Hifiman Ananda
Jun 15, 2018 at 4:58 PM Post #46 of 4,987
Isn't the Project Horizon an OTL tube amp with really high output impedance, and the Ananda a low impedance headphone?

Jun 15, 2018 at 5:19 PM Post #51 of 4,987
Isn't the Project Horizon an OTL tube amp with really high output impedance, and the Ananda a low impedance headphone?

It is and isn't OTL, but their amps have a lot of tweaking. You can switch it so the output impedance is at 1.5, so they're very versatile. Only thing I hate on it is the manual biasing on the Horizon.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2018 at 9:41 PM Post #53 of 4,987
It is and isn't OTL, but their amps have a lot of tweaking. You can switch it so the output impedance is at 1.5, so they're very versatile. Only thing I hate on it is the manual biasing on the Horizon.

It says OTL:

http://garage1217.com/garage1217_diy_tube_headphone_amplifiers_003.htm

Interesting that it can go down to 1.5 ohms output impedance though.

With a sensitivity at 103db i'm not sure they would be do very well with a portable amp? Also how much do they measure in performance to the Sundara if anyone has tried them? Thanks

Yeah I'd be interested in that comparison. I listened to the original Edition X in 2016 I think, and the Sundara impressed me more than that one did.

Jun 15, 2018 at 10:30 PM Post #54 of 4,987
With a sensitivity at 103db i'm not sure they would be do very well with a portable amp? Also how much do they measure in performance to the Sundara if anyone has tried them? Thanks

Portable amps don't have much trouble with these headphones. Quite easily driven. As for the Sundara, I did a quick search of the Sundara thread and people who mentioned the Edition X v2 tended to claim that the HEXv2 is a better headphone. If it isn't and accordingly if the Ananda isn't then that would be a problem. Would be curious to see more impressions.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2018 at 10:35 AM Post #58 of 4,987
This headphone is twice the price of Sundara so I expect twice the performance for me to buy:wink:
That's exactly how it works in this hobby! The Susvara is 6 times the performance of the Ananda... :wink:

Jun 22, 2018 at 12:21 PM Post #59 of 4,987
https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/hifiman/ananda/
fr-aangedrukt.png

Jun 22, 2018 at 4:37 PM Post #60 of 4,987
The diaphragm of the Edition X v2 was already described as "ultra-thin". So this one is supposed to be ultra-thinner? And they couldn't even be bothered with an announcement of some sort?
Ultra-thin is still ultra-thin even if it's just as thick as the original 'ultra-thin'. Why would it be any different? Unless every planar manufacturer upgrades their whole line-up to feature 'ultra-thin' drivers, it doesn't become a norm instead of something special.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back