Hifiman Ananda
Jun 28, 2018 at 3:34 PM Post #80 of 4,987
We need Susvara to not require nuclear power to drive it.

That's what the HE1000v2 is for. The SUSVARA isn't hard to drive for no reason, like the HE-6 and to a lesser extent the LCD-4. Dual magnet designs are harder to drive and stronger magnets probably make it harder to drive, among other things.

HE1000v2 at $2,000 would be more reasonable I think. Not sure how to price the SUSVARA, I have no experience with it but I'd guess no more than $3,000 which already puts it far above the Stax SR-007 which has significant inherent advantages.

Jun 28, 2018 at 5:26 PM Post #81 of 4,987
That's what the HE1000v2 is for. The SUSVARA isn't hard to drive for no reason, like the HE-6 and to a lesser extent the LCD-4. Dual magnet designs are harder to drive and stronger magnets probably make it harder to drive, among other things.

HE1000v2 at $2,000 would be more reasonable I think. Not sure how to price the SUSVARA, I have no experience with it but I'd guess no more than $3,000 which already puts it far above the Stax SR-007 which has significant inherent advantages.

The LCD 4Z has the strongest dual-sided magnet structure to date and it can be driven with just a smart phone.

Jun 28, 2018 at 6:38 PM Post #83 of 4,987
https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/hifiman/ananda/
fr-aangedrukt.png

The peak at 8.5k looks a bit daunting. Pad changes will help. Polite upper mids looks like.

Jun 28, 2018 at 7:41 PM Post #85 of 4,987
True but others can tell you about the compromise between the 4z and the 4.

I haven’t heard either. The LCD X and MX4 also have very powerful dual-sided magnets and low impedance with high sensitivity. The Empyrean, is also said to have powerful dual-sided magnets but only has an impedance of 35 ohms and a sensitivity of 100 db’s.

I just don’t know if it’s really the magnet structure that is the reason for the Susvara being so difficult to drive. You may be right, I don’t know.

Jun 28, 2018 at 7:43 PM Post #86 of 4,987
The peak at 8.5k looks a bit daunting. Pad changes will help. Polite upper mids looks like.

The HEX V2 I think had the same peak which bothered me a bit. Hopefully with a warmer tube will smooth those nasties out.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2018 at 7:45 PM Post #87 of 4,987

I've been having a hard time finding a HE-6 to buy, seems like the V2 or the Ananda could be a better solution since I'm worried about longevity of used cans. Also, I haven't heard any e-stats in some time, might be time to play with stats again.

Jun 28, 2018 at 8:00 PM Post #88 of 4,987
The HEX V2 I think had the same peak which bothered me a bit. Hopefully with a warmer tube it will smooth those nasties out.

Yeah, cept I like jfets and such. That 10k peak in the HE-500 isn't that annoying but 8.5k is a more dangerous area. If it irritates me on female vocals - it'll never make it for me.

Hybrid tubes I used to use to relax CD's, but since the advent of the Gumby multibit,, haven't needed them.

Jun 28, 2018 at 8:03 PM Post #89 of 4,987
I haven’t heard either. The LCD X and MX4 also have very powerful dual-sided magnets and low impedance with high sensitivity. The Empyrean, is also said to have powerful dual-sided magnets but only has an impedance of 35 ohms and a sensitivity of 100 db’s.

I just don’t know if it’s really the magnet structure that is the reason for the Susvara being so difficult to drive. You may be right, I don’t know.

It definitely isn't the only factor, but it's beyond me to try to identify all. I sure would love to A/B both the HE1000v2 and SUSVARA with a balanced Dynahi amp though.

I've been having a hard time finding a HE-6 to buy, seems like the V2 or the Ananda could be a better solution since I'm worried about longevity of used cans. Also, I haven't heard any e-stats in some time, might be time to play with stats again.

I think the older HiFiMan headphones like the HE-6 will last some time. Far more rugged build quality than say the Sundara and HE-560. I haven't read about many driver failures for the classic HiFiMans.

I may be selling my Code-6 in 2-3 weeks, depending on how it fares against the Stax SR-009.

Electrostats and planars are all I use. Though I will break this tradition with the ZMF Eikon soon.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2018 at 8:21 PM Post #90 of 4,987
It definitely isn't the only factor, but it's beyond me to try to identify all. I sure would love to A/B both the HE1000v2 and SUSVARA with a balanced Dynahi amp though.

I think the older HiFiMan headphones like the HE-6 will last some time. Far more rugged build quality than say the Sundara and HE-560. I haven't read about many driver failures for the classic HiFiMans.

I may be selling my Code-6 in 2-3 weeks, depending on how it fares against the Stax SR-009.

Electrostats and planars are all I use. Though I will break this tradition with the ZMF Eikon soon.

I used to have a pair of Stax 303 Classics - circa 1999. Imagine the latest generation shreds those.

Code-6 - yummy, better get my unused cans out there for sale to get my krona together... for the new or the old.

Don't like Sundara build quality, true.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back