Hifiman Ananda
Jul 26, 2020 at 7:29 PM Post #2,449 of 4,989
My Ananda cable arrives in a few days, but my HEXv2 silver plated New Fantasia cable arrived today and I’m using it right now. I think the new cable is a lot different than the stock cable I was using.
In what or which ways? Just curious, others may be also.

Jul 26, 2020 at 7:35 PM Post #2,450 of 4,989
I'd bet the overall tone is a lot brighter. Mids are sucked out, but details are increased. I think I've got the same cable.

-Edit as my original post wasn't clear. I'm referring to the New Fantasia SPC cable. Not sure how it reacts to a hex, but on my Meze 99 Classics it was aggresive in pulling back the mids. With the mids pulled back the overall sound became brighter with more perceived details. It's a fairly typical SPC sound, which really only benefits overly warm headphones.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2020 at 8:22 PM Post #2,452 of 4,989
In what or which ways? Just curious, others may be also.
Okay, to begin, I’m using the New Fantasia cable ($43 on Amazon) on the HEXv2 and not the Ananda as my Ananda cable (same cable) is not here yet. Second, I’ve only used the new cable on my tube amp, not my ss. All songs are flac and wav.

I was using the HFM stock cables for the Ananda and the HEXv2 as these are the only 1/4 cables I have. The Ananda is 3.5mm and the HEXv2 is 2.5mm, which is why I purchased two new cables. The stock cables for the Ananda and the HEXv2 seem like the same HFM stock copper “condom” cables. I listen flat, no eq.

I listened to the HEXv2 with the stock HFM cable for a while before I switched to the new cable so I could hear any differences, if there were any. To my complete surprise, the HEXv2 sounded like a completely different headphone. To my ears, the HFM stock copper cable is the exact opposite of the silver plate cable. The stock HFM cable is: low in detail, big in bass, somewhat big in lower mids, low in the high end, low in space and depth, and different in breath. The silver plate cable is: very tight and detailed, faster headphone feel, faster and not so big in bass, mids are mixed as they are still GREAT and faster and different, the high end is a lot more and extended, the space is bigger, the depth is bigger, and the breath is different and bigger. The headphones sounds like a different headphone.

I’m trying to think of how to phrase this: but I think it’s that I will not be able to go back to the stock HFM cable because of the lack of detail and I think the stock HFM cable will sound like mud after listening to the silver plate cable. Detail and snap. A completely different headphone.

I’ve been listening while typing this and I’m actually quite surprised and pleased. Very open sound. The stock HFM cable sounds dull compared to this snappy cable. I’ve never heard my HEXv2 sound like this – fast, quick, snappy, high end restored over the copper cable. The HEXv2 honestly sounds like a different headphone.

I may have repeated myself a few times, but I’m listening and typing what I’m hearing.

I really like it and my HEXv2 has never sounded like this.

Jul 27, 2020 at 1:05 AM Post #2,454 of 4,989
Okay, to begin, I’m using the New Fantasia cable ($43 on Amazon) on the HEXv2 and not the Ananda as my Ananda cable (same cable) is not here yet. Second, I’ve only used the new cable on my tube amp, not my ss. All songs are flac and wav.

I was using the HFM stock cables for the Ananda and the HEXv2 as these are the only 1/4 cables I have. The Ananda is 3.5mm and the HEXv2 is 2.5mm, which is why I purchased two new cables. The stock cables for the Ananda and the HEXv2 seem like the same HFM stock copper “condom” cables. I listen flat, no eq.

I listened to the HEXv2 with the stock HFM cable for a while before I switched to the new cable so I could hear any differences, if there were any. To my complete surprise, the HEXv2 sounded like a completely different headphone. To my ears, the HFM stock copper cable is the exact opposite of the silver plate cable. The stock HFM cable is: low in detail, big in bass, somewhat big in lower mids, low in the high end, low in space and depth, and different in breath. The silver plate cable is: very tight and detailed, faster headphone feel, faster and not so big in bass, mids are mixed as they are still GREAT and faster and different, the high end is a lot more and extended, the space is bigger, the depth is bigger, and the breath is different and bigger. The headphones sounds like a different headphone.

I’m trying to think of how to phrase this: but I think it’s that I will not be able to go back to the stock HFM cable because of the lack of detail and I think the stock HFM cable will sound like mud after listening to the silver plate cable. Detail and snap. A completely different headphone.

I’ve been listening while typing this and I’m actually quite surprised and pleased. Very open sound. The stock HFM cable sounds dull compared to this snappy cable. I’ve never heard my HEXv2 sound like this – fast, quick, snappy, high end restored over the copper cable. The HEXv2 honestly sounds like a different headphone.

I may have repeated myself a few times, but I’m listening and typing what I’m hearing.

"The stock HFM cable sounds dull compared to this snappy cable..." I don't have the Silver NewFantasia cable, I've got the regular OFC type. Still, even the OFC cable sounds better than the stock cable up top and bass-wise. To me it has a more open and detailed treble and more of a solid bass foundation, IMO. IDK if the stock cable is OFC, looks like dull copper through the sheath to me. Non-OFC copper can have more resistance and that can affect sound quality, esp. treble...coming from a former Electrician and current hobbyist.

Jul 27, 2020 at 1:08 AM Post #2,455 of 4,989
The way I see it, the $22 NeoMusicia cables are one of those "screw it, I need this now otherwise I don't have working headphones" kind of purchase. Personally I wouldn't buy them with the expectation of an upgrade to the sound.
Might be a "screw it" type of purchase but still not worse than the stock cable. May be notably better than stock, IMHO.

Jul 27, 2020 at 1:12 AM Post #2,456 of 4,989

Matches closely with my experiences listening to this budget but decent cable. Seems well built also. -E

Jul 27, 2020 at 1:17 AM Post #2,457 of 4,989
I'd bet the overall tone is a lot brighter. Mids are sucked out, but details are increased. I think I've got the same cable.

-Edit as my original post wasn't clear. I'm referring to the New Fantasia SPC cable. Not sure how it reacts to a hex, but on my Meze 99 Classics it was aggresive in pulling back the mids. With the mids pulled back the overall sound became brighter with more perceived details. It's a fairly typical SPC sound, which really only benefits overly warm headphones.
Let us not forget about synergy with existing equipment (mainly amps), and the varying impedances of dynamic cans (Meze) vs the linear Z of planars (Ananda).

Jul 27, 2020 at 1:01 PM Post #2,458 of 4,989
How does any cable enhance the sound quality unless the original calbe was severely defective to begin with? Honest question here, not trying to start an argument. I can understand if you wanted better aesthetics or durability, that's what I'm looking for. I don't expect any improvement in the sound. Is there any research that shows otherwise?

Jul 27, 2020 at 1:08 PM Post #2,459 of 4,989
I have the Ted Allen Silver Litz on my HEX v2 now, I wasn't the original owner, he used and sold me the Arctic Cardas cables.

First off the stock stuff is pure trash. Honestly.

The Artic Cardas is nice, bit darker, than the Allen. But the Cardas is kind of meek in the high end, not much sparkle.

Before I became a EQ head, i figured I'd try Silver. It's got more sparkle, it seems to be more open. But it's not hugely better. Frankly installing nuggets did more. And EQ'ing did more than copper -> silver + nuggets. The stock stuff is so vomit inducing I will not waste my time testing it. Just if you buy any HFM after HE-6 screw, the cable gets worse over time, and the pads do too - the nadir which is the HE6 stock pad, what a piece of utter rubbish. Good think the drivers are so great.

Jul 27, 2020 at 1:13 PM Post #2,460 of 4,989
How does any cable enhance the sound quality unless the original calbe was severely defective to begin with? Honest question here, not trying to start an argument. I can understand if you wanted better aesthetics or durability, that's what I'm looking for. I don't expect any improvement in the sound. Is there any research that shows otherwise?

That's definitely complicated. There's a long standing debate as to whether or not cables change the sound. The debate is very well summarized on the following site, so I won't re-hash anything here:
https://www.headphonesty.com/2018/06/do-expensive-cables-really-matter/

Now, for those that claim to hear a sound difference in cables, you can think of the cables as a fixed hardware equalizer. The conductor, plugs, and other materials usually impart a specific sound signature. In general high quality copper is neutral, and pure silver or silver plated copper (SPC) is brighter than neutral. So if you have a darker or warmer than neutral setup, using silver or silver plating can equalize the sound back to neutral. That's overly simplified though, pure silver or SPC can also help bring out additional details due to perceived clarity, and other effects. Two copper cables may also sound different from each other depending on the quality of the copper and other materials in the cable. Whether or not any changes from one cable to another are beneficial, that's up to the listener to decide.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back