neomusica.

Both the copper and SPC are improvements over the stock HFM cable as aftermarket cables increased detail and clear up mud from the stock HFM cable, get rid of bass boom and blead-over, and really open up the sound like taking a cover off speakers. The SPC offers an extension in the high end and the copper seems more focused on bass.

There is an expensive third option of a solid silver cable, but these are pretty pricey at about $450.00 for a Dragon and around $200.00 for an eBay solid silver cable.

Sep 2, 2020 at 7:47 PM Post #2,665 of 4,987
I agree 100% that the stock cable for the Ananda is trash, so common among HFM cans.

The only HFM made in the last 10 years that I know that prefers silver or SPC cable is the HEX v2.

I think the Anada is better with OFC. It's not as bad as the HEK v1, HE-5LE with silver, but it still IMO give the treble an extra edge that it already has.

Sep 4, 2020 at 12:17 PM Post #2,666 of 4,987
A few weeks back a bunch of us here had a pretty in depth discussion on cable swapping and a bunch of us swapped our stock cables for after market copper and silver plate copper (SPC) cables. The general consensus is that the stock HFM cables are not good and are actually pretty awful. I swapped my stock HFM cable for SPC as this seemed to be more of what I was looking for over the copper cable. Some of us went with Periapt copper cables and others went with Amazon copper and SPC cables like Newfantasia and Neomusica.

Both the copper and SPC are improvements over the stock HFM cable as aftermarket cables increased detail and clear up mud from the stock HFM cable, get rid of bass boom and blead-over, and really open up the sound like taking a cover off speakers. The SPC offers an extension in the high end and the copper seems more focused on bass.

There is an expensive third option of a solid silver cable, but these are pretty pricey at about $450.00 for a Dragon and around $200.00 for an eBay solid silver cable.
Thank you for your help. I definitely need it. That's something I'm going to look into. I want as much detail as possible without giving up bass.

Sep 4, 2020 at 12:19 PM Post #2,667 of 4,987
I agree 100% that the stock cable for the Ananda is trash, so common among HFM cans.

The only HFM made in the last 10 years that I know that prefers silver or SPC cable is the HEX v2.

I think the Anada is better with OFC. It's not as bad as the HEK v1, HE-5LE with silver, but it still IMO give the treble an extra edge that it already has.
You both have definitely made me want to upgrade my cable now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back