Hifiman Ananda
Jul 29, 2020 at 12:54 AM Post #2,491 of 4,987
Heya everyone,
I'm curious about pulling the trigger on the Hifiman Ananda as a birthday gift.
despite the very large price tag that comes with the headphones, i'm going to treat myself.
that being said however, have other people noticed quality control issues with the headphone? after longer years of ownership.
I'm going to be purchasing them through amazon (canada) and wonder if other people have ordered them through amazon.
any feedback would be greatly useful :)
My first set had what looked like a hair laminated onto the Left driver. Contacted Amazon Hifiman Store and they emailed me a shipping label to send them back for a new set. No problem with CS. I choose to deal with things like that happening based on sound quality alone, as even at the Ananda price it's still a pretty good value. I've had several different models of HFM cans (and other MFGs) and would have to spend quite a bit more to get slightly better SQ. I'm thinking about Arya now but can't quite stomach almost double the Ananda.

Jul 29, 2020 at 1:39 AM Post #2,492 of 4,987
My first set had what looked like a hair laminated onto the Left driver. Contacted Amazon Hifiman Store and they emailed me a shipping label to send them back for a new set. No problem with CS. I choose to deal with things like that happening based on sound quality alone, as even at the Ananda price it's still a pretty good value. I've had several different models of HFM cans (and other MFGs) and would have to spend quite a bit more to get slightly better SQ. I'm thinking about Arya now but can't quite stomach almost double the Ananda.
I'm also thinking about Arya. If it's price drops to $1200 and i can manage to sell Ananda at a good price i might buy it.

Jul 29, 2020 at 1:59 AM Post #2,493 of 4,987
I'm also thinking about Arya. If it's price drops to $1200 and i can manage to sell Ananda at a good price i might buy it.

The Ananda's might just be my endgame cans for a while. However OTOH I'm also considering exploring more brands and expanding my collection beyond Sennheiser and HFM. I'm currently doing research on Focal headphones and am looking at the Focal Elex x MassDrop.

Jul 29, 2020 at 2:06 AM Post #2,494 of 4,987
The Ananda's might just be my endgame cans for a while. However OTOH I'm also considering exploring more brands and expanding my collection beyond Sennheiser and HFM. I'm currently doing research on Focal headphones and am looking at the Focal Elex x MassDrop.
Yeah that is also good option. It's nice to taste all brands to see what they offer but i like Ananda so much i just want superior version of it. Ananda feels like trickled down and Hifiman made sacrifices to sell it at a cheaper price and easy to drive. Looking at comparisons, reviews Arya seems like more my cup of tea.

Jul 29, 2020 at 2:14 AM Post #2,495 of 4,987
Effit, it's a race to the finish then. Let me know which of us wins, ha. Seriously though, I just got the Ananda and I want to keep it for at least 6 months to save up and so that I can be prepared for other life events that may happen.

Jul 29, 2020 at 3:27 AM Post #2,496 of 4,987
Short review, and an interesting A/B comparison:

Setup: foobar2000, ASIO output to Schiit Lyr 3 MB w/ Tung-Sol VT-231 round plate black glass tube. Swapped cans back and forth, played songs twice each time.

Track: Johnny Cash - Hurt (FLAC 44.1k, 739 kbps).

HD 700: Sometimes a wider, albeit shorter soundstage is better. The guitar strokes sound extremely realistic. It's as if you are listening 3 inches away from the guitar itself - you can hear the finger release from the string causing it to play a slightly different note (I think the best way to describe this is a natural finish to the note while transitioning to the next note). Vocals are dead center, and the guitar supports his voice. You can literally hear the saliva in his mouth. Distortion appears towards the later end of the track, but that is part of the recording equipment when the song was made and not a fault of our equipment.

Ananda: A taller soundstage unfortunately does not have an effect on this track. The guitars sound closer to Johnny Cash himself. Imagine something like the guitarists on stools sitting 2 feet apart from Cash himself instead of 6 feet. Detail retrieval of the guitar strings and the plucks are not as prominent; it's like you are sitting in the 3rd row of the audience instead of being 3 inches away from the guitars. It's still very enjoyable, but nothing jumps out at you. The saliva in his voice is there, but you have to put in a very slight effort if you want to locate it.

Track: Eagles - Hotel California (FLAC 44.1k, 899 kbps).

HD 700: Soundstage sounds a tad bit artificially compressed? The realism with the guitars that was present earlier has vanished. This may be because its now an electric guitar instead of an acoustic guitar. Some elements are now muddled together like the bass, vocals, and sometimes the guitar, but drums - especially the cymbals - and the shaker (I believe that's what it is) are still well separated. The guitar strum on the right channel at the beginning and throughout the track is there but you now have to put in effort to "make it real". Slight muddiness to the entire track, but nothing terrible.

Ananda: Suddenly, the soundstage just became as wide as the HD 700. The taller soundstage now helps the overall presentation. Cymbals, drums, and the shaker are just as well separated, but the muddiness is now reduced on the bass and vocals. Beginning of track, I now hear another acoustic guitar in the left channel that I didn't notice before? Imaging is superior to the HD 700 - realism-wise, it's now Ananda's turn. The guitar strum on the right channel of the track is much more forward and you can feel it more. Drum rift at 3:51 has so much more impact! Goosebumps.

Overall, for most tracks and genres I prefer the Ananda for imaging and the tall soundstage. For a few select, niche tracks or applications such as FPS gaming, the HD 700 with its wider soundstage is better.

p.s. not sure if short reviews go in this thread.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2020 at 10:24 AM Post #2,497 of 4,987
My E30+THX 789 combo arrived. There is a huge difference at high volume. So my former opinion ''Ananda falls apart at high volumes'' is not valid. Turns out my sbx ae5 soundcard bad at delivering current. It was really good with high impedance Beyer headphones but not with Ananda.

However at more tame volumes difference is smaller. Sad part sbx ae5 have better slam. THX 789 have more smooth and less harsh sound. Being less harsh helps with the detail. Details are more visible. Another difference is soundstage depth and air.

AE5 sounds more closer and thumpy, THX 789 sound more laidback and rich.

Loudness ? interestingly haven't changed much. THX 789 have much more power but there is not much loudness difference. They are same or one of them slightly ahead though i didn't pushed them to the max volume. I think 789 can edge it out when volume knob at maxed.

I want my slam back though more i listen more i realize how good THX 789 is. It's never offensive and harsh. It sounds smooth and liquid without bothering me, it doesn't disturb me if i'm multitasking.

Jul 29, 2020 at 10:47 AM Post #2,498 of 4,987

I'm thinking of the elex as a sidegrade as well for the ananda. I do like my 6xx whenever I wanna listen to vocals, and seems like the elex is an upgrade of that. Just a bit of a shame drop doesn't ship them to where I am and if I really want them I need to use forwarding service and not sure how that would affect warranty as such. The elear is on discount at 500 usd here with an authorised dealer which seems to be a more palatable alternative for me...

Jul 29, 2020 at 11:01 AM Post #2,499 of 4,987
I'm thinking of the elex as a sidegrade as well for the ananda. I do like my 6xx whenever I wanna listen to vocals, and seems like the elex is an upgrade of that. Just a bit of a shame drop doesn't ship them to where I am and if I really want them I need to use forwarding service and not sure how that would affect warranty as such. The elear is on discount at 500 usd here with an authorised dealer which seems to be a more palatable alternative for me...
Some say Elear with Clear earpads better than Elex. Though i don't know where to find and how much to pay for Clear earpads.

Jul 29, 2020 at 11:42 AM Post #2,500 of 4,987
have other people noticed quality control issues with the headphone? after longer years of ownership.
I was part of the loaner tour, and as part of that I got to try out a heavily used Ananda. Despite scrapes and general wear it was still solid in all areas. I also haven't had any issues with my own Ananda after a year of use.

Reading through all of the Ananda & Arya threads it doesn't seem like there are any inherent issues with either headphone. Hifiman evidently had major QC issues early on, but that's no longer observed in their recent headphone lineup. Their QC still isn't perfect, but it's no longer a major issue any more. Also, I must admit their customer service is really good. I've contacted them several times for non QC reasons and they have been excellent every time. I've also seen a few posts of users saying they had QC issues, but customer service always came through the fix the issue.

A price drop could always come at any moment on the Arya's, but I wouldn't hold out for one. The Arya's have been out for nearly two years without a single price drop, wheras the Ananda's have had two already. I think HFM knows they've got the pricing right on the Arya since it's able to outperform other headphones around the same price.

Jul 29, 2020 at 1:15 PM Post #2,502 of 4,987
Short review, and an interesting A/B comparison:

Setup: foobar2000, ASIO output to Schiit Lyr 3 MB w/ Tung-Sol VT-231 round plate black glass tube. Swapped cans back and forth, played songs twice each time.

Track: Johnny Cash - Hurt (FLAC 44.1k, 739 kbps).

HD 700: Sometimes a wider, albeit shorter soundstage is better. The guitar strokes sound extremely realistic. It's as if you are listening 3 inches away from the guitar itself - you can hear the finger release from the string causing it to play a slightly different note (I think the best way to describe this is a natural finish to the note while transitioning to the next note). Vocals are dead center, and the guitar supports his voice. You can literally hear the saliva in his mouth. Distortion appears towards the later end of the track, but that is part of the recording equipment when the song was made and not a fault of our equipment.

Ananda: A taller soundstage unfortunately does not have an effect on this track. The guitars sound closer to Johnny Cash himself. Imagine something like the guitarists on stools sitting 2 feet apart from Cash himself instead of 6 feet. Detail retrieval of the guitar strings and the plucks are not as prominent; it's like you are sitting in the 3rd row of the audience instead of being 3 inches away from the guitars. It's still very enjoyable, but nothing jumps out at you. The saliva in his voice is there, but you have to put in a very slight effort if you want to locate it.

Track: Eagles - Hotel California (FLAC 44.1k, 899 kbps).

HD 700: Soundstage sounds a tad bit artificially compressed? The realism with the guitars that was present earlier has vanished. This may be because its now an electric guitar instead of an acoustic guitar. Some elements are now muddled together like the bass, vocals, and sometimes the guitar, but drums - especially the cymbals - and the shaker (I believe that's what it is) are still well separated. The guitar strum on the right channel at the beginning and throughout the track is there but you now have to put in effort to "make it real". Slight muddiness to the entire track, but nothing terrible.

Ananda: Suddenly, the soundstage just became as wide as the HD 700. The taller soundstage now helps the overall presentation. Cymbals, drums, and the shaker are just as well separated, but the muddiness is now reduced on the bass and vocals. Beginning of track, I now hear another acoustic guitar in the left channel that I didn't notice before? Imaging is superior to the HD 700 - realism-wise, it's now Ananda's turn. The guitar strum on the right channel of the track is much more forward and you can feel it more. Drum rift at 3:51 has so much more impact! Goosebumps.

Overall, for most tracks and genres I prefer the Ananda for imaging and the tall soundstage. For a few select, niche tracks or applications such as FPS gaming, the HD 700 with its wider soundstage is better.

p.s. not sure if short reviews go in this thread.
Thanks for your review. Can I ask what headphone cables were you using in this review?

Jul 29, 2020 at 8:14 PM Post #2,504 of 4,987
My E30+THX 789 combo arrived. There is a huge difference at high volume. So my former opinion ''Ananda falls apart at high volumes'' is not valid. Turns out my sbx ae5 soundcard bad at delivering current. It was really good with high impedance Beyer headphones but not with Ananda.

However at more tame volumes difference is smaller. Sad part sbx ae5 have better slam. THX 789 have more smooth and less harsh sound. Being less harsh helps with the detail. Details are more visible. Another difference is soundstage depth and air.

AE5 sounds more closer and thumpy, THX 789 sound more laidback and rich.

Loudness ? interestingly haven't changed much. THX 789 have much more power but there is not much loudness difference. They are same or one of them slightly ahead though i didn't pushed them to the max volume. I think 789 can edge it out when volume knob at maxed.

I want my slam back though more i listen more i realize how good THX 789 is. It's never offensive and harsh. It sounds smooth and liquid without bothering me, it doesn't disturb me if i'm multitasking.
I have a pretty powerful amplifier (Emotiva BASX a-100) and I can attest that Ananda doesn't fall apart at high volumes. I believe what you were hearing before was your amplifier (or sound card) running out of power and clipping. A powerful enough amplifier will mostly sound dynamic and clear at loud volumes until the headphone drivers start to show signs of distress, but that's usually too loud to listen to. Let's not forget that planars need more current than regular cans to sound their best (vs voltage) and most sound cards and many amps can't provide enough current to go loud and clear. Extra power will also allow the headphones or speakers to sound their best during dynamic musical peaks, usually called "Dynamic Headroom" or "Amplifier Headroom". As far as the sound card having more 'slam', it could be that it has some sort of automatic loudness compensation or EQ, making it sound more appealing at lower volumes and making it sound "better" to general consumers (vs. accurate), but don't turn it up loud because then it doesn't sound very good. Maybe.

Jul 29, 2020 at 11:22 PM Post #2,505 of 4,987
Well,
I’m about to join “Club Ananda”. I’ve been following this and other threads trying to decide which pair of cans to get next. Given the (reduced) price, they represent a virtually unbeatable value proposition. The deal I got from Headamp.com was particularly compelling. If you’re on the bubble, I encourage you to check them out. Tell them Marc sent ya!

Like many here, I am curious about the Arya. Just not sure I’m ready to upgrade my rig so soon to make the best of them. The Kennerton Vali and Focal Elear/Elex are/were(?) contenders. Just wish there as a way to audition all of them at the same time.....

Friday can’t come fast enough.
Marc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back