Hifiman Ananda
Jun 20, 2019 at 9:02 AM Post #1,231 of 4,987
Jun 20, 2019 at 7:05 PM Post #1,233 of 4,987
I know this is the wrong thread, I just modded my HE-400S to have sheepskin earpads XL from brainwavz with double sided tape. OMG BOYS OMG!!!!! $100 used headphone + $40 earpads = beats Sundara in fun factor and nearly matches in clarity, and decimates in bass and sub bass. HE400S has no bass??? y'all crazy, you just need that sheepskin boys!!!!! woooooo! hifiman!!!!! listen to me!!!! HE400S with full sheepskin slams!!!!!! 10/10 all time fav headphone now. doesn't beat Ananda in imaging and clarity, but comes close... and EDM - the fun factor does beat Ananda.

spotify uri code - this song spotify:track:5y8HrpAZy3D6WHmchWlnmx - EDM --- bass slams!!!! wow... I am stunned at the clarity, and just overall fun factor... just wish I could get my hands on some Dekoni fenestrated sheepkin pads now, but $70 for pads on a $100 used headphone, nah thanks bruh

1a689c4e8f.png

Given the Audeze lines use of very tight coupling - and copious bass - I tried to do the same with: MD 4XX, HE-500, HE-6, MD X00

With the 400, I used a tube of plastic inside the pad, along the outside bottom edge. They got brighter because they got farther from the ear. They also got a huge boost from the mid bass down. The problem was over time I started to realize it wasn't musical. The boost was more here, less there. And at volume they seemed to beat on my ears with this 'closed' pressure that's akin to the Audeze.

The 500 I tried taping it down. It was also high pressure, so I cut it up, so it was about 50/50 with about 6 small strips of tape and six lengths with nothing. That was better, but I stopped experimenting. I'll restart because I've lost bass under 60 Hz with my other mods.

The 6 doesn't need any help and even using the pads from 500 with the 50/50 tape it was too much bass.

the MD X00 is already bassy enough, they were not good with 100% or even 50% tape.

I'd like to try it with the Fostex FH500RP which is desperately in need of bass.

Jun 27, 2019 at 6:33 AM Post #1,236 of 4,987
okay good .. I like Ananda
but ... and here I need help
I tried to amplify them with fiio Q5, nothing, it sounds low bass
I tried with the expressive feliks mkii but sometimes it distorts a little

so I convinced myself that we need an amplifier to dedicate to him
and here I need help, I am undecided between:
1) Lake people G103 / 109
2) Violetric V200 (but it costs a lot)
3) Schiit Jotunheim
4) Head amp Gilmore lite mk2
others ?
thank you

Jun 27, 2019 at 9:14 AM Post #1,237 of 4,987

3) Schiit Jotunheim
others ?
thank you
I am using a lowly JDS Atom with good AKM DAC. Works fine. Only $99 lol

I really believe headphone amplification is long "solved" and doesn't need kilobucks....

Jun 27, 2019 at 9:44 AM Post #1,239 of 4,987
Thx for reply
I live in italy , jds is not easy to find
Hi, I'm also from Europe. I ordered here. 130euro incl shipping. http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/jds-labs-atom-headphone-amplifier.html
but I'm afraid, I bought when 1 unit in stock :D Now you can pre-order next batch. But for 130euro, very big value. It is as powerful as single-ended THX AAA(<- VERY hard to find due to scarcity). Balanced is not necessary for Ananda, single ended at max power is more than enough (ear-bleedingly so).

I really recommend Atom for value. You can look for used THX too https://www.hifishark.com/search?q=thx+aaa+massdrop
I see one on ebay and one on swedish forum

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2019 at 11:22 AM Post #1,240 of 4,987

3) Schiit Jotunheim
others ?
thank you

I'd get the THX amp everyone is raving about (zeos, metal571, and it instantly sells out every time it goes in stock on massdrop so good luck getting one), either the one from Monoprice or Massdrop, they are similar.

if want to save money, I'd also recommend the Atom amp.

Jun 27, 2019 at 12:59 PM Post #1,241 of 4,987
I'd get the THX amp everyone is raving about (zeos, metal571, and it instantly sells out every time it goes in stock on massdrop so good luck getting one), either the one from Monoprice or Massdrop, they are similar.

if want to save money, I'd also recommend the Atom amp.

I use mine with the thx 789 paired with a modi 3 and the sound is just wonderful together. In my own testing I find that this amp is better than the jotenheim, magni 3, arcam rhead, and Astrel & Kerns l1000.

The thx 789 simply spits out more detail than the above amps, this is something I didn’t think was at all possible. It has more “hi-fi shimmer” and brings the Ananda a lot closer to the he-1000 v2 I tried, especially for acoustic instruments. It also manages to give the Ananda even more bass.

To be honest the thx 789 paired with a modi 3 even sound sounds better than the rme-adi2 using its own built in amp.

I’m beginning to wonder if all the complaints about the Ananda are simply because they heard them improperly amped.

Jun 27, 2019 at 2:29 PM Post #1,242 of 4,987

3) Schiit Jotunheim
others ?
thank you
I recommend matrix M-Stage hpa-3b. detailed, transparent, with a warm bias. I personally liked the combination with Anand.

Jun 27, 2019 at 3:13 PM Post #1,244 of 4,987
I use mine with the thx 789 paired with a modi 3 and the sound is just wonderful together. In my own testing I find that this amp is better than the jotenheim, magni 3, arcam rhead, and Astrel & Kerns l1000.

The thx 789 simply spits out more detail than the above amps, this is something I didn’t think was at all possible. It has more “hi-fi shimmer” and brings the Ananda a lot closer to the he-1000 v2 I tried, especially for acoustic instruments. It also manages to give the Ananda even more bass.

To be honest the thx 789 paired with a modi 3 even sound sounds better than the rme-adi2 using its own built in amp.

I’m beginning to wonder if all the complaints about the Ananda are simply because they heard them improperly amped.

I think every complaint about ever headphone ever is amp/dac related. It's all about synergy. Everyone says Beyerdynamic T90 sucks, but I finally paired it with my starving student amp and it sounded like heaven. My current favorite headphones are the HE400S though.

Jun 27, 2019 at 3:33 PM Post #1,245 of 4,987
And here I am, not able to tell a difference on my Anandas, between: JDS Labs Atom (solid state), MG Head DT (vac tube), and iPhone output. Amping is overrated as far as I can tell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back