Hifiman Ananda
Jul 13, 2018 at 5:07 PM Post #301 of 4,987
Have you tried Sonarworks? It might be nothing more than EQ but it has a serious effect on what you're referring to. I think most if not all headphones kind of sound like crap without being flattened, the HEXv2 very much included. LCD-X and HD800S from direct experience as well. Focal might be the exception but for me they sound unacceptable for a different reason.

Not Sonarworks, only parametric EQ with EqualizerAPO. I will try Sonarworks though.

Jul 13, 2018 at 5:07 PM Post #302 of 4,987
Have you tried Sonarworks? It might be nothing more than EQ but it has a serious effect on what you're referring to. I think most if not all headphones kind of sound like crap without being flattened, the HEXv2 very much included. LCD-X and HD800S from direct experience as well. Focal might be the exception but for me they sound unacceptable for a different reason.

Agree that EQ is really powerful tool for refinement. However, I wouldn't use Audeze cans as a base for EQing which requires you to use headphones with a computer. Audeze cans are well known for their weight, you know LCD-X boasts 600g. There are many good 300g-400g offerings from Senn, Hifiman, MrSpeakers. Ananda is very light and comfortable, though comfort of hd800s can't be matched by any others.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2018 at 5:19 PM Post #303 of 4,987
Not Sonarworks, only parametric EQ with EqualizerAPO. I will try Sonarworks though.

A number of us have been impressed with Sonarworks. The thing is I'm not sure what headphones you have at this point to try it with. Presently it also supports a limited number. For instance, only the LCD-2 and LCD-X from Audeze, and 400i and 560 from Hifiman. I can tell you that with the LCD-X you'll definitely get an improvement in upper midrange and lower treble. Vocals will be clearer and brought more in line.

Agree that EQ is really powerful tool for refinement. However, I wouldn't use Audeze cans as a base for EQing which requires you to use headphones with a computer. Audeze cans are well known for their weight, you know LCD-X boasts 600g. There are many good 300g-400g offerings from Senn, Hifiman, MrSpeakers. Ananda is very light and comfortable, though comfort of hd800s can't be matched by any others.

I'm not talking about refinement here. I'm talking about your expensive headphones not sounding kind of like crap. I'm well aware of how the LCD-X feels. I have a recently produced one with the new headband. It doesn't feel that heavy. The issue for me is that the metal piece of the headband is very close to the leather one or whatever it's made from and I get pressure/some pain on the top of my head. Otherwise, despite its weight, the headphone is fairly comfortable. The issue is related to its weight but some think they just aren't nailing the headband. If not with a computer I'm not sure when you'd be using headphones. But yes, with Sonarworks you'd need a computer although they're starting to support mobile devices, and I've actually taken the LCD-X on almost two-hour walks.

Jul 13, 2018 at 5:30 PM Post #304 of 4,987
A number of us have been impressed with Sonarworks. The thing is I'm not sure what headphones you have at this point to try it with. Presently it also supports a limited number. For instance, only the LCD-2 and LCD-X from Audeze, and 400i and 560 from Hifiman. I can tell you that with the LCD-X you'll definitely get an improvement in upper midrange and lower treble. Vocals will be clearer and brought more in line.

I'm not talking about refinement here. I'm talking about your expensive headphones not sounding kind of like crap. I'm well aware of how the LCD-X feels. I have a recently produced one with the new headband. It doesn't feel that heavy. The issue for me is that the metal piece of the headband is very close to the leather one or whatever it's made from and I get pressure/some pain on the top of my head. Otherwise, despite its weight, the headphone is fairly comfortable. The issue is related to its weight but some think they just aren't nailing the headband. If not with a computer I'm not sure when you'd be using headphones. But yes, with Sonarworks you'd need a computer although they're starting to support mobile devices, and I've actually taken the LCD-X on almost two-hour walks.

I know that weight isn't everything. Other factors also determine initially feelings regarding how comfortable wearing a headphone is.

But I believe 'the law of gravity,' which matters ultimately.

I work long hours with computer. From my experience, after about one and half hour using a headphone, discomfort (which hurts my neck) increases exponentially, not linearly, with weight. To me, it's kinda discomfort=hours * exp (weight).

Jul 13, 2018 at 5:53 PM Post #305 of 4,987
Gotcha, but thats easy to do, as Audeze are more expensive than hifiman. ive had good luck with customer service with both companys.
Lcd 2 $1000. X edition v2 was $1000. Similar pricing.

Personally I comfortably preferred and bought the lcd2. Could not quite justify the x ed. Have ordered the ananda though.

Totally about personal preferences. Even sonarworks is about personal preference

But i feel these are two companies that are driving prices up on top end gear. Whether it’s justifiedbdue to r&d i don’t know

Jul 13, 2018 at 5:53 PM Post #306 of 4,987
I've worn those headphones for several hours straight in front of a computer. Disagree with discomfort increasing exponentially and have never felt any neck discomfort or pain. Certainly have felt discomfort on top of my head though. With long use you can indeed get rather uncomfortable although interestingly I've found it bearable. The HD800S is a relief when it comes to comfort though. I'm currently trying to decide which headphone to keep between the two and comfort may be a factor.

Personally I comfortably preferred and bought the lcd2. Could not quite justify the x ed. Have ordered the ananda though.

Totally about personal preferences. Even sonarworks is about personal preference

But i feel these are two companies that are driving prices up on top end gear. Whether it’s justifiedbdue to r&d i don’t know

Recently they have also been dropping prices. The HEX and LCD-X initially were $1700-$1800. Now the HEXv2 and LCD-X are $1200 (I managed to get the LCD-X I have for $1000). The Ananda comes in at $1000, so hopefully things are trending in the right direction. The LCD-3 is a disgrace in my opinion.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2018 at 5:58 PM Post #307 of 4,987
I've worn those headphones for several hours straight in front of a computer. Disagree with discomfort increasing exponentially and have never felt any neck discomfort or pain. Certainly have felt discomfort on top of my head though. With long use you can indeed get rather uncomfortable although interestingly I've found it bearable. The HD800S is a relief when it comes to comfort though. I'm currently trying to decide which headphone to keep between the two and comfort may be a factor.

Recently they have also been dropping prices. The HEX and LCD-X initially were $1700-$1800. Now the HEXv2 and LCD-X are $1200 (I managed to get the LCD-X I have for $1000). The Ananda comes in at $1000, so hopefully things are trending in the right direction. The LCD-3 is a disgrace in my opinion.

The cause of discomfort is highly individual. However, you can't ignore the law of physics anyway. And the weight of LCDs was a very common complaint among users.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2018 at 7:56 PM Post #308 of 4,987

hifiman have many descent headphones under $1000: Audeze Might have 1

Jul 13, 2018 at 8:25 PM Post #309 of 4,987
hifiman have many descent headphones under $1000: Audeze Might have 1
Personal preferences again :)

I have no particular loyalty to either

The he560 and x ed are only now under $1000 as they are being discontinued.

This is not a criticism if hifiman. I would have bought the he560 a few years ago (i loved the timbre) if I hadn’t chosen the hd800 instead

Overall i like the general sound of hifiman but for me choosing headphones comes down to what i have already (looking for complementary options), what i use them for, what gear i have to uae them with and what I’m geneally listening to.

And leta not forget the isine aeries and sine headphones.

And yea the audezes lcd can be described as heavy

And as others here have said the hd800’s feel fantastic (and my main sysyem is built around that headphone)

YMMV.

Jul 13, 2018 at 10:06 PM Post #311 of 4,987
I wasn't sure if I could really expect any improvement because they were already Great , But I must say, Ananda is even better coming from the Balanced Out of the FiiO X7 Mark Ⅱ, this makes me very happy. :dt880smile:

IMG_7101.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2018 at 10:16 PM Post #313 of 4,987
I'd probably just get an Ananda or LCD-X at that point. The Sundara is all the way down at $500, which might make it a smart buy. By the way, you have the Elear at $1000. That's an interesting one. Not to mention the HD800 is now there too...

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2018 at 7:30 AM Post #315 of 4,987
I wasn't sure if I could really expect any improvement because they were already Great , But I must say, Ananda is even better coming from the Balanced Out of the FiiO X7 Mark Ⅱ, this make me very happy. :dt880smile:

At least with the rag, every can is improved on balanced. In some cases of other amps depending on design that's not true or open to argument. Not the Rag. I find more control and heft in the bass, and a quieter background in the treble, with more defined space and more overtones and recording details showing. In the mids staging seems more correct, but that could be an artifact of the treble changes.

I'd say the HE-500 is most improved, the bass going from borderline bloated to fulllsome, plus its the most accurate so the changes are most apparent. The Massdrop Fostex XO mahogany bass is also more controlled, but the treble still drives me to distraction, just less. All others about the same - notable and welcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back