Hifiman Ananda
Jul 12, 2018 at 5:35 PM Post #286 of 4,987
How would these compare to the HE-500's and HE-6. I own the 500's and considering buying another HE-6 when I find them for a decent price. My only issue with HE-6 is how much effort it takes to bring out the best in them... As a student living in a residence hall/small apartment, the required setup of heavy Speaker amps making the HE-6 somewhat troublesome...

HE-6's seem to be tough to find these days unless you want to bleed. Why do you need a heavy speaker amp for the HE-6? You said you are looking for another HE-6. so you must have something to drive them with.

But yes, I want some comps with the HE-500, even the HE-6 which I have never heard but read a lot about.

Jul 12, 2018 at 7:01 PM Post #287 of 4,987
HE-6's seem to be tough to find these days unless you want to bleed. Why do you need a heavy speaker amp for the HE-6? You said you are looking for another HE-6. so you must have something to drive them with.

But yes, I want some comps with the HE-500, even the HE-6 which I have never heard but read a lot about.

The "best" money-saving option for the HE-6 seem to be vintage speaker Amps/Receivers with lots of juice to power the hungry beast. I have one at home but sadly..... These things are like 25 pounds minimum usually or even way more. I don't have the HE-6 anymore because I sold them to fund my computer purchase after my college laptop took its last breath. I'm just looking for another to do it justice.

Jul 12, 2018 at 9:40 PM Post #288 of 4,987
The "best" money-saving option for the HE-6 seem to be vintage speaker Amps/Receivers with lots of juice to power the hungry beast. I have one at home but sadly..... These things are like 25 pounds minimum usually or even way more. I don't have the HE-6 anymore because I sold them to fund my computer purchase after my college laptop took its last breath. I'm just looking for another to do it justice.

As you know, I recently got HE-6 and have an A-100 Emotive on the way. That is a budget friendly way to get massive power to them, I'll see how it goes vs my other setups (which are great).

The Jotenheim in balanced mode with the HE-6 is amazing, period. But everyone says speaker amp and mega watts of headroom for the HE-6. I can imagine they have unlocked potential, they are just insane sounding headphones. They are the best headphone I have ever heard, hands down, (probably yours too?) and that's without any speaker amp driving them.

From what I understand the newer Hifiman headphones don't go all out for that thrilling, viseral, adrenaline pumping sound the HE-6 is so well known for... at least from what I've read the X, HE-1000, 560, etc don't have that aggressive powerful attack of the HE-6, which is what I love most in a headphone. I want a headphone to make my jaw drop!

From reading it doesn't seem Sundara or Ananda really have that aggressive characteristic in spades either. I don't know, I haven't heard all these so I can't say with a degree of accuracy. They are probably amazing in other areas but I don't know if you are looking for a headphone that attacks you with sound, if there is better than the 6.

The reason is I listen to a lot of EDM and Electonic music where you really want that fast and aggressive attack. But then switch them to vocal tracks, and their clarity and nuanced resolve is stunning.

I could imagine it would be hard to find someone who's heard all these as the Ananda's are so new and the 6's are getting harder and harder to find nowadays.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2018 at 12:19 AM Post #289 of 4,987
As you know, I recently got HE-6 and have an A-100 Emotive on the way. That is a budget friendly way to get massive power to them, I'll see how it goes vs my other setups (which are great).

The Jotenheim in balanced mode with the HE-6 is amazing, period. But everyone says speaker amp and mega watts of headroom for the HE-6. I can imagine they have unlocked potential, they are just insane sounding headphones. They are the best headphone I have ever heard, hands down, (probably yours too?) and that's without any speaker amp driving them.

From what I understand the newer Hifiman headphones don't go all out for that thrilling, viseral, adrenaline pumping sound the HE-6 is so well known for... at least from what I've read the X, HE-1000, 560, etc don't have that aggressive powerful attack of the HE-6, which is what I love most in a headphone. I want a headphone to make my jaw drop!

From reading it doesn't seem Sundara or Ananda really have that aggressive characteristic in spades either. I don't know, I haven't heard all these so I can't say with a degree of accuracy. They are probably amazing in other areas but I don't know if you are looking for a headphone that attacks you with sound, if there is better than the 6.

The reason is I listen to a lot of EDM and Electonic music where you really want that fast and aggressive attack. But then switch them to vocal tracks, and their clarity and nuanced resolve is stunning.

I could imagine it would be hard to find someone who's heard all these as the Ananda's are so new and the 6's are getting harder to find nowadays.

I've listened to all of those :) The ananda seems like the bests of the 560 and the HEX V2 to me, the 560 was a bit sharp in the treble and the HEX was laid back a bit, both with great bass extension, the Ananda takes those and it's in the middle. When it comes to vs the HE-6 it's not as strong of an attack for sure and the bass on the HE-6 is stronger but both just as extended. Ananda is the closest to HE-6 out of their newest phones IMO. I listen to mostly EDM and I'm quite happy w/ the Ananda (found the HE-6 a bit sharp in the treble for me, i'd be curious about further mods but I did a few simple and easy to undo ones) but YMMV.

Quick edit though, if you do like a slightly more laid back sound go for the HEX V2 instead of the Ananda, after a few months there can be occasional treble peakiness similar to HE-560 but overall I personally prefer the Ananda.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2018 at 12:38 AM Post #290 of 4,987
From the offical spec, the sundara is the successor of he560 and he400i. Ananda uses the same generation of diaphram tech as sundara and the other parts should be more like edx v2. The sound is said to have he1000 features.
I demoed sundara and edx v2 and i like them both. I am in China and the edition x v2 is out of stock so i just ordered the ananda for $750. The list price was $1000 in China back to the time it's announced but now it's $940 because the currency value change. Although I got it as a personal discount, i think if you wait for several months you can finally get this price. Hifiman decreased their product prices so often.

Jul 13, 2018 at 10:59 AM Post #292 of 4,987
do we think the ananda can compete with some audeze models?
Not sure compete is the best way to describe it. Both have excellent options in their line. But in my experience the sound signatures are quite different between the two brands. So more a factor of what flavor you prefer. IME. I may be unaware of some models that do have comparable signatures.

Jul 13, 2018 at 11:08 AM Post #293 of 4,987

Hi, it is very interesting that you phrase your question like that.
I think anyone looking at Headphones at this level could afford to purchase from either brand as the price points are very similar, so it's not a matter of one being able to compete or not.
One of the most important factors for me is the Sound Quality, but very close second is comfort, and everything thing that I have read to date has indicated that the Audeze's (LCD-X, LCD-2) that I was interested in were too heavy and could become uncomfortable over time, that is in fact the deciding factor that got me looking at the HiFiMAN Edition X V2, Once the Ananda was released it was kind of a no brainer for me.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2018 at 11:39 AM Post #294 of 4,987

Totally different tuning and flavors.

But in terms of tonal accuracy, even the Sundara and HE-500 handily beat all Audeze models to my ears including the LCD-4 which I have owned. In terms of general technical performance (transparency, detail retrieval, separation/layering, imaging, sound stage, treble extension but obviously not bass extension), the Sundara outclasses any LCD-2 and perhaps the LCD-3. The Ananda ought to far exceed the LCD-3 in those regards.

Jul 13, 2018 at 12:06 PM Post #296 of 4,987

Well tastes differ, but I think the Sundara beats either of the LCD-2's I have heard, and the HE-500 is in many ways better then the 3, so yes.

And no I didn't write this after seeing the post two above.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2018 at 12:12 PM Post #297 of 4,987
I've listened to all of those :) The ananda seems like the bests of the 560 and the HEX V2 to me, the 560 was a bit sharp in the treble and the HEX was laid back a bit, both with great bass extension, the Ananda takes those and it's in the middle. When it comes to vs the HE-6 it's not as strong of an attack for sure and the bass on the HE-6 is stronger but both just as extended. Ananda is the closest to HE-6 out of their newest phones IMO. I listen to mostly EDM and I'm quite happy w/ the Ananda (found the HE-6 a bit sharp in the treble for me, i'd be curious about further mods but I did a few simple and easy to undo ones) but YMMV

Yes, the 560 is too bright. Good news that the Ananda can at least stand up to the legendary HE-6 in your opinion.

Jul 13, 2018 at 12:38 PM Post #298 of 4,987
We Hifiman Fan boys in here... lol!

I'm sure I seem like one but no. I would just like to point out that I have spent more money on Audeze than HiFiMan, prefer Audeze's as a company due to their outstanding customer support and less controversial practices. I own zero headphones from both companies right now. If the LCD-4 had the treble of the HE1000/HE1000 V2 or perhaps SUSVARA (being realistic here because Stax treble > all) it would be my favorite headphone.

But their lower treble or upper mid range recession just ruins all the realism to my ears on their entire LCD lineup, particularly by making vocals sound unnaturally but partially recesseed, and doing the same to pianos and other sounds.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2018 at 3:28 PM Post #299 of 4,987
I'm sure I seem like one but no. I would just like to point out that I have spent more money on Audeze than HiFiMan, prefer Audeze's as a company due to their outstanding customer support and less controversial practices. I own zero headphones from both companies right now. If the LCD-4 had the treble of the HE1000/HE1000 V2 or perhaps SUSVARA, it would be my favorite headphone.

But their lower treble or upper mid range recession just ruins all the realism to my ears on their entire LCD lineup, particularly by making vocals sound unnaturally but partially recesseed, and doing the same to pianos and other sounds.
Gotcha, but thats easy to do, as Audeze are more expensive than hifiman. ive had good luck with customer service with both companys.

Jul 13, 2018 at 4:55 PM Post #300 of 4,987
I'm sure I seem like one but no. I would just like to point out that I have spent more money on Audeze than HiFiMan, prefer Audeze's as a company due to their outstanding customer support and less controversial practices. I own zero headphones from both companies right now. If the LCD-4 had the treble of the HE1000/HE1000 V2 or perhaps SUSVARA (being realistic here because Stax treble > all) it would be my favorite headphone.

Have you tried Sonarworks? It might be nothing more than EQ but it has a serious effect on what you're referring to. I think most if not all headphones kind of sound like crap without being flattened, the HEXv2 very much included. LCD-X and HD800S from direct experience as well. Focal might be the exception but for me they sound unacceptable for a different reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back