Hifiman Ananda
Jul 28, 2020 at 12:41 AM Post #2,476 of 4,987
It's strange that they would cheap out on the cable but yet the case itself is designed with luxury in mind.
The "presentation" seems to be trying to keep up with other competitors' "presentations" as high end products. Style points. Real high end is style and substance. I'd rather have substance because I'm not trying to pay a premium for "style". Opposes my "overall value" views and budget, haha.

Jul 28, 2020 at 1:25 AM Post #2,477 of 4,987
It's strange that they would cheap out on the cable but yet the case itself is designed with luxury in mind.
Makes sense to me, Hifiman is probably banking on people either owning other headphones with the same cables or being pulled into the tweaker mentality inherent to high end audio.
I think Fang crams the best drivers into the lowest but still acceptable housing possible to achieve a fairly good performance-price ratio.

Jul 28, 2020 at 1:56 AM Post #2,479 of 4,987
Stock cables are definitely odd but i'm not sure if they are really bad quality wise.
[/QUOTE
They pass the signal from amp to headphones. In that respect they work, but how well? I vote OFC. IDK if the stock cables are but I can tell a difference between the stock cable and a ~$25 Amazon replacement that is OFC.

Jul 28, 2020 at 1:57 AM Post #2,480 of 4,987
They pass the signal from amp to headphones. In that respect they work, but how well? I vote OFC. IDK if the stock cables are but I can tell a difference between the stock cable and a ~$25 Amazon replacement that is OFC.

Jul 28, 2020 at 2:00 AM Post #2,481 of 4,987
Stock cables are definitely odd but i'm not sure if they are really bad quality wise.
They pass the signal from amp to headphones. In that respect they work, but how well? I vote OFC. IDK if the stock cables are but I can tell a difference between the stock cable that doesn't appear to be OFC and a ~$25 Amazon replacement that is OFC.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2020 at 6:59 AM Post #2,482 of 4,987

Well, here is your choice: you get one A, one C, one C-, and one D for grades.

driver: A
pads: C
general construction/reliability: C-
cables: D

If HFM HAS to do it this way, I'll take the driver being an A. Of course they can afford B's and above on everything else if they dropped a bit more of their profit.

Jul 28, 2020 at 12:46 PM Post #2,483 of 4,987
Makes sense to me, Hifiman is probably banking on people either owning other headphones with the same cables or being pulled into the tweaker mentality inherent to high end audio.
I think Fang crams the best drivers into the lowest but still acceptable housing possible to achieve a fairly good performance-price ratio.

If HFM HAS to do it this way, I'll take the driver being an A. Of course they can afford B's and above on everything else if they dropped a bit more of their profit.

I apologize if I wasn't being clear, I meant to say the carrying case or the packaging and not the driver housing. Then I realized that the packaging probably didn't cost too much to begin with since it's leatherette and possibly fake satin lining on the inside so the money saved by cheaping out on the packaging probably isn't enough to cover OFC cabling upgrade while keeping the same profit margin.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2020 at 1:43 PM Post #2,484 of 4,987
I apologize if I wasn't being clear, I meant to say the carrying case or the packaging and not the driver housing. Then I realized that the packaging probably didn't cost too much to begin with since it's leatherette and possibly fake satin lining on the inside so the money saved by cheaping out on the packaging probably isn't enough to cover OFC cabling upgrade while keeping the same profit margin.

Lots of people have had problems with HFM cans minus the driver, cable, and packaging - since before I started paying attention to headphones again in '15. The cheaper ones are worse, but no model escapes the plague...

Jul 28, 2020 at 4:55 PM Post #2,486 of 4,987

I don't believe the 'dropping profits' will take place too much. Could be wrong though, glad they did it with Ananda and Sundara.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2020 at 8:12 PM Post #2,487 of 4,987
I don't believe the 'dropping profits' will take place too much. Could be wrong though, glad they did it with Ananda and Sundara.

They have been awesomely successful. Look at the drivers in the HE-6 and HE-500, years ahead of everyone. But the reason so many have modified them is because the back screen hurt the sound, stators were too big (fuzzor mod), cables had to be upgraded. Look at the good amount of failures and QC screw ups in: 400, 4XX, 560, and other models.

Long term outlook: some won't deal with them because of QC, some because the warranty is not transferable, some because they don't like the sound. I own (or owned) seven of them, so I'm sold regardless of the warranty (only 2 bought new), QC - not seen by me, or the dreadful sound of the HE-5se, and the 4XX (but at least at $170 it didn't promise much, and yes it's a starter can).

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2020 at 10:15 PM Post #2,488 of 4,987
Heya everyone,
I'm curious about pulling the trigger on the Hifiman Ananda as a birthday gift.
despite the very large price tag that comes with the headphones, i'm going to treat myself.
that being said however, have other people noticed quality control issues with the headphone? after longer years of ownership.
I'm going to be purchasing them through amazon (canada) and wonder if other people have ordered them through amazon.
any feedback would be greatly useful :)

Jul 28, 2020 at 10:28 PM Post #2,489 of 4,987
Heya everyone,
I'm curious about pulling the trigger on the Hifiman Ananda as a birthday gift.
despite the very large price tag that comes with the headphones, i'm going to treat myself.
that being said however, have other people noticed quality control issues with the headphone? after longer years of ownership.
I'm going to be purchasing them through amazon (canada) and wonder if other people have ordered them through amazon.
any feedback would be greatly useful :)

My first pair had fitment issues with the driver housing contacting the metal yoke causing it to get scratched and unable to adjust once on my head. This is immediately noticeable. No issues with drivers on the first pair. My second pair is much better with fitment, and no issues with scoring on the driver due to hairs as well. HiFiMan CS is also pretty good; Team HiFiMan (April) should be active on these forums on the lookout for any issues.

I'm also going to assume that Amazon Canada has the same return policy as Amazon USA? If so, definitely go for it.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2020 at 11:09 PM Post #2,490 of 4,987
My first pair had fitment issues with the driver housing contacting the metal yoke causing it to get scratched and unable to adjust once on my head. This is immediately noticeable. No issues with drivers on the first pair. My second pair is much better with fitment, and no issues with scoring on the driver due to hairs as well. HiFiMan CS is also pretty good; Team HiFiMan (April) should be active on these forums on the lookout for any issues.

I'm also going to assume that Amazon Canada has the same return policy as Amazon USA? If so, definitely go for it.
Thanks for that information, I really appreciate it.
I will probably get around to purchasing my first pair of hifimans this august around my birthday. wish me luck on the first pair, hopefully i will only need 1 pair as going to the post office during quarantine is a pain in the butt lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back